Smith and Wesson serial number search

.38 revolver

I have a .38 squeezer of my great-grandpa's. Could someone please help me find out the manufacture date? The serial number is only 5 digits 15xxx. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Serial number question

I just inherited a Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 Magnum from my grandfather, who was a deputy in Wilmington, N.C., for years. I'm looking for information based on the serial number: 4K6xxx

Any help would be appreciated.

dmw: a .38 Safety Hammerless with that S/N should be a 2nd Model, and would date from 1887-1890.

jaybird64: 1974, and it should be a "no dash"

"no dash" as in the original version of the particular model number. S&W signified (somewhat unevenly) certain design changes in their revolvers by appending dashes (i.e., 66-1, 66-2) to their model numbers. Based on the serial number, which indicates year of production, in the yoke cutout of your Model 66, where the model number is stamped on the frame, it should say simply "Mod 66" with no dash number.

Ok, back to the classics. I was about to fill out the PDF form from S&W on this. A friend brought in a pistol for me to clean and tune up (has a slight hang in the cocking action once every 6-10 shots). I was wondering what you guys here could tell me about it.

It's a S&W M&P Victory Model 10 SN V4348xx. The barrel is marked with "Smith and Wesson" on the left side and "38 S&W CTG 38SPL" on the right. On the top of the frame it is stamped with "US Property CHD". There are several stampings on the right side of the frame ahead of and between the trigger guard and the cylinder.

I was hoping to find out the year of MFG better than 1940-1945 and what the "CHD" thing was.

We can narrow it down a little, but not with any degree of precision. Serial number V1 was in 1942. In September 1944 the hammer block safety was introduced and the V prefix serial range terminated at V769000, replaced by the SV serial prefix.
Assuming production remained at a fairly constant rate, we can assume your friends gun was probably made in 1943, but this is only a guess.

I can't help you with the CHD markings. A copy of the book discussed here: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/08/americas-right-arm.html may help you with further info.

Hi folks ...
Inherited a S&W 38 revolver from my father a couple years ago and would like to find out about when it was manufactured.
Left side of barrel: SMITH & WESSON
Right side of barrel: 38 S&W SPL.
Right side of body: MADE IN USA
MARCAS REGISTRADAS
SMITH & WESSON
SPRINGFIELD, MASS.
Inside the yoke: MOD 36 (on the frame)
45XXX
G2
Bottom of grip: 441JXX

Also, this firearm was stolen from my parents home sometime in 1976, and recovered sometime in 1978, so hand scratched on the right side of the frame is KM 1-14-77, which perhaps is the initials of the arresting LEO and date of recovery??

I thank you in advance for any info.

eluu - The Model 36 is the successor (after 1957) to the .38 Chiefs Special. The number on the bottom of the grip is the serial number - the other numbers inside the yoke cutout are called assembly numbers and were used to keep track of the parts of a particular gun when it was necessary to separate them during manufacture for operations such as blueing. That serial number places the date of manufacture in the 1971-72 timeframe. Regular production of the Model 36 was discontinued in 1999.

Thank you FlyFish for the info.

I'm curious though, anyone know what's with the "MARCAS REGISTRADAS" on the side??

I'm curious though, anyone know what's with the "MARCAS REGISTRADAS" on the side??

It's Spanish for "Registered [Trade]marks" and I understand it was introduced in the 1930s in response to counterfeit Smiths that were flooding the market in Mexico and Central America.

S&W serial numbers

Hi. I just acquired my new favorite revolver. I'm curious to its age and collectability. And whether or not it is factory length barrel. It is a Model 25-5
blue finish 45LC adj sites. From the front of the cylinder to the tip of the barrel measures 2.6 inches. Serial #N844638 Round butt with Pach grips. Thanks for any help you can provide.

gto4life - 25-5s were made from 1978 to 1988. With an S/N starting with "N8" yours is from the 1980 to 83 period. Pinned barrels were dropped in 1982, so if it has one it's more likely from the earlier part of that range; if not, more likely the later part. To the best of my knowledge, the shortest factory barrel was 4".

Earlier Model 25-5s, and yours may fall into that category, have a reputation for overly large cylinder throats, which allegedly can result in poor accuracy. I have one from 1980 with a 4" barrel that definitely has the large throats but the accuracy is just fine. More information on that here.

Flyfish thanks for the response. Mine has the pinned barrel. Thru some earlier research I heard that Lew Horton and Jovino were doing some barrel shortening for some customers. I wonder if this one passed thru there shop for some work? Any estimate on value. It is in very good used condition in the original box. Thanks again

There are others here who are better at giving a value, but I'd say something in the $600 range would be likely here in Massachusetts where it can be difficult to get certain models that aren't in current production.

By the way, I just noticed you said it has a round butt - I believe all the Model 25s were standard with the square butt except for a couple of special production runs, so it might also have had the butt shape changed, perhaps at the same time the barrel was worked on. I have a 586 that was so modified and it's virtually impossible to tell it's not a factory job. Is the serial number centered on the butt? - that was the giveaway on my 586.

Assuming all that work was done well, it could be worth a premium to someone, though real collectors usually aren't interested.

Looking thru the opening in the Pach grip the serial number does appear to be to the far left side. More space after the number??? Maybe it had more work done on it than we thought. I purchased this piece from the widow of a family friend. Obviously, she didnt know what had been done to the gun. However, it was like new and still in its original box. It still had the string price tag in the box too. The tag said $479.00 I paid her $330.00. I'm feeling pretty good about it right now. Time to visit the range... Thanks flyfish.

Model 1905 Hand Ejector 32-20

I have what I believe to be a Smith & Wesson model 1905 4th change 32-20 cal. 4" bbl. revolver.
The serial number is 1428XX and is marked on the bottom of the grip frame, under the barrel, at the rear surface of the cylinder, on the inner surface of the extractor, and on the inside of the right wood grip. The grips do not have a logo, just the diamond that the grip screw goes through the center of.
It appears to be in excellent shape with almost no wear, a very slight ring around the cylinder, and might even be unfired.
Can anyone tell me the approximate age or even year of manufacture.

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson Model 2 "Army" Revolver

I am a summer intern at a small history museum in coastal North Carolina. I am currently researching a S&W Model 2 revolver in the museum’s collection. Donated in 1967, it came with the following description:

"Used in the Civil War by John Wesley James (b. ? d. 1918), Captain 117th Infantry. Later used while he was in the West gold prospecting and brought back when returned."

There are several problems with this description. Neither the Confederate or Union Army had a 117th Infantry Regiment. After searching census, roster, and pension records, I believe that the revolver might belong to a John W. James listed as a private in Company G, 16th Virginia Infantry Regiment.

To further confirm the possibility that John W. James used this gun in the Civil War, I would like to find more information on when, exactly, S&W made this particular revolver. The production run on Model 2s lasted from 1860-1869, but I hope to narrow the range down further. The serial number is “3297.” I have included pictures below. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back