What Rimfire .22 handgun do you own?

I've had some experience shooting NRA Bullseye competition at 50' with both a High Standard Victor as well as a S&W M41. Both were far more accurate than I could hold, even off sandbags....almost like miniature target rifles in that regard.

I still own the M41 but it rarely makes a trip out to our home range anymore. Heavy, with target stocks, it just isn't an auto that I holster carry here on the farm.

Later, I found a well cared for Colt Match Target Woodsman with a 4.5" bbl. that I played with for a considerable time, but ended up giving it to #2 son who had an eye for it. It was as good as the M41 Smith for accuracy.

Currently, I'm getting used to a new to me, Ruger Standard Mkll that I like very much. It's a bit muzzle light for serious Bullseye competition, but does fine for our informal shoots here. I've sewed up a Tom Threepersons open top holster for it that fits to perfection and have been carrying it for a month or two. Yesterday, my 13 yo grand-daughter shot several 5-shot groups from 10 yds, that you could cover with a quarter...she's gunna be a hellofa shot when she's a bit older.

I also like and carry from time to time, a Colt Diamondback 4" bbl'd .22 that's fun to tote. It's light, muzzle heavy enough to 'hang' well in offhand, but not so much to sag your trouser belt while carrying it. It's not as accurate as any of the above but still a nice looking revolver.

We've also had a cpl of Ruger Single Sixes in .22LR and Magnum over the years. Just now there's a 4-5/8" bbl'd one in the safe waiting on a suitable holster for some field work. All of them have been very accurate, well below 2" gps at 25 yds with most any ammunition, and make great training guns for new shooters.

For my center-fire autos, I've tried to find .22 uppers that functioned well & gave good accuracy over the years. I've got 'em for a Sig P226, and several 1911's. Ciener's work well and give me quarter to fifty cent piece groups at 25 yds with selected ammunition, but the Marvel unit is fully Bullseye Competition ready. It's on a par with the M41 and Victor, and better than the Woodsman.

All are fun and you can shoot 'em guilt free now that .22's are back on the shelves. I'll never be caught again like the Obama years of drought.

HTH's, Rod

Last edited:
Stainless Mk III 5.5in Target
Stainless Single Six convertible 6.5in

Looking at a MK IV 22/45 Target but I don't know cause I'm also looking at a 7 shot GP100 .357

Looking at a MK IV 22/45 Target but I don't know cause I'm also looking at a 7 shot GP100 .357

So you need to choose between an apple or an orange, not between two apples or two oranges. :)

Since the thread is about 22 rimfire I guess you need to get the Ruger MK IV 22/45 Target. Now wasn't that easy?

Ron

I’ve had a bunch of different 22s, but I’ve been enjoying tinkinering with the Ruger Mk III series lately. I’ve tried a SW 422, SW Victory, Ruger MkIV and most recently a SW 41. Never really warmed up to these as I have the MkIIIs.

I’ve done a 22/45 with VQ internals and a TK trigger and comp.

WwiX5Dr.jpg

A Hunter with VQ internals, TK trigger and TK extended mag release.

NoYMMU4.jpg

And I just finished doing a full VQ internal kit on another MkIII frame what I topped with a VQ LLV.

cDExGfb.jpg

I know the MkIIIs don’t get much love, but I’ve found with the right upgrades they are my preferred generation. And they are cheap to pick as a bonus.

.22s

A T/C Contender with 8" and 10" barrels.
S&W 317 Airlite
Ruger Mk.II Gov't
High Standard Victor
Pardini Free pistol PGP75

Pete

Just two, a Browning Buckmark and a Ruger single six convertible.
I seem to shoot the Buckmark a bit better but I haven't had the Ruger very long.

1947 6 3/4 inch bbl High Standard HD Military
1958 6 inch bbl SW model 17 no dash ( Lettered )
1956 6 inch bbl Third Series Colt Woodsman Match Target ( Lettered )

Last edited:
My first rimfire .22 handgun was a Buckmark, followed by a Tangfolio .22 with a .45acp barrel and slide. Next came a Sig, then a Ruger Mark IV, and last was a Ruger SR22. I think I have enough .22 handguns. Well, reading the preceding post on Heritage 9 shots have me rethinking.

Many have come and gone over the years. Still currently in the stable, a Ruger Super Single Six convertible, a Ruger Mk I target, a T/C Contender, a couple of Lugers, and a Browning Challenger.

I have a few :

1958 vintage Ruger Single Six, (old Model), 5.5"
Ruger Mk III, heavy barrel target
Browning Buckmark, standard model
Browning Buckmark, 5.5 heavy target
Colt 3rd Gen Woodsman, 6"
Colt Official Police, 6"

I've owned a few but now

Ruger 22/45 4 3/4" Standard Stainless (I gave my son a 5.5" Bull)
Ruger SP101 4.25" 8 Shot
Pre warning 5.5" Single Six Convertible

I think that's all I'll ever need :)

Back