What is a good pocket gun?

My current summer/pocket carry is the Springfield xds, in a DeSantis pocket holster. I'm carrying the .45 so it's 5+1 with a 7 round spare. Also comes in 9 and 40. For a 3.3" barrel it's remarkably accurate out to 15 yards (15 being the furthest I've practiced with it). Good luck!

Most posters have about the same suggestions.

But if you had pockets like my Uncle Skeezik the shoplifter anything from
a Colt New Service, an 8-inch 686 and plenty of room left over for a three-pound salami.

I'm 6'6" and weigh 285. I wear pants that fit, so I carry a 642. It works well. If you're a guy who wears loose fitting pants, you could easily go a little larger. A 686+ 7 round .357 would be a good compromise between a 642 and the 627 N frame snub nosed someone else mentioned above. I personally prefer a revolver for pocket carry, gets pretty linty in there.

I used to carry my KelTec 380 , a Colt mustang , older 380 PPK/s. But lately I finding a PF-9 KelTec going with me more and more . Near a 1000 rounds trouble free and I got use to the snappy recoil.

A reliable 38spl+P revolver with:

An aluminum frame and a shrouded or hidden hammer
5 shot cylinder (thinner width)
Non rubber grips (too tacky)
A S&W emblem on the frame ;)

For several years, my pocket carry has been an S&W 49. Prior to that, I carried a Kel-Tec P11 or PF9. I'm considering going back to the P11, but first I need a fair amount of practice to regain my accuracy with that 'dart-gun' trigger. The pistol itself is reliable, but the heavy trigger needs constant practice.

ifithitu, I have a less curved version of that same knife. It's simple, elegant, and extremely durable. I've carried it through a lot of woods and across several mountain ranges over the years.

Back when I was doing house/mobile home repair an old man I used to do work for always wore bib overalls. I never knew it till he showed me but he carried a model 10 with a 4" barrel in his front pocket. He carried that gun in every store he went in no one ever knew it. This was in the 1980s way before Texas had any sort of CHP laws. Just goes to show what you can do with the right clothes.

It goes bang without fail. Durable as a tank. Lost in pocket in holster.
Fits in your pocket so well because they are empty after spending $1400 on a pocket pistol that isn't made any more, and doesn't work any better than all the others mentioned in this thread for 1/3 or less the price!:eek:

Don't have one myself because I find that a cheap IWB works better for 9mm but if I were comfortable with a little weight in a larger pocket I would go for a Keltec or SCCY 10+1 9mm.

The right answer is whatever you like best.

I carry an LCP, loaded with Hornady self-defense rounds, and spare mags. I also recognize it's a B#### to shoot so I put at least 50 rounds per month through it to make sure I'm capable.

I carry an LCP, loaded with Hornady self-defense rounds, and spare mags. I also recognize it's a B#### to shoot...

This is a problem with a lot of small guns. It's a major reason I stick with the fatter but still viable LCR. The LCR is surprisingly comfortable to shoot in .38 special. (As in, I do it for fun.) Full-power .357 magnum starts getting up into the category mentioned above and that helped me to fall in love with .327 Federal. It's got power levels between 9mm and .357 magnum, recoil on par with .38 +p, and one more round on the wheel.

Taurus PT- 22. Excellent gun.

Barrel is hinged at the front, and has a nice little 1911 - type thumb safety.

I have two of them that are in the pocket carry rotation along with a newly - purchased Ruger LCR.

Pocket holster is a must.

Like my Colt Govt. 380. Size of the Mustang but Govt in design.

Then there is the P7 which is a bit big but fits in a jacket or coat pocket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a Taurus TCP and I like it a lot. So far it's been very reliable in test shooting and is very compact and lightweight. I know there are very similar designs from other manufacturers but the Taurus has a slide lock (I like that) and was the cheapest. I paid $199 two years ago for the first one and last December a local shop had them on sale for $149 and I bought a back up.

Many folks want more than a 380 (so do I for that matter) but I want the smallest and lightest carry gun I can get with some reasonable power. This fills the bill for me. It has a 6+1 capacity making superior in my book to any compact revolver. I load it with "boutique" ammo using a 90 grain JHP at a claimed 1,000 FPS. Should work...I hope.

standard.jpg

Back