Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi guys,

I just bought a model 49 from my Uncle, serial number 10Jxxx. I haven't been able to locate a copy of The Book yet. Anyone have a ballpark of when this one was made?

I just bought a model 49 from my Uncle, serial number 10Jxxx.
1971-1972. FWIW some S&W collectors refer to J frame serial numbers during these two years as "wandering J" because this was the only time that the letter "J" appears as the 3rd or 4th character rather than the 1st or 2nd.

Neat gun! Steel-frame shrouded-hammer "Bodyguard" J frames weren't very common in that time period. The Bodyguard has usually been more popular in Airweight alloy-frame form. FWIW if it has a 3" barrel, you've found a really rare bird. :cool:

Neat gun! Steel-frame shrouded-hammer "Bodyguard" J frames weren't very common in that time period. The Bodyguard has usually been more popular in Airweight alloy-frame form. FWIW if it has a 3" barrel, you've found a really rare bird.

Awesome! Mine is the snubby (1 + 7/8" maybe?) My Uncle said he bought it from someone who kept it as a nightstand gun and didn't shoot it much. My Uncle himself only put a couple boxes through it, and I can believe it because the bluing is pristine. The cylinder locks up tightly and the cylinder-to-forcing-cone gap is perfect. (Aside from that, it shoots great!)

Thanks so much for the info! I'm really glad to have such a great new family heirloom.

Skiffin16: The 337 was introduced in 1998 as the Chiefs Special Airlight Ti.
The 337PD was introduced in 2000 on the 337-1 frame and replaced by the 337-2 PD in 2002 with the internal lock. The 337 range was discontinued in 2004.

The standard Catalog of S&W records the serial ranges CFKxxxx in August 2002 and CFSxxxx in December 2002, so your gun probably falls in between.

bubba86: Those numbers are not the serial number. They are probably assembly numbers that get stamped on fitted parts to track them in the factory. The Serial number is always found on the bottom of the grip frame, you may need to remove the grips to see it.

The 13-2 was produced from 1977 to 1982. The serial number should fall between 2D0001 & 17D8900.

The model 38 Bodyguard Airweight was given it's model number designation in 1957 & was replaced by the 38-1 in 1988. If the serial number is 397xx then it was manufactured between 1953 & 1955 and should not be stamped model 38.

Post the correct serial numbers and We'll narrow it down further.

trex1310: The Model 64 was introduced in 1970 with a 4 inch tapered barrel, fixed sights, in .38 special on the medium sized K frame. It is the stainless steel version of the Model 10 Military & Police that has been in production in one form or another since 1899. in 1972 the 64-1 was introduced with a four inch heavy barrel and by 1973 the four inch tapered barrel 64 no dash was discontinued.
The model 64 continues in production today after several engineering changes. It has been the issue firearm for the Detroit Police, Delaware State Police, DC Metro Police, Phoenix Arizona police, NYPD, and Brinks security. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol ordered 750 in 1973 chambered in .357 magnum, this later became the model 65.

Your gun falls in the serial number range for 1972-1973, being D420001 to D510000.

TenmaNeko: The Model 2 Old Army is a single action .32 caliber rimfire revolver with a six shot cylinder. These were manufactured in the serial number range 1 to 77155 between 1861 & 1874. Yours was made in or prior to 1864 as the serial numbers ran to 29359 in that year.

Depending on condition these can be quite valuable. There were also several copies made. I suggest you take some pictures and post them in a new thread, quite a few of us will be interested to see them and you may learn something new.

Radagast

Excellent, thank you.

My mom has it currently, but I will get some pics of it from her.

She estimated the barrel was about 4" long, and still had original grips according to the pics she could find.

hey everyone

i feel rude that my first post is a question (or two) so from the get go i'm very sorry, but my father's trying to figure out a few things about his s&w and after searching the internet, this seems like the best place to ask. i'm pretty sure it's a model 19-4, but you might as well ask me how to build a space shuttle. (picture below)

first he wanted to know when his revolver was made, and the serial is -

95K2XXX

i'm pretty sure that's the right number. it's on the bottom of the grip.

second, his has what seems to be an extra stamp that i can't find on any other model 19 pictures through google. stamp's above and behind the trigger, and hopefully visible enough from the picture. we're just wondering why it has that stamp yet the pics we've seen don't have it.

zuql2t.jpg

we'd really appreciate any and all help. thanks in advance

damcon: The 19-4 was made between 1977 & 1982. This means it has a pinned barrel (look where the frame and barrel meet) and the cylinder is recessed to enclose the rims of the cases. Both features are considered desirable by collectors. Serial number 95k2xxx dates it to 1981 (serial range was 91K6901 to 124K000).
The S&W logo was moved to the left side of the frame from the right side so that S&W could use the right hand side plate for engraving police department logos and shields. This is why you will see pictures without the logo on the left.
The model 19 & it's stainless steel sibling, the model 66, are no longer manufactured.

Hope this helps!

Back