Smith and Wesson serial number search

Highway Patrolman

Hey, guys...

I've come across a Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman that somebody converted to .44 Special. I was trying to track down the age of the original weapon. It's a S&W Model 28 (I presume, since it's stamped "Highway Patrolman" on the barrel), serial number 175XXX.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've come across a Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman that somebody converted to .44 Special. I was trying to track down the age of the original weapon. It's a S&W Model 28 (I presume, since it's stamped "Highway Patrolman" on the barrel), serial number 175XXX.

Technically, it appears to be a "pre" Model 28, but just barely. That serial number should have an "S" ahead of the digits. Assuming that to be the case, and assuming there's no model number stamped on the part of the frame that's exposed when you swing the cylinder out, your gun dates from 1956 - stamping of model numbers was initiated in 1957. If you do find the model number there, then it's one of the first batch of Model 28s in the strict sense, dating from 1957. (With that S/N it could go either way).

How about a Mdl 60-1 ALU 0XXX.

That's a tough one - the book has some gaps in that part of the sequence and S&W was using some numbers out of order around that time. It appears to be 1986-'87 from the S/N, and because the 60-2 was introduced in '87, I'd say 1986.

I'm looking at buying a Model 29 #N62678X
I'd sure like to know it's birth date.

That one's easier. 1979-'80, with 1979 being more likely. It should be a -2.

I have a couple of guns I'm curious about. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

First is a Model 41 - s/n A715XXX

The other is a Model - 29 s/n N146XXX

S&W 22 Revolver s/n 686938

I recently acquired an old S&W 22lr revolver serial no. 686938. Can anyone tell me the model number and year it was made?

I have a model 37 airweight with sn j8069xx, anybody know how old this is?

I have a couple of guns I'm curious about. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

First is a Model 41 - s/n A715XXX

Also 1981
The other is a Model - 29 s/n N146XXX

I am looking at a 17-5. can anyone tell me the manufacture date?
serial # is AJZ 0713

That S/N dates from the period when the information available is a bit sketchy. According to the S/Ns listed in SCSW, I would have said 1986, but the 17-5 wasn't introduced until 1988. They switched to S/Ns beginning with "B" later that same year, so my best guess would be 1988.

Y'all give me the "fever"!!

New to TFL, lot to like!!!:)

I have a S&W M10-5 2" RB complete with box & everything, given me in "never been (hot) fired" condition.
I figure it to be from 1970 ish. Wooden Stocks are imprinted with s/n matching the gun...D300-8XX.

Now the fever part,:D been scouring the local pawn & gun shops and found a S&W 65-5 3" pre-lock in LN condition. My reguler gun shop says I "stole" it @$350.:eek:

Says the 3" is hard to find "available" & would be more like $500 up.

s/n CBJ62XX

Would you be so kind as to tell me mfg dates and what y'all think.

Thanks!! Carpe diem!

Glock21SF: Your 10-5 dates to 1969-1970. Your 65-5 dates to between August 1996 & August 1997.

In 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $400 for as new in the box, $300 for excellent condition. It gives no variation for a three inch barrel.

Personally I think you did well. They aren't made anymore, so a like new condition second hand one is a good find.

Book value vs street value

Thanks Radagast!

Yea, I feel good about it.:D

I do notice the book vs street as a wide gap...example; local pawn shop has a M10-? 4" RB tapered barrel @ $449.00??!!.

When asked "make me a deal I can't refuse" they all say the same thing..."I can't, these are hot items and sell them as fast as I get them"!!!

My 65-5 had a date code of 02/09...that's four (4) months...guess that is considered fast...though it is a down economy and folks are just not spending...except for the occasional enthusiast.;)

Gun show next weekend...more fever and little $$$...gotta go though.

Carpe diem!

Back