Smith and Wesson serial number search

I took a better look at the # and it is 83047. I would show you a pic. but my files won't upload for whatever reason. It isnt a swing out chamber either. It breaks in front of the trigger. 5 shot
Got the pictures. It's a .38 Safety Hammerless 3rd Model. Serial numbers ran from 42484 in 1890 to 116002 in 1898.

Jim

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson .38

Can anyone give me an idea what model and date this serial number belongs to? Its a .38 revolver and the serial number is 3407xx. I have a chance to buy this but want to make sure I don't overpay.

Thanks

Can anyone give me an idea what model and date this serial number belongs to? Its a .38 revolver and the serial number is 3407xx. I have a chance to buy this but want to make sure I don't overpay.

Thanks
Is it a 5 or 6 shot?

Assuming it’s a 5 shot the serial number dates it to ~ 1963. It could be a model 36 (steel frame) a model 37 (aluminum frame) or model 38 (aluminum frame with concealed hammer). The model number will be stamped on the frame of the gun just forward of the cylinder. You’ll have to open the cylinder to see it.

If it’s a 6 shot then likely a 38 Military & Police in which case the serial number would date to early 1920’s.

Jim

Last edited:
It has the concealed hammer on it and is a five shot.
So it would be a model 38 (also known as the Bodyguard Airweight) from 1963.
And again, that assumes the serial number does not have a "J" prefix.
340xxx = 1963
J340xxx = 1976

So that should pretty much cover it.

Jim

Need help identifying s&w

I have a very old s&w 38 special serial 6707xx. I think it’s pre-ww2 but want to know what year. It’s been passed through the family. Can anyone tell me when it was made. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a very old s&w 38 special serial 6707xx. I think it’s pre-ww2 but want to know what year. It’s been passed through the family. Can anyone tell me when it was made. Thanks in advance for any help.
1915-1942 241704-700000

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Location 16776). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

.38 Special Hand Ejector M&P

From the info given, it may be a .38 Special "Hand Ejector".
The referenced book doesn't indicate which specific years for the s/n range and doesn't indicate if production was even for each year (i.e., ~32,700 unit/year or not). If it can be assumed production was close to being even, we still don't know if production was for the entire last year. It might be a good estimate the subject revolver was made in 1941 or 1942 using my rough math skills.

I'm trying to find out the age of a S&W 41 Mag Model 57. Serial # 835927. Have tried various links with no luck...Thanks
I suspect the Model 57's serial number is missing a letter prefix, such as an "N".
If so, this revolver was made between 1980-1983.

Model 57 revolvers go back to 1964. If the serial number turns out to be something different, perhaps provide photos next time.

Back