• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

THR is down right now...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have already said they would willingly accept donations and Oleg said that in his post quoted just above. Go ahead and donate.

I'm thinking a little bigger picture with this one. As in "we know X amount
should be coming in so we can afford Y service".

I'm all for donations up front but if some want to make a long term comitment,
that could make a world of difference.

Well, I would like to buy advertising on THR...

Sell banner ads, and put the money in a "pay for stuff" account, and if there's a surplus, give it to various pro-gun charities, or a scholarship, or something of the sort...

The attacks are coming from a server in Chicago whose administrators don't answer the phone.

Does this mean we don't have anyone to sic the rabid crotch-eatin' police poodle K-9s on yet?

If I understand this situation correctly, and please correct me if wrong, the troubles stem from a lack of funds to purchase software that would prevent hacking which negates use of the THR sight?

If I understand this situation correctly, and please correct me if wrong, the troubles stem from a lack of funds to purchase software that would prevent hacking which negates use of the THR sight?

Well, not really.

The problem is stemming from a moron or group of morons who are launching distributed denial of service attacks (DDOS) at the server(s) that host THR. In a nutshell, this is basically crashing the site.

It has been suggested that the Service Provider that hosts THR is inept at worst, and unresponsive at best.

So the funds are to help THR move to a better Service Provider that can potentially put more security measures in place to help repel these types of attacks.

There really is no "lack of funds." I think most people just want to help, and since most of us are not System Admin Gurus, then we just voluntarily give money to help fund the relocation of the site.

No, Derek has the hardware. The trouble stems from the fact that some little dimwit has had his feelings hurt and has decided to repeatidly attack THR using a type of internet attack (denial of service) that is very difficult to stop. And THR's current ISP has proven themselves remarkably incompetent at helping to stop the attacks, so Derek is trying to find another ISP who can do a better job at fending off DOS attacks.

The only real funding issue (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a good ISP that can provide real DOS protection is probably going to charge a much higher monthly fee than the inept one that currently provides service to THR.

The only real funding issue (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a good ISP that can provide real DOS protection is probably going to charge a much higher monthly fee than the inept one that currently provides service to THR.

Exactly.

qlajlu - I did read Oleg's post, apparently you didn't read mine closely enough. I was suggesting that people voluntarily donate a set amount each month; that way THR would know there's something coming in each month. I never suggested making THR a pay site.

Tydephan..thanks for clearing that for me. Self absorbed thin skined hacker coupled with a generally incompetent Server..and we suffer. If someone could provide a ball park figure that would solve this problem, we could start reasoned contributions and get on with it.

/me waves at all the THR refugees.

I'm another long time TFL poster, who moved over to THR when Rich took down this forum. I come back every now and then to browse around.

As for this DDOS attack, it would seem to me that the hosting company on the attacking end would have it in their own interest to monitor the bandwidth their customers use, and squelch anyone they see with a sudden massive upswing in network traffic. I know most national ISPs who offer residential internet access sure take a hard look at you if your uploading megabytes of data. Cable providers especially.

IMO, the best way to fight this kind of thing would be: 1)ISPs to take charge of their networks, cutting off the machines who are used for this kind of activity and 2) system owners need to secure their damn machines. Even taking basic steps is seemingly beyond some admins.

How much do you pay per month for cable (if unlike me, you have it), or smokes, or beer?

Not a penny. :) But I get your point. As much as I use APS, I ought to send in at least fifty bucks.

What's funny to me is that the pimply-nerd-hacker-with-no-girlfriend-and-hurt-feelings did all this to hurt THR and get his way. Instead-we're coming together and helping to make THR better (more secure)
My money will be sent in Sunday (I'll be on vacation til then and payday is Thursday)
Being fairly new to the shooting community and not having any family to learn from THR has been a Godsend for me. Where else would I learn the four rules, how to clean after corossive ammo, why not to bubba a gun, etc.

If it helps Oleg and the gang feel better I am one person that has really benefitted from THR's knowledge.

Wow! My lurker TFL login from years and years ago still works. I'm "IdahoFarmer" over at THR.

Its been days and days since I was able to login to THR. Sadness is overtaking me. Someone please help me. Hope fading... life... draining... hello.. o..o. .ooo......hellpp me.ee.ee

Farmer

Another THR refugee here, sent Derek some loot last week, the fact that a couple of folks spend their lives trying to promote a sport that we all enjoy, and to preserve our rights ougt to help open some wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back