Smith and Wesson serial number search

radagast: thanks a ton. the information was definitely helpful. also, as you seemed to notice, we did want to know if it was a gun people would be willing to purchase. currently in the process of moving and household is tight on cash. every little bit helps! thanks again

Hey guys, I have a couple I'd like to know more about.

1. This one's easy, got a pic handy. .38SPL, 2 screws in frame, diamond wood grips, high polish blue, flat-latch. s/n: 299xxx:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr296/JackalAR/BBQ/IMG_1032.jpg

2. 22 LONG RIFLE CTG, Made in U.S.A. Marcas Registradas Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass. 6-shot, blued, diamond wood grips, screw in lower front grip, 3 screws in frame. s/n: 215xxx

3. Plated 5-shot w/ SMALL black plastic grips. I think .38. Maltese cross looking markings on top of bbl. Screw in lower front side of grip. Barrel breaks downward rather than cylinder breaking to side. s/n: 348xxx Stamping is sorta unusual.

4. Last isn't a Smith at all, but similar to #3 only much older looking. I think .38 as well. Forehand Arm & Co. Worchester MASS USA. Grips say F&W and have a shield w/ stripes and stars on it. Screw hold in grips have a big star around them. s/n: 199xxx

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Radagast I just bought a S&W 19-3 recently, could you please give be the DOB, it would be greatly appreciated-thanks-serial #7k463xx

Radagast I just bought a S&W 19-3 recently, could you please give be the DOB, it would be greatly appreciated-thanks-serial #7k463xx

I believe Radagast is likely sound asleep at the moment on the other side of the world (Oz), so if you don't mind a poor substitute I'll jump in and let you know that your 19-3 dates from 1975.

Picked up a 686 no dash from an LEO, locks up as tight as I've ever seen. Wondering about the DOB as it does not have the "M" indicating it had been sent in for the recall. Serial # is: AEY94XX

IMG_686-X-1.jpg

Jackyl:
Gun number 1 is a K frame Chiefs Special or Chiefs Special Airweight. It falls in the period 1962 to 1969, (serial number range 29500 to 786544). The flat latch was deleted in 1966, because of the low serial number I think it is safe to assume your gun dates from 1962, 1963 at the latest.

Gun number 2 is interesting. It's not a Model 17/ K22 Target Masterpiece, as the serial number doesn't include a K. It's not a model 34 Kit Gun as serial numbers only went to 135465. Potentially it is a prewar .22/32 Hand Ejector which may have some collectors value. These were introduced in 1911 at serial number 138226. In 1915 the serial numbers were in the 160000 range and serial number 525600 is recorded in 1935, which gives a 20 year spread. Try posting a pic and we'll see if we can verify the identification.

Gun number 3, I need more info for. What caliber? Hammerless or exposed hammer? Does it have S&W marking?

Gun number 4: Forehand Arms was the successor company to Forehand & Wadsworth, manufacturing from 1890 to 1902 when they were taken over by Hopkins & Allen. Some of the Forehand Arms/ Forehand & Wadsworth guns were quite good and command reasonable money. Others were suicide specials.

Last edited:
Okay, I got a chance to see the supposed Model 2 that my mom found. It looks to be too small to be a Model 2. It's also only a 5 shot model. The patents on top mention 1865, 69 and 75, and a Reissue in 1871. The cylinder is fluted, and the butt is round.

After some research of my own, I think this may be a Model 1 1/2.

Does that sound about right Radagast? I'm working on getting my mom to take some pics, if she can actually find her camera.

NGIB: According to SCSW, your 686 dates from November 1984. If it doesn't have the "M" it was not sent back for the recall. My understanding is that S&W is still modifying guns that are sent back and that they pay the shipping both ways. I have a couple from the same vintage, as well as a couple 586s, that I've never sent back and I've never had any cylinder locking problems, but they're strictly range guns - if I used any of them for PD I'd definitely send them back.

TenmaNeko: You probably have a .32 Single Action (Model One & A Half Centerfire) These were a five shot .32 S&W (not long) single action revolver with a spur trigger ( no trigger guard) and a break top barrel. The barrel swings down to load and unload. These were made from 1878 to 1892. Patent dates seen on these guns include Jan 17 & 24 1865, July 11 1865, Aug. 24 1869, Feb 20 1877, & Reissue July 25, 1871. Values given by the Standard Catalog of S&W are heavily dependent on condition, ranging from $75 for a poor example to $1200 for as new. The original factory wooden case is worth $500 to $800.

These guns should not be confused with the model one & a half .32 rimfire which has a tip up barrel.

Model 19-7

I'm getting ready to sell one of my Smiths. It's a Model 19-7, serial BRB9060. Anybody know when it was manufactured? Thanks in advance.

Tree Fiddy: Between May & August 1994. The model 19-7 was produced from 1994 to 1997 and was the last model without MIM parts. The model 19 was discontinued in November 1999.

OK, I got one!

I'm cleaning a friend's S&W Bodyguard 38 in alloy (a model 38), SN J386xx, says "mod-38" under the crane, text on the right front frame area says "Made in USA" and "Springfield, MASS". Grips are round-butt, wood and match the frame's SN.

It's in perfect mechanical shape but has suffered some storage rust on the cylinder :( taking it out of the "collector" category. No deep pitting, nothing that hurts function but it does have some remaining "roughness". It will make him a fine defensive piece (avoiding +P ammo of course!).

He has the box and all papers, too, even the grease paper inside the box! Damn.

Any idea year of make and value if it was mint?

Thanks Radagast!!! Wish I'd have seen this yesterday. I'll get some pics of all of them up soon.

#3 does have an exposed hammer, I believe it to be .38 S&W, and has S&W markings.

Jackyl: Gun number three is a S&W .38 double action 4th Model. Manufactured between 1895 & 1909 in the serial number range 322701 to 539000. Your example with serial number 348xxx is a pre-1898 antique per BATF regulations, all guns of this model made prior to serial number 382022 are pre-1898, so yours is from the period 1895 to 1898.

This gun would have been made to shoot black powder .38 S&W cartridges. Modern smokeless ammunition will function in the gun, but will probably wear it out faster. If you are going to shoot it I suggest you get some black powder reloads.

Jim March: J386xx falls in the period 1969-1970, serial range for those years was J1 to J99999. in 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a As New In the Box value of $400 for the Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard. The Model 38 was produced from 1955 to 1999.

Back