The purpose of lever action rifles in today's market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on my experience, you've posed a good question. I made my foray into the lever action world with a Marlin 1894SS. It was an abysmal failure; totally unreliable, and a hopeless jammer, even after a return to Marlin for repairs. Sold it off, replaced it with a completely reliable Ruger Mini 14, and never looked back.

I own several lever action rifles and not a single bolt action and wouldn't have it any other way.

These rifles cover all of my hunting and plinking needs even up here in northern Idaho where we have varmints all the way up to huge elk, moose and grizzly bear.

I guess if folks don't appreciate having immense fire power in a compact rapid repeating rifle such as my Marlin .444, then they don't understand the beauty of a woods rifle that can take out any critter in North America. I guess owning revolvers and lever guns is out for folks that have SA and AR's. Just not my cup of tea.

I own 2 20 ga shotguns and that is the whole set of firearms I need including home defense. Nothing more, nothing less. I won't be adding any ARs or bolt actions any time soon, I simply don't need them.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. Lever action guns, like many older firearm designs, and still effective when it comes to their main purpose: putting lead on target in a timely and accurate manner.

No, they may not be capable of dumping 30 rounds in a couple of seconds, they may not fire the latest super magnum cartridge, and they may not be able to shoot a nickle off of a fence post at 600 yards, but firearms capable of those types of performances are not always necessary or wanted. Some folks are completely satisfied with the capabilities of an old fashioned 30-30 lever gun, and they like they way they handle and shoot.

For me, they are perfect do everything guns. Never missed game with one because it was the guns fault. Rugged and reliable. Easy to carry, easy shoot, light. I have five.

Why own a levergun? Because they are a ton of fun to shoot, that's why. Handloading 357mag for a levergun provides cheap fun, cheaper than buying 22 mag ammo. Plus, you can load them from light, mouse fart plinking loads to heavy, hot serious hunting loads for deer up to 100yds.

And, contrary to what jmr40 would have you believe, a carbine is light and easy to carry, even all day. My Rossi '92 in 357mag carbine (heaviest barrel of 357mag, 44mag, or 45 colt) weighs only 5lbs 14oz loaded with 12rds and my 357mag rifle weighs 7lbs 10oz loaded with 14rds. Compare that to an average scoped bolt gun and you'll see how handy they are.

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2831.jpg

Despite all the affection for lever guns in this thread, I believe they are good - but not the *best* at anything. However their pros outweigh the cons.

For that reason, when the inevitable question is asked weekly about "What is the one gun you'd grab as you go out the door?", it is frequently answered with a lever gun, an AK47 or an AR15. That's pretty good company.

There is one advantage offered by most lever-action rifles that most (those that have detachable box magazines being the exception, I suppose) bolt-action rifles don't have: they are capable of being "topped off" by replenishing the magazine with more cartridges while still being able to fire the rifle with a round in the chamber. This advantage may not come into play in most situations but could be a welcomed factor in the direst of circumstance: when facing wounded dangerous game or in a self-defense scenario where the ability to perform a "tactical reload" might make a difference in terms of surviving the event.

Last edited:
There are some places in life where pure preference is all the reasom we need and no justification is necessary.

IMO,it is easier to justify lever actions than it is to justify picking another person's firearm to pass judgement on.

We have also heard the question "Why do you need a hi-cap mag,a n EBR,a .338 Lapua,etc."

I can get a big smile over a 16 ga side by side,even with hammers.

I like single action wheel guns,too.

In case nobody noticed,outfits like Puma,Cimmarron,Chiappas,Pedersolli,the Browning/Miroku's,the new Winchester,Marlin,and Mossberg have risen to the occasion to tool up and meet the demand for lever actions.

'

Nostalgia. For me anyhow. Reminds me of simpler times. I bought my Trapper because I've always wanted a lever gun. After all the westerns I would sit and watch with my father, I grew up idolizing the men who used them. Do I use mine for hunting? Not yet. No time. But I do enjoy shooting it for fun.

IMO,it is easier to justify lever actions than it is to justify picking another person's firearm to pass judgement on.

To be fair, I don't think the op was "passing judgement"; he was only asking a legitimate, if, albeit, provocative to some, question. If I'm wrong about this assessment, I'm sure he will be along to clarify my misinterpretation.

To have fun with, in whatever way an individual has as his or her own version of fun.

Just like every other sporting firearm, 99.9999% of the ones sold are just toys for big boys. Don't make fun of others fun.

Willie

One year I borrowed my brother's model 94 which he had inherited from my grandfather. It is a 1963 model. I killed 4 deer out of the tree stand that year. It was emotionally satisfying to use my grandfather's rifle. It handles well and the 30-30 dropped each of those deer like it had been pole axed.

I believe they are good - but not the *best* at anything.
There's nothing better suited to putting a bullet in the chest cavity of a deer at 75 yards in a hurry and if nothing's better it's gotta be the best right?

It's hard to explain why they are so good as short range brush gun.
You just have to take one out and hunt with it to understand.
Same with a single action revolver.

There's nothing better suited to putting a bullet in the chest cavity of a deer at 75 yards in a hurry and if nothing's better it's gotta be the best right?

Well, an AR15 chambered for 6.8SPC with an Aimpoint is better, but it also costs more.

(To play Devil's advocate)

Well, an AR15 chambered for 6.8SPC with an Aimpoint is better, but it also costs more.
Well whenever your ready I'll take the EOtech off my AR and throw it on my Marlin and drag out my shot timer.
The devil be damned:rolleyes:;)

"Since they are the heaviest of all actions, how can they possibly be fast handling."

The same way that heavy shotguns are used by the good competition shooters - they smooth the move to the shoulder and the swing to the target. Light guns are easy to jerk around and over swing. Instead of "fast handling" it should be "fast on the target."

Heavy, just like with a shotgun, absorbs recoil and makes a follow-up shot faster. That's fast handling, right?

John

American classic, Great truck,horse,farm ,tractor rifle.Very handy one of the best open sight rifle ,cheap ammo,plenty of power and choice of several loads.With just a little shopping around you can find one for just about any price range or needs.

The only purpose I can see to use a lever action,Is anything a carbine comes is handy for.Thats alot of purpose in my book.:D

"I believe they are good - but not the *best* at anything. "

They are the best on a horse in a scabbard. There's something about a bolt gun that tends to snag stuff and poke you in the butt - the bolt handle.

True, the completely slimline look with no scopes, sights or magazines sticking out places it above other guns in regards to "quickdraw" from a scabbard, if that is a concern.

Well whenever your ready I'll take the EOtech off my AR and throw it on my Marlin and drag out my shot timer.

If you can cycle a lever gun faster than a semi-auto throws brass, color me impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back