What is a good pocket gun?

What is a good pocket gun

Considering in an attack within 6'-10', you would probably miss a stop to the advance 57% of the time. More ammo than a revolver is appropriate...with a well maintained semi-auto.

I have carried several different pocket gun at various times. LCP, LCR, PT22, and right now I am carrying M&P 9 compact in a Sticky holster. It works well, and is used as a back up gun. Primary right now is Glock 19.

What is a good pocket gun?
Now that everybody, including me, has submitted their own personal choice we can get to the right answer.
A gun that fits in your pocket comfortably, and conceals easily which you can shoot well, is 100% reliable that you have confidence in!
Be it semi-auto, or revolver. 32, 380, 9MM, 38, 357. It has to be something you will carry, and can shoot well.

When CCW became accessible in my state I carried a S&W bodyguard .380, but I didn't enjoy shooting it, despite ease of carry. About a year or so ago I traded it in and got a Sig P250 subcompact for my EDC, it's bigger but I like taking it to the range.

As many have already said, it's about what you will practice with and be comfortable with using.

Pocket carry with appropriate holsters:

Summer pants pocket carry: Kel Tec P32 (disappears in my pocket but always ready), Beretta Pico (bulky pants only)

Winter pants pocket or jacket pocket: Beretta Pico

Winter heavy coat pocket: SCCY CM2, Taurus PT 740 slim

Also have used: NAA Guardian .32 acp, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Beretta Tomcat (until frame cracked during practice), AMT Backup .380, Seecamp .32 acp, Colt Jr. .25 acp

I suggest . . .

I suggest a Sig p238 or a Bersa Thunder 380 CC.
Both a great guns and very "pocketable."

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Shield

Depending on the size of your pockets, I'm really impressed by the accuracy and shoot-ability of the M&P Shield for such a small thin gun.

Seecamp 32 ACP or 380ACP. Both are the same size. They are very small, light, well made, accurate and dependable. Perfect pocket guns.

I have tried multiple pocket sized guns over the years and always came back to the Ruger LCP. For me, it is the perfect size for summer time CCW or when your choice of clothing for the day won't allow concealment of anything larger.

I always try to carry the largest firearm that can be effectively concealed by my choice of dress for the day, and some days my Ruger LCP is the largest firearm that I can conceal on my person.

I have the so called Gen 2 LCP (not the LCP Custom w/red trigger), with larger built in sights and an improved trigger. I vastly prefer it to the original LCP. With larger sights and an improved trigger, the chances of effective shot placement increase over the Gen 1.

The LCP is well made, reliable, extremely thin, and is backed by a company with an excellent reputation for customer service. Plus they can be had for as low as $199 new on sale. That is why I recommend the Ruger LCP.

I'm a big guy myself and a lot of time I carry an LC9 in a pocket holster. I don't feel under gunned and I hardly noticed it's there.

The LCR is great in this role. The grips might seem a little large but they work wonders on recoil and control. I find that a lot of pocket travel actually improves the grips by making them less tacky. I think it's from the action of fine dust/lint while walking, sitting, getting up, etc. That said, pocket guns should be cleaned regularly because that dust/lint will work its way into the gun!

Back