Smith and Wesson serial number search

Please Help - Info on Model 586

Hi all, I own a model 586 no dash in nickel finish with a 6” barrel. I’m trying to find out the approximate age or ship date. My serial number is AEM65xx and I’m guessing it to be early to mid 1985, but I’m not sure. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi all, I own a model 586 no dash in nickel finish with a 6” barrel. I’m trying to find out the approximate age or ship date. My serial number is AEM65xx and I’m guessing it to be early to mid 1985, but I’m not sure. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks!!
You were close, book shows 1984.

Jim

1984 – AAU, ABV, ABZ, ACZ, ADE, ADM, ADR, ADT, ADW, AEA, AEB, AEC, AEF, AEL, AEM, AEV, AEZ, AFA, AFJ, AFK, AFM

1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW

1986 – ACE, ACV, AJC, AJD, AJN, AJS, AJT, AJW, AHC, AHU, AJS, ALW, ANA, ANB, ANF, ANK, ANN, ANP, AUB, AUC, AUH, AUM, AUU, AVC, AVT

1987 – AFL, AHC, AHV, ALC, ANK, ANN, ANR, ANS, AUC, AUK, AUV, AVA, AVB, AVN, AVV, AVY, AWD, AWE, AWF, AWP, AWT, AWU, AWW, AWY, AYE, AYF, AYL, AYW

1988 – AFZ, AWP, AYC, AYE, AYM, AYR, AYU, AYY, AWD, AZA, AZH, AZJ, AZE, AZL, BAF, BAN, BAP, BAR, BAS, BBA, BBF, BBH, BBN, BBT

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 17043-17050). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

You'll notice "AFD" isn't listed and for 3-letter-prefix serial numbers, they're not in alphabetical/chronological order.

Calling S&W will result in the most precise answer.

I would like to get the year of manufacture on a 4-inch Highway Patrolman pinned and recessed 28-2, serial number N571XXX please. This is the first site I have encountered that seems helpful in providing this info for S&W revolvers.

I would like to get the year of manufacture on a 4-inch Highway Patrolman pinned and recessed 28-2, serial number N571XXX please. This is the first site I have encountered that seems helpful in providing this info for S&W revolvers.
The N5xxxxx range ran from 1978 to 1980.

Jim

Hello all. I'm trying to track down some info for a friend. She has her dad's old gun and wants to find out what she can about it. I think it's a DA model 2, but I'm not sure. The serial number on the bottom of the grip is 273306 then it has a star after it

Hello all. I'm trying to track down some info for a friend. She has her dad's old gun and wants to find out what she can about it. I think it's a DA model 2, but I'm not sure. The serial number on the bottom of the grip is 273306 then it has a star after it
That serial number is outside the range for any 2nd model. S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models so I need to figure out the model first.
Is it a Top Break action (barrel tips down to load/unload) or modern swing out cylinder?
What is the chambering (caliber)? It will be stamped on the side of the barrel.
Does it have a hammer or is it hammerless?
The star indicates it went back to the factory for work, usually a refinish.

Jim

It is a top breach. The cylinder holds 5 rounds. The only stamping I could find other than the serial number is along the length of the barrel on the very top. It says Smith and Wesson us paten'd then gives a list of dates. It appears to be .38 s&w. It does have a hammer and it is d.a.

It is a top breach. The cylinder holds 5 rounds. The only stamping I could find other than the serial number is along the length of the barrel on the very top. It says Smith and Wesson us paten'd then gives a list of dates. It appears to be .38 s&w. It does have a hammer and it is d.a.
Ok, that would make it a .38 Double Action 3rd Model.
Serial numbers ran from 119001 in 1884 to 322700 in 1895.

Jim

Back