What is a good pocket gun?

I pocket carry a CM9 when wearing cargo pants and a Remington RM380 in jeans. I have a few dao snubs but I prefer the semis. I do carry the revolvers in my jacket pockets in cooler weather though.

i recently discovered the naa guardian 32acp for my pocket pistol. excellent factory warranty, steel absorbs recoil so essential range practice is actually fun, snag-free design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems LCP is the most popular choice and I agree. I keep mine loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo and feel confident it will do the job for which it was intended to do.

Lcp with +1 extended mag. blackhawk #2 pocket holster
loaded with ol' school Hornady xtp's
lcp2.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps you simply need more experience?

My TCP is borderline bulletproof.

It's taken some tweaking to get there, but I trust it completely, and trust is not something I do lightly.

You perhaps need to get away from your computer more often, and actually SEE what a Taurus is capable of, instead of repeating what Taurus-haters say.

Hornetguy the OP asked for opinions on good pocket guns. Based on personal experience, several of us have suggested the LCP. You seem to think the Taurus is a good choice. Good enough. Taurus quality, or lack of it, is not the topic here.

Taurus quality, or lack of it, is not the topic here.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm not the one that made an issue of it. I simply stated that the TCP is a good choice, as well. Someone else brought the "quality" issue into it.

The Taurus is equivalent to the LCP in many ways, and better in some ways... such as slide lock open after the last shot is fired.

The TCP is not a blowback, but is a locked breech.... I think the LCP may be, as well. Several benefits from that.

The two handguns are remarkably similar in size, etc...

I've heard as many complaints about FTF, FTE, yada yada with the Ruger as with the Taurus. Both guns perform MUCH better following a little tweaking.

I was simply offering the TCP as an option to the much touted LCP.

When I bought my TCP, I was looking for an LCP, but the TCP was on sale for about $40-50 less than the LCP. (I've since found LCP's for almost as cheap)

The LCP is a great little 380, but there are other options as well.

For me it's my Ruger LCP loaded with Remington Golden Sabers carried in either a Desantis pocket holster or on my belt in a Sneaky Pete. For my wife, who finds the .380 to have more bite than she's comfortable with, it's a Keltec P32 loaded with Speer Gold Dots carried in a Desantis pocket holster. Both are 100% reliable and will get the job done.

"What is a good pocket gun?"
It's the one that is 100% reliable and that is so comfortable and easy-to-carry that you don't hesitate to slip it in your pocket every time you get dressed.
IMHO, it is a revolver. It is the nearest to 100% reliable that anyone will bet their life on. Cleaning, oiling, lint removal is not a daily requirement.
Caliber? .22 cal is lethal. .50 cal is very lethal. It's a compromise. Here's where "comfortable and easy-to-carry" comes into play.
It may be an NAA mini.
It may be a Ruger LCR/J-frame S&W.
That's about the two limits of what is comfortable and easy-to-carry for me IN MY POCKET.
If I'm in very light shorts with no belt, it is an NAA mini.
If I'm in my Wranglers, it's a .357 Ruger LCR.
I don't bat an eye pocketing the NAA. I'm protected.

p.s Non-rusting finish is a must if you're to carry daily, all day long. NAA, Ruger LCR, S&W 642...

Terminator has the correct answer.

""What is a good pocket gun?"
It's the one that is 100% reliable and that is so comfortable and easy-to-carry that you don't hesitate to slip it in your pocket every time you get dressed.
IMHO, it is a revolver. It is the nearest to 100% reliable that anyone will bet their life on.
Cleaning, oiling, lint removal is not a daily requirement.
Caliber? .22 cal is lethal. .50 cal is very lethal. It's a compromise. Here's where "comfortable and easy-to-carry" comes into play."

Essentially, carry the largest caliber gun that meets those above requirements(for you).

IMHO, it is a revolver. It is the nearest to 100% reliable that anyone will bet their life on.

I carried a 642 for nine years but have since switched to a P938. I never had an issue with the 642 other than it isn't pleasant to shoot. On the other hand, the P938 is a joy to shoot leaving me wanting to shoot it at the range......the 642? Not so much.

The answer to this question depends on what pocket you are talking about. I packed a 4" barrel Chiappa Rhino .357 magnum in the pocket of my cargo shorts this weekend.

If the Glock 43 is too small the LCP will be too. The Kahr CM9 is excellent and if you want something bigger i suggest a Glock 26. Glock 43 is my EDC...

"Best" is a slippery term.
Depends on the pocket.

Some pockets are worn on the clothing of men or women that have different needs than other men or women. Someone in Chicago may have a different need than someone working in a country garden in Kansas.

Back