Smith and Wesson serial number search

But from what I've read the model 3 was a 6 shooter, hers hold 5
In 32 caliber it’s a 6 shot, only 5 in 38.

3rd Model only means the 3rd variation of that particular model. S&W made numerous different models using the term “3rd Model”. The .38 Double Action 3rd Model is only one of them.

Jim

Thank you very much. I was thinking 1962. Only needed because I want to pass it on to someone who was born on that date.
Serial number 125000 was in 1957 and 295000 was in 1962. The book does not narrow down any further. It is possible 269000 was in 62 since no ones knows how many J frames they made each of those years. The only way to get any closer would be to pay for a “letter” from S&W which would give you the date it was shipped and where it was shipped to.

Jim

New to sight need manufacturing date

I was given a very nice safety hammerless S&W in 38 S&w , it is blued and has a three inch barrel, the serial number is 256xxx. It is in 95% condition with no visible wear. If any one can help.

I was given a very nice safety hammerless S&W in 38 S&w , it is blued and has a three inch barrel, the serial number is 256xxx. It is in 95% condition with no visible wear. If any one can help.
That would be a 5th Model. Serial numbers ran from 220000 in 1907 to 261493 in 1940.
That’s a wide range but all the book shows.

Jim

629-4

:confused: Can someone please help me. I just purchased a 629 with no internal hammer lock (Thank goodness). The SN is AJW2817 and under that is M629-1. Can someone please tell me how old is this firearm. I tried looking it up on the S&W serial number search and it comes back "The Serial number that you entered is not valid for this Consumer Advisory." I don't understand. Thank you so much for your help.

:confused: Can someone please help me. I just purchased a 629 with no internal hammer lock (Thank goodness). The SN is AJW2817 and under that is M629-1. Can someone please tell me how old is this firearm. I tried looking it up on the S&W serial number search and it comes back "The Serial number that you entered is not valid for this Consumer Advisory." I don't understand. Thank you so much for your help.
AJW would be 1986.

Jim

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time and help.

Perhaps someone can help me date my good friend's S&W revolver passed to him by his late father in law. It is a Model 10 (or its predecessor) 6-shot, 5" barrel. Caliber is marked 38 S&W Special CTG. Has checkered wood grips with square butt, rounded blade front sight. Three patent dates are shown, Feb 6 '06, Sep 14 '09, and Dec 29 '14. The serial number is "S (space) 8417XX."
Any information the experts here can provide on its date of birth would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year,
Rex

Perhaps someone can help me date my good friend's S&W revolver passed to him by his late father in law. It is a Model 10 (or its predecessor) 6-shot, 5" barrel. Caliber is marked 38 S&W Special CTG. Has checkered wood grips with square butt, rounded blade front sight. Three patent dates are shown, Feb 6 '06, Sep 14 '09, and Dec 29 '14. The serial number is "S (space) 8417XX."
Any information the experts here can provide on its date of birth would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year,
Rex
It would be a .38 Military & Police (postwar). Serial numbers ran from S811120 in September 1945 to S999999 in 1948.

Jim

I've got a 686-4, so made between 1993 and 1997, but I cannot find any dates in the standard catalogue. Its SN is CAZ50xx, anyone who might know more?

Back