The purpose of lever action rifles in today's market

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't own a lever gun but it will be my next purchase (a Winchester 94 to be exact). I like the lever gun because of its history, it's versatility and its portability. It's a compact rifle and can handle pretty much anything that stands in its way...almost anything. plus, they just look so damned cool :D

Solid lock up, light weight, fast handling, fast follow up shots and utter reliablity.

False, false, false, false and false again.

Levers have one of the weakest lock ups of any action, and the worst extraction system.

Levers are the heaviest of all repeating actions, you should do some research and buy some scales. My Marlin 30-30 is tied for the heaviest rifle in my safe's with my Winchester 70 in 300 WSM. Every bolt rifle in my safe's chambered in standard calibers is lighter, some by as much as 2 1/4 lbs. In fact most are lighter with a scope on them than my 30-30's are with no scope.

Since they are the heaviest of all actions, how can they possibly be fast handling.

Levers are tied for last place among repeaters for quick, aimed repeat shots. With rifle calibers there is no difference in the speed of repeat shots when compared to a bolt rifle and they are much slower than a pump or semi-auto. When chambered in pistol calibers a lever will be slightly faster than a bolt, but only slightly.

Levers are the most complex and least reliable of all repeaters.

From a performance perspective there is absolutely nothing a lever does better than other action type. Most of the myths involving lever actions stem from Hollywood special effects and some guys cannot separate myth from reality.

The only reason they are still in use is because some guys never grew up and want to walk around pretending they are John Wayne.

The purpose of lever action rifles in today's market is to sell them to people who want to buy a lever action rifle. Several people here have already admitted to owning one, so apparently that works.

The levergun is as reliable as any other action type and more reliable than some. I've got a '59 Model 94 which I dare say has probably never jammed, provided it was fed good ammo. The lever action possesses handling qualities which can only be appreciated by carrying it afield; toting it to the range in a case will never bring enlightenment. Finally, they possess a certain panache that no other rifle can claim. Whether you appreciate this or not is simply a matter of perspective. I appreciate the fact that some never will.

Like Jerry Reed sang about folks quitting smoking... "You quit smoking that`ll leave more for ME!!"

;)

Lever guns, besides the fun factor, make great brush hunting guns. As a quick handling brush gun, there likely isn't a better gun action. Handle one and you'll understand why people like them and hunt with them.

jmr40 said:
Levers have one of the weakest lock ups of any action, and the worst extraction system.
Pretty broad statement. The Browning BLR handles the .300 WSM, the same as your Winchester 70, without problem and I haven't heard anyone disparaging the extraction system.

jmr40 said:
Levers are the heaviest of all repeating actions, you should do some research and buy some scales. My Marlin 30-30 is tied for the heaviest rifle in my safe's with my Winchester 70 in 300 WSM.
I don't know whichModel 70 you have but the Model 70 Sporter in .300WSM weighs 7 lbs. 4oz. while the BLRs in .300WSM all weigh in at 6 lbs. 12 oz. (weights taken from manufacturer's sites).

The only reason they are still in use is because some guys never grew up and want to walk around pretending they are John Wayne.
Might not hurt if today’s youth had more of the John Wayne values. Sure are a lot worse role models out there. . .;)

Except for a semiauto, a lever action with open sights is probably the easiest of all to cycle the action without taking the gun down from your shoulder, making it easy to keep your eyes on the target.

Read about Ackley testing the Winchester 94 and Marlin 336. The barrels are the first thing to go. Never read or heard of an action failing. The action will not go into your head like some believe.
He also fired it with the locking bolt taken out, and it had no issues, the bolt stayed in place.

Levers are the heaviest of all repeating actions. Since they are the heaviest of all actions, how can they possibly be fast handling.

Not true. My old Winchester 94 weighs about 6.25 lbs. Most bolt actions weigh 1 lb heavier. The 94 to me handles much faster than any of my bolt action rifles. It points and shoulders without thinking about it.
The iron sights line up perfectly. The slim forend and receiver is perfect for one-hand carry. It is short and light, perfect for walking the thick bush here in Northwest Canada.

Levers are bit more complex than bolt actions but are very simple action disassemble to me. My old Winchester 1894 .30 WCF is 100 years old and still fires and functions like the day it was made.
It's all original. Never had any problem with it, never jammed, whether it's winter -30 or summer +25 degrees.

From a performance perspective there is absolutely nothing a lever does better than other action type.

A lever action is quick handling, points and shoulders naturally, the iron sights line up perfectly, simple to load (no magazines to loose), good accuracy at 100 yards. What more do you need in a woods rifle?

A lever gun is about ideal for hunting in the forests, still hunting, and spot and stalk.

The Winchester 1894 lever action was used here in Canada by the PCMR (Pacific Coast Militia Rangers) when Enfield's were in short supply. Even the doughboys were using them.
There is much history to the lever actions.

Doughboyw1894.jpg

Last edited:
I understand the purpose of the bolt-action, semi-auto, and full-auto rifles but don't see the purpose of the lever-action except for novelty.

I'm not even sure I'm following the logic of the question? What is the purpose of any firearm? It's for whatever purpose the owner chooses.

Hunting? People have and do hunt with bolt actions, semi-autos, pumps, break actions, lever actions, rolling blocks, falling blocks, and black powder muskets. They all work, and one person's choice is just that, their choice. There were plenty of bolt action and other alternatives back in the peak days of lever guns popularity, just as there are now.

Personal or home defense? Same thing applies. People have been defending them and theirs with every type of firearm ever created. It hardly needs be an EBR, battle rifle or modern conception firearm to be an effective home defense weapon. Again, what one person chooses versus another is just that - a matter or personal choice or preference.

Recreation? Lets be honest, this is a huge reason why most people who own more than one or two firearms own as many as they do. Speaking for myself, I bought my 1892's mainly because they are just great fun to shoot. In a pinch, they'd also make a decent HD closet gun, they are also great general purpose woods guns for me (an 1892 has to be one of the most comfortable long guns to carry around that I know of - it just falls to the hand perfectly).

Seems to me you could ask this same kind of question about any type of firearm that does not appeal to you or which you have no desire to own. What is the purpose of black powder rifles? Or single shot hand guns? Why does anyone buy a Ruger No. 1 anymore, or a coach gun?

I say thank goodness there is so much variety available, and that so many of the classic designs that have stood the test of time are still being made. I'll be hanging on to my lever guns, 1911's and revolvers until the day I die, and I'll go with a big smile on my face too.

Simple, most shooters should own a lever action because they are damn cool. Just like the Mosin, I don't own one because it is such a great gun, I own one because they are fun to shoot.

Some things in shooting defy all of the engineering logic, they are visceral and emotional.

There's just something magic about the way the reciever of a marlin or winchester action fits in your hand it balances so perfect and carries beautifully, then when the time comes a flick of the wrist it jumps to the shoulder and the sights just appear all lined up between your eye and the target.

^What he said^

Plus, I bought my 1895G because I wanted a 45/70 and wanted a repeater. The only bolt guns in 45/70 are custom affairs so The Lever Action was it. Kinda blind, big bolt gun man before. Then I took it hunting and it all became clear, this is it!

Horsepower in a small light package and cycles fast. I hunt in steep terrain and timber for Elk and Mule Deer and the lever gun has proven to be a good match for the Rocky Mountains. I put peep sights, a match grade trigger and big loop lever in it from WWG's and it's accounted well for itself with 2 Deer so far.
So nice and light to carry, and short.

The cool factor is through the roof with levers and without being tactical! It's a little like a time machine for me and every time I shoulder it, I slip back into the 1800s. Yer darn right it makes me feel like John Wayne! Whats wrong with that? You raised on Barney? LOL :D

I may be wrong, but the OP seems to dismiss the lever action as being nothing more than a novelty. He's welcome to his opinion, but as others have said, it's a grab and go gun you can depend on. It's a great carbine/rifle for left and right handed shooters, and you can keep aimed at the target when cycling ammo. I almost never hear of a lever-action jamming as I do auto-loaders.

The only lever-actions I've owned were in .30-30 and .45-70. I've shot them in .22, .357 and .32-20 as well. I really like them, but I like auto-loaders and bolt guns too. Since I shoot rifle lefty I prefer semi-auto or lever.

Why do I need a reason to buy something I find attractive? Sure, lever actions are archaic, outmoded, obsolescent, etc, but then so is the whole idea of hunting, shooting as a pastime, and self-reliance. They are just another thing that goes bang, and I like 'em!

Now, to really get people lit up, why don't we have a thread about what is the use of semiautos and single-shots?;)

Have you checked the weight on some of those single shots?
On the side, the tests P.O. Ackley did on lever guns were directed toward another purpose, if I recall correctly. Something about chamber finish.

I don't own one, but I do like them. Like a revolver, there is an appeal there.

Not a problem if it does not grab you, but it does a lot of people.

Also a lot of the critiques are true, but so what. Most people don't get a second chance with a semi auto, let alone a pump or bolt action.

The levers are well enough made that you probably can't tell the difference. i.e. a bolt is maybe .02% more reliable and then its so what...

Lever guns are shorter, lighter and faster handling than bolt-actions and are just as accurate. Autos can be as light but they aren't as accurate or as reliable. Pump guns can be as accurate and as reliable but there is just something sooooo classy and nostalgic about a leaver gun.

Have to disagree about the Semi Autos. They are the potentially most accurate gun out there (free floating on the ARs and that's not to be dismissed)

And a Semi Auto is reliable. More research and testing into those (ARs anyway) than anything else.

If I remember correctly..the bolt gun got 2.....

I have been shootin levers since my teens...They are formidable weapons in the right hands...

Oh..and I wanna go on record of saying..JW was cool....

Attachments

• hog9.jpg
    hog9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 48
  • rsz_1img_0412.jpg
    rsz_1img_0412.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back