Smith and Wesson serial number search

Intern, the serial number range ended at 29359 in 1864 and 48475 in 1865, so potentially it was used during the civil war. It has the correct two pins in the top strap for an early model S&W No.2. There were unauthorized copies of the Number 2, if it is a S&W product it should have markings : "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass." on the barrel and Patented April 3, 1855, July 5, 1859 & Dec 18, 1860" in fine print around the cylinder.

A $50 fee paid to S&W will get you a factory letter stating the specifications and address shipped to.

SW Model 30-1

Hello, My wife's grandfather recently passed away and my wife inherited a model 30-1 32S&W long revolver. The SN is H260XX. Any information on the weapon would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
S&W Model 2-Thanks

Thanks Radagast. That information certainly helps. I don't know if you can see it from the picture below, but the barrel does say "Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass." I looked for the patent dates, but found no markings. Some bad pitting on the cylinder might explain the lack of any stamp. I agree, the simplest way to find out more information involves paying S&W their $50 search fee, but you won’t believe the hoops that state employees have to go through to get spending approval these days. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Model 29 Born On Date?

a) .44 Magnum
b) 6" bbl
c) square grips
d) 6 shot
e) adjustable rear sight (white outline) and red/orange insert ramp front sight
f) Serial #N791XXX
g) Mod. 29-2

USNavyFC: Model 30s were made from 1957, the beginning of the numbering of Smith revolvers, until 1976. Prior to that the gun was known as the .32 Hand Ejector (Postwar), the last of a long line of .32 Hand Ejector variations stretching back to the turn of the century. Yours dates from 1969-1970, and it should be a 30-1, indicating that it was made on the "J" frame - previous .32s used the "I" frame.

range_rider13: Your Mod 29 dates from 1980.

WhistlerSWE: CDR prefix indicates November, 1999.

D.O.B. of Smith & Wesson Revolver?

a) caliber .38sp/.357 mag
b) bbl length 6"
c) grips shape square
d) cylinder bores 6
e) type of sights. Adj.rear and fixed front
f) serial #ACL1XXX
g) factory wood grips
Smith & Wesson Model 686 (no dash)
No "M" Modification

Anyone know the production date?
Just bought it a week ago.
Everthing seems to be in tip top shape minor scratches not very deep and grips show wear.

Last edited:
S&W Mod 36

Hi. My parents have a S&W Mod 36 (.38 Special) that they inherited from my grandfather. Could anyone give me any back ground on this particular model and when it was made?

There were two numbers on the gun. One was under the crane (797xx) and the other was on the butt of the grip (J232xx).

Thanks

KNUMBSKULL: 1983

Allsop: 1973-1974, most likely '74. The serial number is on the butt; the number stamped in the yoke cutout is called an assembly number and has no particular significance. Prior to 1957, when Smith started the model numbering system, what became the Model 36 was known as the .38 Chiefs Special. It was the first revolver built on the "J" frame, which is now standard for the small Smith revolvers. The Model 36 was discontinued in 1999 except for a few special production runs.

Thanks FlyFish....I thought maybe 1982 or 1983 just as a guess...I've only had a chance to shoot about a half box of shells .Look forward to more shooting soon..

Intern: I suggest you go to the S&W forum: www.smith-wesson.forum.com and ask for further help there. There has been quite a bit of research into no.2s by the Smith & Wesson Collector's Association. You would still need to contact S&W for shipping data though.

Model 29 Born on Date?

a) .44 Magnum
b) 6.5" bbl
c) square grips
d) 6 shot
e) adjustable rear sight (white outline) and red/orange insert ramp front sight
f) Serial #N437XXX
g) Mod. 29-2

Another one..

A friend of mine has an old S&W mod 40 (Centennial??), 38 spl, round butt, flat latch, black, s/n 14xxx (no letters). What would be the manufacture date? Does it have any collectors value?
Thanks,
Ignacio

Last edited:
Ignacio49:
The Centennial was introduced in 1952 at serial number 1 and continued in production as the model 40 until 1972 at serial number 30160.The Serial number range started over in 1971 with an L prefix, serial range being L1 to L9861 to 1974 when the Model 40 was discontinued. So just over 40000 were made in 22 years. In comparison, over a million military & police revolvers were produced during the same period.

To help refine the time period (1952 to 1971 being a rather long run):
If the cylinder release latch is flat rather than concave, then it was produced prior to or during 1966.
If the Model number is stamped under the crane (cylinder hinge) then it was produced in 1957 or later.
If the original grips have an uncheckered diamond around the grip screws, then it was produced in 1968 or earlier.

There is probably some collectors interest in good quality Centennials, but values are not high. The Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $550 in excellent condition in 2006, dropping to $385 for very good condition.

I got two S&W revolvers that I would like to date and get a little bit more info.

First is a 65-6.
SN: cef-438x
4 Inch barrel
Does not have the hammer mounted firing pin.
I'm guessing that this revolver would be made in the late 80's early 90's.

Next is a 28-? (don't remember the dashed number - I want to say its a 2)
SN: N86847
4 Inch barrel
Pinned barrel

TIA

Back