What kind of hand gun would you like to see produced?

A .45 ACP Beretta 92SF. I want one, but I can't stand 9mm or .40. And I wish someone would start making something similar to that .44 Automag that Dirty Harry had.

And the 2 completely unrealistic things I want, since Taurus came out with the Judge that's chambered in .410, I would love to see some kind of 12 gauge Judge, I know it would be ridiculous, but I would still get one. And the other one, most of the guns in Star Wars were based off of real guns, so I would love to have a Sterling L2A3 that looks like one a Stormtrooper blaster or one of the Mausers like Han had.

You know all those cheap brass framed black powder revolvers? Why not some cheap .22 lr brass framed revolvers?

Deaf Smith said:
Browning High Power with a longer tang, better safety, and in STAINLESS STEEL!

The Israelis made a stainless version of their Kareen with a long beavertail. That's not too far off. I've been thinking pretty hard about tracking one down.

Last edited:
In meeting Gaston Glock in 1984, in Toronto, I said any chance of a very slim 10 magazine capacity 9mm pistol.

Would have been perfect for CC (not in Canada!) but now he has the Glock 19Gen4, just about perfect for every day carry (which I do!) tricked out.

I want an actual walther made PPK in 9mm mak. And I think I would like a LCR in 327 mag.
That has been one of my dream guns as well. But I have been told, and rightly so, that the SAAMI pressure standard for the 327 Federal Magnum is much higher than even the 357 Magbum making a 327 LCR highly unlikely. The 327 being 45,000 psi VS 35,000 for the 357.

Maybe I'm a weirdo(ok, I AM a weirdo) but...

I'd like to see some ccw semi-auto pistols with longer barrels. Like my SR9C lower with an SR9 upper. Then offer that pistol in 10mm and .45acp. Heck, just a SR10c and a SR45c would be a nice start. Anyone else think a short grip/long barrel make sense for cc?

I'd also like to see some double action revolvers in 45lc. GP, SP, LCR in 45lc? I was hoping that the popularity of Judges and Governors would bring about double action 45lc pistols for people that don't want the .410 aspect.

Sorry to sound like a Ruger fanboy. I'm really not. I'm just more familiar with them.

I know this is the handgun forum but I would love to get a semi-auto 10mm carbine with a 16 or 18" barrel and a 20 round magazine.

I was hoping that the popularity of Judges and Governors would bring about double action 45lc pistols for people that don't want the .410 aspect.

Are you listening Taurus? Shorten the frame and cylinder on the PD and PD Poly and voilà, the Juror . A 45 Colt somewhat compact and light, especially in poly, D/A carry revolver.

BTW, even with the extra length of the cylinder my PD Poly is quite accurate with 45 Colt loads.

"I thought about starting a new thread but remembered this old one. I like my idea so much I just had to share it and raise this thread from the dead.

I always ragged on the broomhandled mausers as ugly but I think I would like to see a reproduction in .22lr by say GSG. I would definately buy one."

1) I can't believe you remembered a 6 year old thread :D
and
2) +1 on the plinker broomhandle :cool:

My entry to the list would be a new anything doublestack pistol in 7.62x25. Cheap import ammo is gone, so manufacturers have no competition to worry about undercutting their operations, and the small/fast projectile is perfect for both armor/barrier penetration as well as rapid bullet expansion in a man-sized animal. With a quality hollowpoint, it would functionally bridge the gap between 9mm and 357mag, but penetrate less (with expanding ammo) and feed from any autoloader design with a stretched magwell.

TCB

Some comments and thoughts on recent posts.

CCCLVII, Ferretboy, et al - Breaktop revolvers. Keep in mind that break top revolvers have inherent weaknesses in the design. The latch mechanisms are generally not robust enough to stay locked under magnum recoil. Plus there will be a lot of wear and pounding on the front hinge of the frame. At least until someone comes up with much better designs.

barnbwt - Broomhandle (1896) Mauser pistol in .22LR. IIRC, one of the earlier Charter Arms incarnations produced a "Mauser-like" pistol with the magazine in front of the trigger. Even in .22LR, it didn't sell well and they dropped it. However, if we went full-goose Gonzo and built that Mauser pistol in .45 ACP and 10mm with detachable box magazines... :cool: And since the length of the cartridge won't affect the grip, we could offer it in .45 ACP and .30 Carbine to start with, since the .30 Carbine makes a dandy pistol cartridge. (Obviously modify and simplify the action to reduce costs too.)

Cheapshooter, et al - Small, compact .45 caliber revolver. Taurus did make their "Big Bore Snubbies" for a while, including 5 shot .41/.44/.45. The models were designated as 415 (.41 Mag), and 445 or similar for the others. Ask Taurus how well they (didn't) sell. Seems there are some of us who like the idea, but aren't willing to buy. S&W's 696, a .44 Special 5-shot L-frame, sold poorly (and wasn't well marketed, IMHO) but now demands a premium. If we want these guns, we have to drum up the interest and specify the format. These would be carry guns and I see them with a 2.5-3 inch heavy barrel, low profile fixed sights, a smooth combat trigger, round butt grip, unshrouded ejector rod and made in a matte stainless steel finish.

Creek Henry - For cowboy shooting, why not a small break-top six-shooter in .32 H&R Magnum (also shoots .32 Long)? The .327 Magnum would be too much for a break top action I think.

a compact 9mm revolver that takes advantage of the shorter case length of the 9mm to make the cylinder shorter

I believe that Taurus used to make such a gun. About 6 or 7 years back I had the chance to buy one used. Had the chance but not the change :(

I'm pretty sure it had a short cylinder, compared to .38 Special guns. I can't remember if it was a 5 or a 6-shooter.

Bart Noir

[
CCCLVII, Ferretboy, et al - Breaktop revolvers. Keep in mind that break top revolvers have inherent weaknesses in the design. The latch mechanisms are generally not robust enough to stay locked under magnum recoil. Plus there will be a lot of wear and pounding on the front hinge of the frame. At least until someone comes up with much better designs."

The Russians did it, why cant we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP412_REX

Attachments

• 357rex.jpg
    357rex.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 11
Ferretboy,

In 2009 I had a long discussion with an entrepreneur who wanted to bring back the Merwin-Hubert revolvers. During that discussion we talked about top breaks. He'd done his market research for the M-W revolvers and found considerable interest in the cowboy shooters and historical buffs. Since break tops like the Schofield are competitors, he researched them too.

When it came to break-tops, he found some folks were interested but not many would be the first to pony up money for a .357 break top. Lower powered cartridges from .32 to .38 Colt and .38 Special sure. Even .44-40 or .44 Special would have gotten interest. Among defensive users and hunters there was even less interest. He said the market isn't there for a top break .357 revolver.

He also pointed out there were some "challenges" to making a break top reliable and durable with the higher pressure cartridges. Maybe the Russians found a way to make the hinge & latch durable but he didn't think the design effort would break even from sales.

I am far from an expert, but, I enjoy the learning. I wonder if the answer is in the 6 o'clock position might be the answer on the pressure issues with the hinge and latch. A top break Rhino type revolver. If nothing else the speculation is fun. I would buy one if they were developed and made availablle. A guy can always dream.

BillCA

Broomhandle (1896) Mauser pistol in .22LR. IIRC, one of the earlier Charter Arms incarnations produced a "Mauser-like" pistol with the magazine in front of the trigger. Even in .22LR, it didn't sell well and they dropped it

Yes it was the AR-7 Explorer II pistol.

c58e79ab2146a7a8dcf070fd6ca5b274.jpg

And your correct, it didn't sell very well.

Ferretboy - I understand all too well. I think it would be pretty awesome if someone could modernize and develop a .45 ACP version of the old Webley .455 pistols. The short cylinder helps keep the overall length down and a 2-3" barrel like the old "bulldog" revolvers would make a dandy carry gun. Such a gun, made to fire five .45 ACP +P using 185 to 200 gr JHP would be just the ticket when equipped with automatic ejection and tweaked to use (half)moon clips as well as single cartridges. I could foresee that chambered in 9mm and .40 S&W too. :cool:

egor20 - thanks for the update. I knew about it, even fired one once, but couldn't recall the name. A friend had both the AR-7 rifle and the pistol. Both worked decently for a "survival" gun. The pistol was a bit awkward but suitable for potting squirrels or rabbits.

If someone decided to make a .45 Mauser-style pistol, I'd certainly be up for it as long as it wasn't hugely expensive. Make it in 10mm (or 10mm mag) with a double stack box magazine and it'd be seriously cool.

Back