The purpose of lever action rifles in today's market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly for the pure enjoyment of it.

Unless you're talking about the .22, the advantages are pretty much subjective. I have lever guns in .44 magnum, .308, .357 magnum, 30-30, .22 magnum, and .22 s,l,lr.

For most, a semi or bolt would serve as well, practically speaking.

The .22 though...

The lever-action .22 is an entirely different and decidedly superior thing. The semi won't reliably feed and won't auto cycle at all with anything but .22lr. I can shoot .22 lr, l, short, and even powderless ammo in any of my lever .22s w/o problem. I can also do that, of course in most bolt .22s, but not nearly as fast and not nearly as much fun. (Okay, it's not unique; the pump will do the same but is usually more difficult to find, not usually available in carbine lengths, and not quite as much fun).

W.

Despite all the bias and hatred, in the real world, a good levergun will do 99% of what 99% of hunters need a rifle to do. They carry better than a bolt. Are typically lighter than a bolt (sorry jmr40 but you're dead wrong on all counts). Their magazines are easily topped off. Their cartridges and accuracy cover enough range for most of our hunting needs. Let's face it, lots of folks are enamored of their big belted magnums but never shoot them past 150yds. They also offer quicker repeat shots than bolts and singles and are on par with pumps and autos. Despite what the haters say, the levergun gives up nothing to the pump or auto for controlled, aimed fire.

The bottom line is, in reality (not the idealistic world of paper ballistics, myths, legends and unfounded bias), there is very little a man needs a rifle for that can't be accomplished with a good levergun.

Went on a quasi guided hunt set up by an outfitter in Alaska a few years ago. Since we pretty much stayed by ourselves in a remote camp, thought it best to ask the outfitter what he would carry.

Told me that he only suggested semi's and bolts' to people he did not take a hankering too. That he would carry a large bore levergun.

When asked why, he stated "well, we all know how great shot's we are and of course we all have nerves of steel. But, when that big Brown comes out of that thicket 30 yards from ya, look'n to feed your head to it's young...you ain't such a great shot anymore and your nerves are not as stiff as wet noodle. So you probably would be greatful for a second shot. These islands are pretty humid, and this time of year the frost drops in the early morning, usually just before that big Brown comes out of the thickets. Most modern semi hunting rifles are gas port operated, you want to chance a gas port freeze? Have you ever tried to cycle a bolt while run'n as fast you can? Both of these give that Bear too much of a second chance. I'd stay with my levergun."

His personal rifle was a Winchester M71 chambered for that soft hitting cartridge...a 450 Alaskan.

Back in the day, the levergun was repeating rifle that an average rifleman could carry on horseback. He could also cycle that rifle while moving, not only due to the action, but the balance. Same holds true today, because of the balance and action, it is a functional tool that works in an active world due to it's lightweight, reload ability, ruggedness, and balance.

My current favorite hunting tool is now a Win '94 Timber Carbine chambered for .444...and I own every kind of action known to man. I can carry that thing from 5am till 5pm and never consider it a burden, it will still come to my shoulder in a blink of an eye in line for it's target.

in the real world, a good levergun will do 99% of what 99% of hunters need a rifle to do.

I guess that puts those of us out on the High Plains in the 1%. ......

Hooray! I'm a 1%-er! (And a threeper, too!)

Some people actually have trees where they live. LOL.

Oh, we have trees .... but after the corn gets picked, deer seem to associate trees with hunters, feeling much safer in the middle of an empty section where they can see you from a long ways off..... if you can't hit a pie plate at 300, there will be a lot of shots you'll have to pass on ...... as someone mentioned earlier, a lever-gun, particularly in carbine length, is great for jump shooting ...... but it not the best tool for long shots. I'm sure with enough practice (and maybe a tang sight), a guy could manage to make it work as well as I have managed to make my scoped .270 WIN bolt gun work for jump shooting deer in the crick...... practice is everything.

Hatred? I missed that.
Did you read post #22? I have never read a post by jmr40 in a thread about leverguns that did not come off as frothing at the mouth pure disdain.

Not to mention that it is painfully obvious that the OP came into this discussion carrying all the same ole regurgitated nonsense and his mind firmly made up.

Here I am again: Well, there's some reason that the Henry Repeating Arms Company in 2011 had to increase production 40% to keep up with demand and will probably end up increasing it another 40% this year and dealers have been experiencing shortages of inventory. I voted with my wallet yesterday and bought a second Henry. A lot of folks who have never shot a Henry parrot prejudiced opinions they've heard online concerning "pot metal," etc. and Henrys are, for the most part, ignored in the gun media. A small minority of us really like them and find that it's hard to stop with one and comment on how they have an insatiable appetite for ammunition. Forget all your mental theorizing and just play with your guns--you'll find what you really like if you haven't already.

Henrys are, for the most part, ignored in the gun media.

Forget all your mental theorizing and just play with your guns--you'll find what you really like if you haven't already.

I am reminded of something my brother once told me: "Believe little of what you hear, half of what you see, and all of what you DO."

I stopped taking the various gun rags seriously when one them gave "Handgun of the Year" to the Taurus Judge.

Rather, I base my opinions my experiences...... I would hazard a guess that the OP has little or no experience with a levergun. He should try one....

I was able to shoot a couple as a young kid. Call is nostalgia or search for lost youth.

They are fun. That is reason enough. John Wayne used them and if they are good enough for the "Duke", they are good enough for me.

Geetarman:D

Some people just hate for whatever reason. I have a winchester 30-30, marlin 30-30, and a Henry .22 and they are all very good firearms. Im probably gonna end up with a Henry in 357 mag. before the year is up. They are all accurate and reliable weapons. Alot of accuracy issues can be traced back to the shooter in my opinion.

i own 4 marlin 39,s and one win 94/22 that i bought for under 400.00 each,new or in new condition.that being said, i have compared the henry,s to them and while they shoot ok,i wonder just how long the henry will last over years of shooting.. i guess only time will tell. i did have a brass framed repo winchester 66 made in italy in .22 that was alright. eastbank.

My daughter took down this large mule deer with one shot. Not from a 7mm MAG but from our time proven 30-30. Its a myth that only bolt action rifles are suitable for hunting in the western states.

Jack

Kforkybuck-1.jpg

Bought this M1886 Browning (Miroku) last month---

402961733.jpg

I live in Eastern Nebraska, about half a mile from the Fontenelle Forest and I have game trails through my front yard.
Bought this rifle so I could lean out my kitchen window and club the deer as they walk through.
It's fun to shoot, too.
-----krinko

Anyone who thinks a lever rifle is not a good long range hunting arm should try out a BLR in 30-06 or a Sav.99 in .308 Win or .300 Sav. Might be kinda eye opening.

I bought a Marlin 336 in .30-30 from the mid 50's a few months ago. Why?

It's a beautiful old gun that just feels so right. Even smells good. First shot at 100 yards was about a half inch from the bulls eye with those old iron sights. It's just so much fun to shoot, and also to show others how to shoot. I've taken a few guys who were completely new to guns out....and the lever action was their favorite (over my AR.)

Everybody likes different things. My car is a convertible and a manual because I like the wind on my bald head and snick, snicking through the gears :) Doesn't mean the guys cooped up in their Camrys are wrong! Different strokes for different folks. I'm one of the weirdos who likes Glocks, HKs, old S&W revolvers, CZs, ARs, AKs, and old lever actions. I'm not sure there IS a bad gun as they all can bring a smile to my face and make my day a little brighter.

Different strokes for different folks.
This is the most important point. People like what they like. You might even find that what you hate now is what you love ten years from now. Bottom line is that there is very little right and wrong and a whole lot that depends solely on your perspective. The OP may want to just look at the first page of the Rifle forum and see how many threads there are about leverguns. One 'might' assume that there is more to this than meets the eye???

SIXTEEN threads active within 8 days!!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back