Smith and Wesson serial number search

The serial number is the one on the bottom of the butt.

Numbers under the yoke, where people look unsuccessfully for "model number" on pre-1957 guns are assembly numbers used to keep parts together at the factory.

Reading the post above mine, I think I was looking in the wrong place. I hate to take the grips off and risk breaking them.

It's a six shooter. Number is on the bottom of the grip. No letters to be seen. It is nickel plated but someone took a brush to it at some point. The patent date on the barrel is 1905. My dad got this around 1955 after serving on the jury that convicted Leslie Irvin in Indiana. After the decision was read during the trial, Irvin stood up and told the jury he was going to kill them all. He escaped jail a few days later, which was why my dad got the gun.

Info on revolver

Good day, Would greatly appreciate the following info decoded from the box on my revolver:

I understand the first three
Model No.: 29
Barrel: 6
Fin.: N

Stock: TS
Features: TT TH RR WO
Serial: AFF1076
Product Code: 101212
Spec. Ord.: 5064

Thank you!

Last edited:
Can someone look up a number for me, please?
S&W Model 29
DCP42XX

Reading the post above mine, I think I was looking in the wrong place. I hate to take the grips off and risk breaking them.

About the time they went to the three letter code, they started putting the serial number under the yoke so you didn't have to pull the target grips to read it.
The only D - anything was in 2003.

Doc's AFF is from 1984. I think.

It's a six shooter. Number is on the bottom of the grip. No letters to be seen. It is nickel plated but someone took a brush to it at some point. The patent date on the barrel is 1905. My dad got this around 1955 after serving on the jury that convicted Leslie Irvin in Indiana. After the decision was read during the trial, Irvin stood up and told the jury he was going to kill them all. He escaped jail a few days later, which was why my dad got the gun.
Cool story!
Problem with serial number is a 1905 patent date would make it a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905 but they started at serial number 62450 in 1905. 357xx would be for a Model of 1902, which would not have a 1905 patent date on it.
Could you post a pic of the gun as well as a pic of the serial number? You can email it to me if you prefer.

Jim

Good day, Would greatly appreciate the following info decoded from the box on my revolver:

Stock: TS
Features: TT TH RR WO
Product Code: 101212
Spec. Ord.: 5064

Thank you!
Stock: TS = Target Stocks.
Features: TT TH RR WO = target trigger, target hammer, red ramp front sight, white outline rear sight.
Product Code: 101212 = Breaks out to 6" N TS TT TH RR WO 1984 - 1991 47 oz.
Spec. Ord.: 5064 - The special order code on the box (5064) dates it to the 64th day of 1985. That is when it was packaged.

Jim

Last edited:
You are right about the patent date. My crappy eyes, plus the wire brushing of the barrel had me thinking it was a 5, not a 2.

You are right about the patent date. My crappy eyes, plus the wire brushing of the barrel had me thinking it was a 5, not a 2.
Which makes it a .38 Military & Police Model of 1902 - 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 33804 in 1903 to 62449 in 1904.

Jim

Last edited:
How about this for a serial number?

P8183XX

TIA
Not a S&W serial number with that "P" prefix. Take the serial number from the underside of the grip frame. You may have to remove the grips to see it. Also, what is the chambering and is it a 5 or 6 shot?

Jim

My good friend just inherited this piece and is wanting to sell it. He gave me first offer before offering it to a dealer. Can anyone tell me what year it was made and an approximate value? Thanks for any info.
7612838d188985f936e907df55a6f1ef.jpg

83e5a4f19eaf7b91f021c9a7ba59fe49.jpg

Not a S&W serial number with that "P" prefix. Take the serial number from the underside of the grip frame. You may have to remove the grips to see it. Also, what is the chambering and is it a 5 or 6 shot?

Jim
Sorry, S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum 6 shot.

4104X

Thanks Jim!

Sorry, S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum 6 shot.

4104X

Thanks Jim!
For a Model 29 the serial number will have either a "S", "N" or three letter prefix followed by numbers. The numbers above are assembly numbers. The standard location is stamped on the bottom of the guns grip frame. See attached pic below.
Is it possible the "P" in the first number you gave me is actually a "N" ?

My good friend just inherited this piece and is wanting to sell it. He gave me first offer before offering it to a dealer. Can anyone tell me what year it was made and an approximate value? Thanks for any info.
Those pics are waaaay too big. Serial number C825xxx would be 1966. Non original grips and light pitting, about $400 tops.

I have three for which I miss a production year please

29-2 # N 371481

27-3 # N 940451

610 # BFN 1053

I have three for which I miss a production year please

N 371481 = 1975/76
N 940451 = N9xxxxx ran from 1982 to 1986.
BFN 1053 = 1990

Jim

Attachments

• SN.jpg
    SN.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back