Smith and Wesson serial number search

make sure you do, you'll never know whats available if you don't go.

I went to the last gun show here in Sydney (I'm an Australian) not expecting to do more than kill an afternoon and say hello to friends. Instead I found a S&W model 18-3 .22lr Combat Masterpiece, which was on the top of my wish list and is the only model 18 I've seen in the 21 years that I've been buying and selling guns. 98% of original finish too. :)

I'd sure appreciate the year of manufacture of our two Smith&Wesson 357's.

Model 19-3
SN: 7K69139
(I think this one is around 1976)

Model 66-2
SN: BAB7342

Thanks for any help!

Model 41 age

I have recently aquired a new in the box model 41 sn A599xxx. Can anyone tell the approximate date of manufacture. Thanks.

Last edited:
S&W 18-3, 5K42946. Just wondering when she was born. I KNOW she's worth more than I paid :cool:

Lent my copy of the Catalog out, and now this crossed my path.

I have a S&W, Blued, Model 27-2, less than 6" barrel, N-frame, .357 mag, #N449655, target hammer, target trigger, target grips. What do you guys know about this one?

I have recently aquired a new in the box model 41 sn A599xxx. Can anyone tell the approximate date of manufacture.

In the 1979 - 1980 time frame.

S&W 18-3, 5K42946. Just wondering when she was born.

Your baby dates from 1973.
I have a S&W, Blued, Model 27-2, less than 6" barrel, N-frame, .357 mag, #N449655, target hammer, target trigger, target grips. What do you guys know about this one?

Shipped in 1977 - 1978. Stock barrels at that time were 5", 6', and 6.5" (and others, both longer and shorter, which I assume don't apply here), so if it's less than 6", it should be 5" (exactly). Remember that revolver barrels are measured from the rear of the forcing cone.

Model 36 M

I' preparing to buy a S&W Model 36 M Serial #BNB 9XXX and I trying to find out when it was manufactured and if this model will handle Plus P rounds.
Thanks

Last edited:
I' preparing to buy a S&W Model 36 M Serial #BNB 9XXX and I trying to find out when it was manufactured and if this model will handle Plus P rounds.

Any Smith with a BNB S/N prefix dates from Feb-Mar of 1993. I'm not sure what the "M" signifies in the case of a Model 36 - in the case of the 586/686s it indicates that the gun was returned to the factory for modification to correct a problem with the firing pin, but I don't believe there was any recall for the 36. I suppose it's possible that this particular gun was returned to the factory for some type of modification and stamped at that time. Perhaps someone else could explain, or you might just call S&W Customer Support and see what they have to say.

The gun should be a 36-8; according to SCSW, the 36 was not rated for +P ammo until the 36-9, which was introduced in 1996.

Iv'e got a 15-3 with ser. #19k36xx.
...the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a {M65} value of $400 for as new in the box, $300 for excellent condition. It gives no variation for a three inch barrel.
FWIW any clean K frame .357 with a 2-1/2" or 3" barrel is worth $500+ in my area because they're great for CCW and S&W doesn't make them anymore. The OP stole that gun for $350. :cool:

I have M&P 357 Magnum model 65-2 and was wondering what the going rate is and also what year it was made. The serial is 1D71828

1979-80, and I'd say around $450 - $500, depending on condition and location, etc.

S&W 624 44 Special?

Hello all,

My grandfather has a S&W Model 624 44 Special. We heard that a small number of these models were subject to a recall, but only those made in the first half of 1985, Jan to June. He got his used (unfired) in about 89 but we wondered if this one was a recalled version. Any help would be appreciated... :)

It is ALB35##

Thanks!

Last edited:
smith and wesson serial # search

I have 2 s&w model 34-1 and would love to know when they were made.
first one my grandmother bought new dont know when ser.#m77###
second one m150###
thanks in advance.

My grandfather has a S&W Model 624 44 Special. We heard that a small number of these models were subject to a recall, but only those made in the first half of 1985, Jan to June. He got his used (unfired) in about 89 but we wondered if this one was a recalled version. Any help would be appreciated...

It is ALB35##

That S/N prefix would place the gun in the Nov/Dec 1985 timeframe. I'm not aware of any recall (which doesn't necessarily mean anything) and there's nothing mentioned about one in the SCSW. A call to Customer Service at S&W would get you a definitive answer.
I have 2 s&w model 34-1 and would love to know when they were made.
first one my grandmother bought new dont know when ser.#m77###
second one m150###

M77XXX would be 1973-77
M150XXX would be 1980-81 (BTW, I own M150023)
Sorry about the wide range on M77, but that's all the book has.

Back