The Guns that Criminals Carry - Know yourself/Know your enemy

Always

I live in central Florida where it seem to always be hot. I carry a G26 when printing is an issue, but more often it's going to either my sig 226, Beretta 92FS or Springfield XDM 45. I prefer a larger capacity or higher caliber than the G26 offers and like Constantine I always carry, never leave home without it.

One story that I'll never forget and I'm sure many of you will also remember.
Years ago in Texas a crazy guy goes in a restaurant and kill a lot of innocent people include the elderly parents of a women who happened to have a CCL.
I never will forgot what this woman said or what it must have felt like. She said that as the shooter was going around the restaurant shooting people she felt like kicking herself for leaving her gun in the car. She suffered a terrible loss that day and although the chances that something like happening to me are remote. That thought has never left me.

Last edited:
Dude, relax. :)

Unless someone new has taken to using Tamara's name, she's been around quite a while. She's not being bitter and her thinking isn't flawed, either.

I live in central Florida where it seem to always be hot. I carry a G26 when printing is an issue, but more often it's going to either my sig 226, Beretta 92FS or Springfield XDM 45. I prefer a larger capacity or higher caliber than the G26 offers and like Constantine I always carry, never leave home without it.
Nice. I never got into the 92FS because of the P226.

Amen to the heat. Also why I carry a 19 most days. It takes the salt spray, sweat, and rain much better. All of which can happen in one day.

Dude, relax. :)

Unless someone new has taken to using Tamara's name, she's been around quite a while. She's not being bitter and her thinking isn't flawed, either.

Lol, that's good for her. To me it is flawed. To you it's not. Just differing opinions.

I also didn't see a need for her excess attempts either.

Constantine said:
Did your crystal ball tell you their level of training? Or are you referring to a certain someone?

Dude, a little sensitive? Well, they say that it's the hit dog that yelps, so okay...

Constantine said:
Many officers do the same thing.

So? You say that like it's some sort of endorsement. Most officers don't even much like to shoot and have to be persuaded to carry guns off duty. The ones you find on firearms fora or at gun school on their own dime are the exceptions that prove the rule. In some big city departments they risk getting called "Tackleberry" or maybe not even hired for liking guns as a hobby.

Constantine said:
Are they making "fashion statements"?

Yes, and not the ones they think they are, either.

Constantine said:
Sorry, your way of thinking is severely flawed. Just because your skill set is handicapped and limited to just 1 firearm...

Here, I'll slap my training resume down on the counter:

attachment.php

Your turn.

Attachments

• gun school.jpg
    gun school.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 371
All that flexing and you STILL have that mindset? The one I still find to be flawed.

Mas is awesome.
Todd Jarret too.

Don't know the rest. Anyways, good. I applaud you.

Still don't like your way of thinking regardless.

I agree with the same gun/same place routine.

I can "manage" a number of different firearms competently, but when my "mission" is to have the best chance of defending myself in the event of an unexpected and tumultuous violent criminal action, I want to rely on the same equipment each and every time.

That means the same primary weapon in the same holster, which means the same presentation, grip, balance, sight picture, trigger, and malfunction clearing steps.

It also means that for back-up, the same back-up weapon in the same place.

I agree with the same gun/same place routine.

I can "manage" a number of different firearms competently, but when my "mission" is to have the best chance of defending myself in the event of an unexpected and tumultuous violent criminal action, I want to rely on the same equipment each and every time.

That means the same primary weapon in the same holster, which means the same presentation, grip, balance, sight picture, trigger, and malfunction clearing steps.

Agreed. Didn't say that that wasn't the way to do it. That's the best way to do it. :)

Cool stuff. I just got off a boat. And I had to carry my Glock instead of my SIG. Isn't that crazy?

If I go hunting, back when I used to hunt. I'd take my Glock 41 instead of my Glock 19. Insane.

But really. It's reassuring to know most criminals aren't gun enthusiasts.

Constantine said:
If I go hunting, back when I used to hunt. I'd take my Glock 41...

"Back when you used to hunt"? The G41's been on the market barely more than a year. So... 'wayyy back in the olden times, last year, you used to carry your G41 hunting. And when you were on a boat, you "had to" carry your G-lock instead of your P-226, which, in its Mk.25 guise, has gone OTB for decades?

You need to slow your roll, friend.

Before it was a P220 lol. Last time I went it was. 41.. don't look so into it. You're going to get a headache.

I love my P226. I think the MK25 has the 1913 rail. Totally different. This is a standard P226.

I stopped hunting. Don't do it anymore. Nothing wrong with that either.

Constantine said:
Before it was a P220 lol. Last time I went it was. 41.. don't look so into it. You're going to get a headache.

Not likely.

Constantine said:
I love my P226.

I love my family, my friends, and my cat. My gun's just a tool I carry in case the unfortunate necessity for fool-shooting should arise.

Constantine said:
I think the MK25 has the 1913 rail. Totally different. This is a standard P226.

Current NSW P-226s have rails. Older NSW P-226s did not. Either way, NSW has been carrying 226s OTB for several decades now. Don't see what a Pic rail has to do with corrosion resistance, or why the lack of one would mean you "had to" carry a Glock instead of a Sig Sauer on the boat (or why you had to switch back from the Glock to the Sig when you went ashore again.)

So no, no headaches here, just wry amusement at the way you got all up in people's grilles for not living up to your standards of tacticality for four pages.

Be safe, Constantine. :)

Given that someone has stated that a few carry only a small gun because they expect a self-defense event to be "up close," what is the defined distance at which a self-defense shooting could occur? That is, if there is a defined distance.

At the indoor range I haunt, 25 yards is the greatest distance, assuming you're just shooting at your own target. Twenty-five yards is the distance from our easily broken basement door to the path into the woods. The distance from where I sit to the closest door is about five yards. At which distance am I most likely to engage a bad guy? Can one be in danger from 25 yards away to the extent that you would start shooting? (I also ask that in connection with wild animals but that's a different topic).

Some of the scenarios are sometimes a little far-fetched in regards to responses. Let's say you're strolling through a crowded mall and someone twenty-five yards away decides to attack you, for reasons unknown. He isn't going to make a frontal rush, probably having to push people out of the way to do so. He'll sneak up behind you. Even if he is within five yards right in front, he'll have the drop on you. So in public (for those who are not law enforcement officers), whatever is going to happen is going to happen not far beyond arms length.

Given that assumption, which at least applies to some situations, how difficult is it going to be making hits, assuming you can even get off a shot?

Personally, I don't find smaller guns to be generally more difficult to shoot. Some certainly are, depending on which guns you think of. Colt's old .380 Government Model was as easy to shoot as a .22, as an example. But I suspect there is an optimum size and caliber for each situation and each individual. I'm glad we have choices.

I understand the value of consistency - having everything in the place expected and working as expected keeps you from having to stop and think about anything under the stress of an emergency.

But the one-gun-one-holster argument has its limits; in my life, that limit regards dress. I can carry a pistol IWB strong side in most situations, but "most" is not a synonym for "all." When I need to wear a tuxedo, as happens a few times a year, am I better off changing pistols and/or holsters or going unarmed? Or does the fact that I wear a tux occasionally mean that I should always pocket carry a pistol of less capacity and caliber than I currently do on the other 360 or so days?

Just to be clear, I am satisfied with my own answers to these questions; I present them rhetorically to argue against absolutism in favor at least a little flexibility.

I understand the value of consistency - having everything in the place expected and working as expected keeps you from having to stop and think about anything under the stress of an emergency.

But the one-gun-one-holster argument has its limits; in my life, that limit regards dress. I can carry a pistol IWB strong side in most situations, but "most" is not a synonym for "all." When I need to wear a tuxedo, as happens a few times a year, am I better off changing pistols and/or holsters or going unarmed? Or does the fact that I wear a tux occasionally mean that I should always pocket carry a pistol of less capacity and caliber than I currently do on the other 360 or so days?

Just to be clear, I am satisfied with my own answers to these questions; I present them rhetorically to argue against absolutism in favor at least a little flexibility.

Which is another point people are missing when they angrily skim through the red to be a white knight.

As long as you're carrying your gun, period. Even if it's not my opinion of an adequate concealed duty gun. It's better than nothing! So good.

I also agree that the one holster one gun has its limits. When I go running it's different. To the mall it's different. It can switch up sometimes. There's nothing wrong with that either. I have a lot of rounds through the guns I carry religiously. My muscle memory is tuned to Glock and SIG Sauer.

I tried a 1911 once in a class and didn't like how I was struggling so hard I ran home and got my SIG instead. The safeties got to me a few times. So I know MY weapons and they're aqequate enough to MY standards.

I love my guns and my friends are my family. .... I love SIG Sauer so much more

Loving one's guns?

Must be a matter of definition.

If I thought I loved a gun, I don't think I would say so.

I await more pointless remarks.
There sure have ben a few. I can do without more.

Lol, clearly you got over emotional and skimmed like crazy.
I didn't take it that way.

I agree with this line of thinking. Same stuff, in the same place, along with constant practice. Things need to be practiced to the point of "thoughtless", if youre serious about things. When you "think" GUN, it should just appear in your hands, and with no thought as to how it got there.

The last thing you really need, it to look like youre patting yourself down, looking for where you put the gun today, and then trying to figure out what it is, when you finally find it.

Im not saying to limit yourself in your experiences here though. Being familiar with as many types/platforms is a good thing, and if possible, should also be practiced. You never know when you might have to pick something up and use it. A lot of this just comes from the normal progression of finding what it is you want too. Every new type of gun is a learning experience, be it a positive one or not so much. Its easy enough, to have one of each "type", to occasionally practice with to stay familiar with them.

Some of the scenarios are sometimes a little far-fetched in regards to responses. Let's say you're strolling through a crowded mall and someone twenty-five yards away decides to attack you, for reasons unknown. He isn't going to make a frontal rush, probably having to push people out of the way to do so. He'll sneak up behind you. Even if he is within five yards right in front, he'll have the drop on you. So in public (for those who are not law enforcement officers), whatever is going to happen is going to happen not far beyond arms length.
I think most scenarios people have, are what they feel comfortable with winning, and justify what their weapon choices are, at least in their minds eye. Reality is, you get to deal with whatever it is youre dealt, and if youre not well rounded in your training/practice, then youre going to be stuck with trying to get that square peg into a moving round hole. If youve convinced yourself all you need is a third line back up gun for daily carry, then it only gets worse.

The mall thing above, was actually in the news in the not so distant past, and with the current world situation, could easily be here at any given moment. Its really not all that far fetched. Of course, most Americans probably cant wrap their heads around it actually happening here. Then again, theres always the movies or schools. ;)

As for the distances involved, I have to wonder sometimes, if people even know what they are looking at in their real world environments. Practice always seems to be done at certain "fixed" ranges, and in the same way, and at the same, often unrealistic targets. There is no realistic perspective.

Next time youre out and about, pace some things off in the places you visit, and other than contact distances, I think youll be amazed at how far a shot youre really looking at in most cases. Aisles in our local market are close to 50 yards, from one end to another, and across the front of the local Walmart, its over 80 yards.

If all you practice is at 7 yards, and you think you have it covered, you may want to think it over some more. Being able to make decent hits at 50, or even 100 yards with a handgun, really isnt all that hard, but does require some practice. If you dont practice those type shots, what do you think Murphy will throw your way when your turn happens to come?

You can alleviate things here, if you carry a back up that is the same platform as your full size gun.

A 26 in a Smart Carry, can be in the same place as a 17 that is normally carried (just a little deeper), and you really havent changed much. Truth be told, depending on the pants youre wearing, and your physical/body shape, it could easily be the same 17 in that Smart Carry.

Yeah ^ Glock really has a sweet setup when it comes to that.

Glock 17 & 26, 22 & 27, 21 & 30/30S.. Etc. Really awesome. I think that's one of the most difficult setups to beat.

Back