Smith and Wesson serial number search

Smith and Wesson 44 Special ctg

My wife's grandmother has a gun that belonged to her late husband and is curious about it's age.

The gun itself has smith and wesson stamped on the left side of the barrel (the side the cylinder opens on) and 44 special ctg on the right side of the barrel.

The butt of the gun and the shroud list the following number: 329xx

The cylinder when opened lists C787xx. The C is stamped above the 5 digits. The 5 digits are on the frame itself and on the cylinder arm once it's opened.

Any help is appreciated.

The butt of the gun and the shroud list the following number: 329xx
Based on your comment of the shroud it would be a 44 Hand Ejector 3rd Model (also known as the Model 1926 Hand Ejector).
There were 4976 manufactured between 1926 to 1941 in the 28358 to 61412 serial number range.

The 2nd Model, which ran from 1915 to 1940 with a starting SN of 15376, does not have a barrel shroud protecting the ejector.

The other numbers / letters are assembly numbers.

Jim

double stamped

I'm looking for date of manufacture and any other information about my revolver. The serial number is 9710. The stamping on the cylinder is over another 4 digit number that I believe ends in 83. Thank you, Papazip

I'm looking for date of manufacture and any other information about my revolver. The serial number is 9710. The stamping on the cylinder is over another 4 digit number that I believe ends in 83. Thank you, Papazip
Years ago S&W reused the same serial numbers among different models and years. I would need to figure out what model you have to give you a date.
What is the exact chambering (caliber) stamped on the side of the barrel.
Is it a 5 or 6 shot?
Modern swing out cylinder or older tip down barrel to load?
The serial number will be stamped on the underside of the grip frame.

Jim

double stamped

Thanks for getting back to me. The gun is a 6 shot Hand Ejector in 32 Winchester CTG. 9710 is stamped on the butt, the rear of the cylinder, and under the barrel in the ejector rod cavity.

Thanks for getting back to me. The gun is a 6 shot Hand Ejector in 32 Winchester CTG. 9710 is stamped on the butt, the rear of the cylinder, and under the barrel in the ejector rod cavity.
That would make it a .32-20 Hand Ejector Second Model.
Serial numbers ran from 5312 in 1902 to 9811 in 1905.

Jim

Just got a model 64-3 new in the box. Unfired. Can you believe that! I’m sorry, just excited. Would you date it for me.

1D58XXX
Heavy barrel
Square butt

Thanks a lot

Can someone please help me with what year my .38 spl snub nose mod 10-7 was made? Serial # 18D0XXX any help would be greatly appreciated!
Edit: I think I figured it out. From what I've found it was made in '77

Last edited:
Can someone please help me with what year my .38 spl snub nose mod 10-7 was made? Serial # 18D0XXX any help would be greatly appreciated!
Edit: I think I figured it out. From what I've found it was made in '77
Actually, 1983.
Serial numbers ran from 17D8901 to 21D0883 that year.

Jim

Well, not much help. The only thing the book list for the 916 series is they started production in 1972 and the MSRP for the 916T was $142 to $169 in 1978.

Jim

Back