What's the loudest gun you've ever shot?

Loud guns

Thinking about loudest guns reminded me about my dad. Back in the 60s he
belonged to a club that was having off hand rifle shoots in hunter class. Dad
and one other guy were always tying. The range guys got tired of the shoot
offs from the ties. So they were using coin toss to settle ties. Dad wasn't very
lucky on the coin toss, he was POed. He was shooting Win 70 in 308, the other
guy, same in 270. I had a Sako 375 H&H that dad hated. Dad began taking it
to those shoots. I ask him why, he said he was using it and sacrificing the first
shoot. According to dad after one blast from the 375, the other guy flinched
the rest of the shoot, letting him clean house.

Another vote for a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. Painful. I once hunted armadillo's nearly daily with mine without ear protection. Bad idea.

My brothers .257 Weatherby, fitted with a brake.

Foam ear plugs with muffs over them, and was still uncomfortable to shoot due to the noise. It literally hurt your ears. Didn't last too long before he traded it.

Woah thanks for participating everybody...I didn't expect anywhere near this much responses. So, military guns aside, I'm getting the consensus that magnum revolvers are just awful, and mosins are horrendous (I've read before that it has to do with the powder used in milsurp 7.62x54r...)...I've never shot a hunting rifle with a brake on it (my shoulder can take a beating and come back, ears....not so durable). I'm really astounded no one else has short barrelled 12 guage on here...again mine is only 12 inch barrels an with 3" shells it makes a .44 mag pistol (one of the few handguns I have shot) seem like a BB gun...and if you really want to have your brain scrambled, fire both barrels at the same time...it's truly exhilarating cheap fun but you pay for it in other ways...

Savage 111 LRH .338 Lapua was loud. It was louder when I was not shooting it and watching my buddy shoot it. He's a lucky man his wife bought it for him:D

Loudest ai jave shot: 22mag short barrel revolver. Loudest I have heard on a range is a 44mag snubby. That was louder than the long barrelled 454 at the end of the range.

I've got a Winchester Timber Carbine in .450 Marlin with an 18" ported barrel that turns some heads at the range.

The Mosin my brother and I chopped down to 16 1/8" a couple months ago. :cool:

Made a BIG fireball, and a HUGE BOOM!!! :eek:

I had double ear pro and it rattled me so much that my teeth hurt, the muzzle blast felt like a slap on the cheek.

That's probably the loudest I've personally fired, but one time at a local indoor shooting range a guy was shooting what looked like an 11"ish AR SBR with a brake right next to me and it was soooo loud, I HAD to move away because even with double ear pro it was physically painful. To be frank I was actually pretty irked but it probably was exceptionally loud for me due to being parallel to the muzzle brake. That's probably the loudest gun I've personally heard.

Woah thanks for participating everybody...I didn't expect anywhere near this much responses. So, military guns aside, I'm getting the consensus that magnum revolvers are just awful

I can attest to this. 3 years ago or so I fired a single hot .357 magnum out of a 3" revolver and my left ear still rings to this day. It was my carry gun and after that experience I sold it as I would hate to have to fire a cylinder full. Since then on a camping trip my buddy tapped off a 9mm accidentally in the car with all the windows up, even with my left ear being more susceptible to damage since the first incident my ears only rang for a few minutes before going back to what is normal for me.

Back