What kind of hand gun would you like to see produced?

The 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP? Like this one from Precision Small Arms?

At first I thought you meant the 1903 Pocket hammerless in .32/.380 until I realized the 1908 was the teeny .25 Auto. But then I thought.... Could someone make a compact version similar to the 1903 in .38 Super? Why not? The Pocket Hammer was chambered for .38 ACP. Some modern metallurgy and a little redesign[¹] could give you a hot little "pocket" pistol[²].

DSC01546.jpg

¹ The .32/.380 and .38 ACP were all blowback designs. The .38 Super requires a locked breech system like the 1911. Why .38 Super? Because it's a nifty cartridge and it's not yet another 9mm.
² Where a pocket is more like the pocket on a man's suit coat or slacks, not the smaller, tighter pockets of some of today's clothing.

Dream guns

New mateba 6 unica
Witness limited or stock2 in 460 rowland
sig p220 match elite in 10 mm or 460 rowland
Semi handguns in a 50 cal round like.50 gi but more punch, say. 50 gi maximum if we are looking to name it. Give me a. 50 in the mid 300 grain at 1000+ fps
More 8 round .357 revolvers
A new shorter. 44 mag round like .460 Rowland but slightly longer that could be more easily adapted to semis because of the shorter length and lower pressure andhandguns to fire it
A steel xds. 45
Someone said a cz 97 in 10 mm he'll yeah and a high power too.
Ruger 22/45 with the 45 style steel frame instead of the stupid plastic one and while you are doing that chamber it in 5.7 x28 and for god's sake make them all hold more then 10 rounds
An alchemy arms specter in 10 mm and. 45. Hey kids Now you can have a metal glock, get respect from the 1911 guys AND be seen in public with it and not feel like you got caught riding a pink scooter with an ugly chick!
1911... Heck everything in 7.62 x25. And since you are tooling up for dream land make some jhp rounds for it. Don't forget the full copper ones at insane velocity because at some point you are going to have to drop a mountain lion in body armor at 100 yard. Seriously that happens all the time.
If we are dreaming where is all the cool guns with caseless ammo. It's 2013 for heaven's sake I don't need a gausse rifle but cartriges are barbaric.
Where the heck are the guns with biometrics!? Seriously if we can make a phone the size of a tic tac that communicates with a freaking satellite in SPACE we can build a gun only I can shoot. Not to sound unappreciatev but I've had paintball guns that talked to me, had programmable fire modes, lcd displays with more options then a blackberry, we're laptop programmable and could tell you howmany rounds you fired and at what speed. Handgun manufacturers are seriously slacking.

Unfortunately, until biometrics are 99% reliable, no one is likely to want that on a gun they trust their life to. And what if its cold and I am wearing gloves? All the other electronics should be available by now though. I want the count readout and thermal, zoom, reddot switchable sight.

Bah

There are at least two company's that make round counters. As far as the biometric thing the custom uses a watch or similar transmitting device on the person to arm the gun. No actual contact is needed. As. Long as it is in close proximity to the watch it fires. Unless they cut your hand off and let's hope they don't figure that one out.

There are at least two company's that make round counters. As far as the biometric thing the custom uses a watch or similar transmitting device on the person to arm the gun. No actual contact is needed. As. Long as it is in close proximity to the watch it fires. Unless they cut your hand off and let's hope they don't figure that one out.

I am sure people have see Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen (A good 90 minutes of brainless fun), so they would think of that

Hmm, have not seen 2 manufacturers with round counters. Will have to do some looking then since there was no link in that post.

Where the heck are the guns with biometrics!? Seriously if we can make a phone the size of a tic tac that communicates with a freaking satellite in SPACE we can build a gun only I can shoot. Not to sound unappreciatev but I've had paintball guns that talked to me, had programmable fire modes, lcd displays with more options then a blackberry, we're laptop programmable and could tell you howmany rounds you fired and at what speed. Handgun manufacturers are seriously slacking.

What would these weapons have in common with a flashlight?

The old adage that a flashlight is a storage container for dead batteries.

Things I would love to own:

A stainless sig p210

A 45acp steel frame in the p239 form

A 22 lr ppk or sig p232. Zamack guns don't count

7 shot 357 gp100

A 45 colt alaskan.. Not 454 / 45

A steel framed sig 938.. Might see this one since they have the steel 238

If ruger made a 5 shot 45 colt I would be all over it. I am guessing the tarus offerings in big bore 5 shot guns sold poorly due to distrust of tarus.

A slim, steel framed auto that shoots 22 win mag. Something like the old amt but that actually feeds well

I'm still shocked that no manufacturer has come up with a 2/3-size version of the FN Five-seveN in 5.7x28mm that will sell in the $500 range... Instead of 20 rds it'll have 13 or 14 so will be a small yet high-cap SD gun that will sell like hotcakes and revolutionize attitudes about the 5.7x28mm round, eventually making it nearly as popular as 9mm... or so...

You'll see...!

Last edited:
Round counter

Power 5 look up radetec and round counter. Com one is a mag base plate with a displayand the other grips with a display on the side.
Bill, many electronic devices now run on small lithium ion batteries that last months easily. A counter could draw milliwatts and only be on when in use. A button cell could last all year or longer depending on use.

EonughGun - I'm well aware of the long shelf life of Lithium batteries. But for items that may sit for a long time in a safe you don't want to find out that its reached its end-of-life when you decide to use it. Sure, it'll be just another maintenance item, but I've also had batteries go bad in as little as six months (leakage).

Electronics are fine for ancillary items but not for "mission critical" duty like ignition of the cartridge (including allowing access to fire the gun). That's my 2¢ worth and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

I've never been a fan of electronics on guns. I just thought of another reason why. What about an emp burst from a nuclear explosion or from solar activity? Sure neither happens often but that is a scenario in which you would likely need a functioning gun. Emp from a nuke may never happen or it could happen today. Emp from the Sun WILL happen. Just a matter of time.

Just something to think about that's all.

I would like to see a better variety of (reliable) .22 LR pistols in small and medium formats. The Browning 1911 .22 is nice and getting at what I would like to see, but the guns need sights that us ol' guys can see.

And if anyone could just design a reliable double-stack .22 LR magazine....

Boarhunter

A modern top break revolver in .45 acp and another in .357 mag. with a 5 inch barrel! I believe the Russians started designing one and only got to the prototype phase...

Lemme see, what would I love to see available?

Ruger 1911 Longslide 10mm. Would make an awesome hunting auto. I'd even take a Taurus.

Dan Wesson to bring back their revolvers, from .22 to .445, and at a price south of $1000.

Ruger to bring back the Maximum frame size and offer it in blue or stainless.

A factory 1911 in .460 Rowland.

Companies offering blued guns to go back to the old Royal and Brite blue finishes.

I'd like to see a 5-shot S&W L-frame in 41 Special, with light weight 4" barrel.
A 170 gr JHP at 1200 fps, or a 200 gr WFN-GC at 1150 fps would be a great sidearm.

I'd like to see a 5-shot S&W L-frame in 41 Special, with light weight 4" barrel.
A 170 gr JHP at 1200 fps, or a 200 gr WFN-GC at 1150 fps would be a great sidearm.
The old .41 Colt cartridge was considered (By Elmer Keith no less) to be a more effective man stopper than any .38 Special and better than its paper ballistics would indicate.

The .41 Colt pushed a 200gr LFP between 620-700 fps.

The .41 Special doesn't (yet) have a standardized length. Some trim brass to 1.160 and others 1.150". Yet, mild loads from 800-1100 fps can be had with a 215gr LSWC (and with much better accuracy than the .41 LC). Oddly, in my experience (as well as a few others) simply "lightly loading" the .41 Mag brass down to 800 fps results in poor bullet stability... until the brass is trimmed to the shorter "Special" lengths. Go Figure.

I think the problem is convincing anyone that (a) the .41 Special is needed, (b) that people will buy it and (c) someone will make a quality gun for it.

We've seen some cartridges come and either fade from interest (.32 H&R Mag, .357 Maximum, etc.) or just downright die on the vine (9mm Federal). These cost the ammo and gun companies considerable sums of money. Making the argument that this is somehow "better" than the nearly ubiquitous .40 S&W will be difficult.

That said, I could see a Charter Arms Bulldog rechambered in .41 Special being a bit of fun.

A S&W Pro Series N framed .44 special with 4 " barrel and non-pinned interchangeable front sight ( like on model 627 ) !

Sig P220 made with a blued carbon steel frame and slide....a carbon steel 1911 .45 acp model by Sig as well !

Back