What's the loudest gun you've ever shot?

The loudest gun I own is probably my M1 Garand. My mosin comes close, but the M1 seems to be slightly louder.

The loudest gun I've ever shot was without a doubt the M2 .50 cal. When that thing is going off it literally drowns out every other noise. I don't even know how to describe the noise coming from that beast, it's just intense.

My brother's M38 Mosin Nagant carbine. Spits fireballs, is extremely loud, and has a concussive blast that you can feel standing five feet behind the shooter. Not a pleasant gun to shoot.

I didn't actually get to push the button, but when the Navy boys let loose that Phalanx gun...WHOA! That pup was LOUD! And at 4500 rounds of 20mm per minute, it'll rattle your teeth out.

Loudest gun is a M82A1 .50 BMG

Loudest weapon is a Mk153 SMAW rocket launcher at 187 dB. Didn't actually pull the trigger on it but I was on the firing line when the rocket flew.

I've never found them to be particularly objectionable, but some of my handloads for my .41 Magnum have certainly gotten me some attention at the NRA Range.

When I had a SEI Coast Guard Comp on my M1A it was downright painful to be a spotter for the shooter and that's with Muffs over Plugs. The repeated concussion from the muzzle blast would give the spotter a headache and mild nausea after about a magazine.

hammie -Ruger new model Blackhawk - .30 US carbine.

Most folks have never heard one of these go off.
Ear splitting and deafening.
I have a good friend who is almost deaf in his left ear from standing next to me with poor hearing protection while I was shooting mine.
25 years later he still has ringing in that ear from that day.
He had foam plugs in his ears.

@madmo: I don't know what it is about the .30 carbine in a handgun. Maybe it's the frequency of the noise and also because it is so unexpected.

@jimbob: Anytime you're igniting 75-85 grains of powder at 55-60,000 psi, it is going to be memorable at both ends - the muzzle and the butt plate.

I wasn't shooting it but the guy next to me was shooting a .500 Smith and Wesson Revolver and it made me flinch every time he pulled the trigger.
Of course an M58 line charge to clear a mine field in Kuwait was pretty loud also. :D

@jimbob: Anytime you're igniting 75-85 grains of powder at 55-60,000 psi, it is going to be memorable at both ends - the muzzle and the butt plate.

The gun the guy was using it in probably made it worse: Barrel was cut to 24 inches and then had the brake installed ...... he said he put the brake on so it only kicked him in the ears ..... yeah, him and everybody else!

Loudest weapon is a Mk153 SMAW rocket launcher at 187 dB. Didn't actually pull the trigger on it but I was on the firing line when the rocket flew.

:eek: 187db, that is damn loud. Just for reference, A 14.5" AR shooting 5.56 is 165db, a 3db increase equates to twice the amplifying power hitting your ears. Do the math, I would hate to be standing anywhere near that thing.

dragline that was gonna be the 2nd loudest gun I was going to mention...a 16 inch 223 with a comp on it is stupid loud...:eek:

dragline that was gonna be the 2nd loudest gun I was going to mention...a 16 inch 223 with a comp on it is stupid loud...

That's why I don't use my AR for a home defense rifle. Mine's a 14.5" with a comp, would hate to fire that thing in my hallway.

.44 mag, 5" bbl. In the army it was a 106 Recoiless rifle. Was around 175 Howitzers at LZ Ross, really loud if they fired directly over us.

Back