Smith and Wesson serial number search

Inherited a 28 S&W SPL from the grandfather. I would call myself a gun collector myself by any means but would love to find some info/potential value on it. On the butt of the gun is the serial 5536XX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Inherited a 28 S&W SPL from the grandfather. I would call myself a gun collector myself by any means but would love to find some info/potential value on it. On the butt of the gun is the serial 5536XX.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean a 38 S&W spl? Also, is it a 5 or 6 shot? S&W reused the same serial numbers across different models so I need to figure out what model you have first.

Jim

Last edited:
Seeking help in identifying whether the following serial number qualifies for CC&R treatment: 697691 (i.e., need date of manufacture) It is a Model 30. Thanks in advance.

Seeking help in identifying whether the following serial number qualifies for CC&R treatment: 697691 (i.e., need date of manufacture) It is a Model 30. Thanks in advance.
Pre model stamped 30’s (.32 Hand Ejector) ran to 1957. Model 30 ran from 57 to 1961. From 1961 on it was a model 30-1. The change over to -1 was at serial number 712954 in 1961 so your serial number dates in to right at 1960/61. Well past 50 years.

Jim

Last edited:
Pre model 28 ?

I have what I believe may be a pre model 28.  The serial number is 23XXX with a small number 6 slightly above and in  front of the first number 2 in the serial number. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

That is the serial number. S&W did not used to put the true serial number under the yoke, that is an "assembly number" to keep parts together before the gun is finished.
They later went to putting the serial number under the yoke because so many of the guns were getting target grips that covered the butt.

Your Highway Patrolman was probably made in 1954, maybe very early 1955.

Pre model 28

Thank you very much Jim for taking the time to help me out. Would this hand gun be considered a PRE- model 28?

Yes, but you have to realize that is a collectors' made up term.
Nobody went in a store in 1954 and asked for a Pre-28, they didn't know numbers would be assigned in a couple of years, they looked at a Highway Patrolman.

Question since i know someone can tell me here
Have a s&w .38 model 38 wanting to know when made serial# AHH6***, that number is the one on the bottom of the grip on the frame

Last edited:
1985/86

Jim
That makes no sense Jim, not saying your wrong, but I got it from a great great aunt after she passed away se didnt but any guns but the her husband did he died in the late 60s and along with it was a nuther s&w .38 that my dad got, how would it be a 85/86 model when he got it before he died lol thats confusing I'll have to talk to my dad to see if he knows

That makes no sense Jim, not saying your wrong
I can't speak for family memories but S&W started using the three letter prefix (followed by four numbers) in 1980 with AAA0000. Since the number is stamped on the bottom of the grip frame it would be the serial number.

Had the gun been made between 1969 to 1983 it would have a "J" in the serial number and prior to 1969 it would be numbers only.

And yes, since the gun is all steel you can use +P.

Jim

Back