What is a good pocket gun?

I am 6'6". Cargo shorts are my friends. I carry an LCP/P3AT, LCR, or lightweight hammerless J frame either in the cargo pocket, or in a back pocket if I know I'm not going to sit down. In cooler coat weather I carry a snub 44 (bulldog). An LCP/P3AT can also fit easily in the breast pocket of a denim jacket. As someone with big hands I had to put larger grips on the LCR to be able to shoot it decently.

Hey 357,
take a look here, Guns and Ammo did a good job on looking at 9mm single stacks, most of which qualify as a pocket gun.
I'm on the same side of 6' and weight as you, and like my LC9s as a pocket carry, which the Pro version is reviewed in this article.
I've shot several of the others, personal preferences aside, I expect many of these would be worth a gander.

Good 9mm pocket gun comparison

PM9....399.99 at CDNN black DLC with night sights too. A small size up would be a p9 that shoots even better.

PM9....399.99 at CDNN black DLC with night sights too. A small size up would be a p9 that shoots even better.

Whatever you deCide it needs to be something that you carry EVERY DAY. As others have suggested, S&W J-Frame, Glock 26, or Glock 36

Shrouded hammer J-frame 638 (.38) or 649 (.357) - no snag draw, DA for speed, SA for accuracy. I also have an LCP, but it's not as accurate or reliable and it feels like a cheap toy to me (need to bang a couple of pins back in after range sessions).

This little gem works for pocket carry. The Taurus PT22 loaded with 40 grain solids.

TKPbiM7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite of you. I'm 6 foot tall and only 150 lbs, so just about anything and everything prints out on my body no matter where I carry. I carry a Makarov in my front pocket(could be mistaken for a wallet), either the 9mm or the .380(I have both). I think I really prefer the .380 just a bit more. But, it is an all metal gun and slides in and out of the pocket with ease. It is also a medium size gun, but doesn't lump out real bad. Some of these pistols are just like the Sticky Holster. It just doesn't want to come out of the pocket that easy and it sticks to the inside of the pocket. It's not like I'm going to try to do a quick draw from my front pocket if I get into a situation, but I don't want to stand there for a full minute trying to get it out either! Disadvantage?-it would be hard to shoot in a dark place, such as the movie theater situation in Colorado. Best gun for a situation like this would be a lazer sighted gun.

Hammer can be caught in fabric

Just place thumb over hammer problem solved. Was done that way for years .
A revolver is a "snatch" weapon. It is "snatched" out of the pocket in a time of duress with the maximum of speed. You may practice at home putting your thumb over the hammer, but when it hits the fan, you may find that despite all your practice, your usually and precisely placed thumb may not even find the hammer. The pocket carry is far from ideal to begin with and inasmuch as there is no purpose for a hammer spur on a "snatch" gun, it makes little sense to have one there.

I pocket carried a 642 for years but recently switched to a Sig P938. Great little gun. I get to carry 8 rounds in the P938 vs 5 in the 642 with very little weight increase. On top of that the P938 is a fantastic shooter. I have also pocket carried a Glock 26 or LCP on occasion, but think the P938 is the best overall for me at this point.

I pocket carry a Diamondback DB9. I like mine, it works just fine and is reliable. You will see people gripe about them, but I have to wonder if these people actually ever owned and carried one (I'm sure, some of them have). Anyway, I find that its one of the easiest 9mm's to pocket carry.

I can pocket carry my Boberg, but since Bond Arms has acquired them (and it's questionable whether Bond will ever produce them) I don't carry it.

My vote for true pocket carry: Ruger LCP Custom in a DeSantis pocket holster.

During the summer it is either cargo shorts or wrangler blue jeans. In the shorts it goes in the front pocket and slides in and out easily. In blue jeans it goes in the hip pocket and resembles a wallet.

The pistol actually operates without being removed from the holster. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the rig.

Personally I am 5'9" and 200 so I'm sure the big guys could really handle one in their pockets.

As others have said, LCP and a good pocket holster are almost standard at this point. Even if you want something bigger in your other pocket: few good reasons not to have an LCP if you want a handgun for pocket carry.

I used to pocket carry a Colt Walker. It doubled as a smoke screen and the occasional chain fire could launch 6 44cal and a flying barrel assembly

Back