Smith and Wesson serial number search

Nope! I don't have it unfortunately. Thank you though! As it's a 29-5 I knew it was 90s but I was just curious as to when. You're the man! :D

Tired looking up my S&W 64-5....

Hi, been awhile since I've looked in on this forum. Glad to see it's still around.
On the subject of years of DOB for my Md 64-5, can anyone tell me what year mine is? Serial # BFT- 17**, it's in SS. It's in great condition, no pitting, no scratches & the original wood grips are shiny & new. Just a sweet piece.

I looked at S&W's web site and found nothing to direct me to find years of man. for this model.

I've read there's a catalog of years S&W puts out. If someone has this book, can you please help me out by telling me what DOB and the year of shipping my gun is? I've read they didn't ship soon as it was produced but shipped when needed too.

Also, besides spending the $50 fee for S&W's letter of history, etc. is there another venue to research & obtain this info?

I have lots of hand guns, but only one S&W. Love the feel & handling of it. It's no wonder it was (or still is), the preferred weapon for law enforcement. Just a great gun over all.

So, if anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, shoot straight & be safe....

Please help identifying this gun

Hello everyone,

I inherited my father's old off duty weapon he had as a Highway Patrolman during the late 1950s. It's a Smith & Wesson 38 special, 5-shot. I can't figure out the exact model or type. Here are some pics.

There is a number on the bottom of the butt that says 653xx.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Gun 2 small.jpg
    Gun 2 small.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 22
  • Gun 4 small.jpg
    Gun 4 small.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 25
  • gun 1 small.jpg
    gun 1 small.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 15
There is a number on the bottom of the butt that says 653xx.
It’s a .38 Chiefs Special which became the model 36 when S&W began stamping model numbers ~ 1957.
Your serial number of 653xx dates it to 1955.
Definitely a keepsake.

Jim

586-3 year of manufacture?

I could use some help, trying to figure out my "new" toys year of manufacturing. 586-3 L frame, 4" #BBMOxxx. Anyone know when this baby was made?

Last edited:
Trying to find out what I've got

I got this Smith and Wesson when my grandpa passed a few yrs. ago. The only numbers I can find aside from the patent numbers are the bottom of the grip. Would be nice to know what it is for sure. The number is 8304T. I do know it's a 38

Last edited:
Please advise Mod # and date
Hello All: I believe this is a Pre 27. N frame with number on grip of 611** (don't see an S in front of it). Thanks for any help.

586-3 L frame, 4" #BBMOxxx

I got this Smith and Wesson when my grandpa passed a few yrs. ago. The only numbers I can find aside from the patent numbers are the bottom of the grip. Would be nice to know what it is for sure. The number is 8304T. I do know it's a 38
There would not be a "T" in the serial number. See pic for serial number location.
Also, is it a 5 shot or six? Modern swing out cylinder? Does the chambering stamped on the side of the barrel say 38 S&W Special (Spl) or just 38 S&W?

Jim

Last edited:
Please advise Mod # and date
Hello All: I believe this is a Pre 27. N frame with number on grip of 611** (don't see an S in front of it). Thanks for any help.
If it is a 357 and that serial number is correct then you have a Registered or Non Registered Prewar Magnum. Serial numers ran from 45768 in 1935 to 62489 in 1941.
Since these are worth serious money I would really like to see a picture to confirm. You can attach a pic here or email one to me.

Jim

I took a better look at the # and it is 83047. I would show you a pic. but my files won't upload for whatever reason. It isnt a swing out chamber either. It breaks in front of the trigger. 5 shot

Back