Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi All,

I am from Finland and this is my first post in here. I am writing because I have trying to find my first .22lr Smith&Wesson and have been dreamed of 4" 617. Unfortunately those are almost impossible to find in Finland at the moment. I really want to have it in stainless and now I find one mod 63 from auction sale. I know it is not the same than 617 but could be OK for my use (keeping it with me when hunting). Before deciding what would be my limit for buying it I would like to know own little bit more of it. Could someone please help me with the year when it is manufactured? The serial number is AYP3486. What is the value of that kind of gun in US?

Thank you very much for your help!

The serial number is AYP3486. What is the value of that kind of gun in US?

Serial number dates it to 1987. Auction prices on Gunbroker average around $600 to $750 depending on condition and if it has the original box and paperwork.
The model 63 is built on the smaller "J" frame vs. the model 617 on the "K" frame.

Jim

My friend just showed me his Model 59 that was given to him back (he thinks) about 1983.

It is like new, and I am trying to find out for him when it was made and what it is worth.

SN A544XXX

Can you help me with this information?

Ballzak,

A544XXX = 1979.
Value depends on condition and finish (blued or nickel). And if it has any accessories such as original box and paperwork. Figure from about $300 well used (but not beat up) to $600 plus in like new with original packaging.

Jim

I just purchased a nice 4" Model 29 no dash. Serial number is S216147. I am looking for MFG date. Thank you in advance.

I have an older 640 .38 centennial SN: BNC7993 my father gave it to me thinking he bought it sometime in the 80's NIB. Anyone have an idea of when it was manufactured or what it's worth?

Thanks Jim. Yes I have original box and original wood grips which were never used. My dad said 90's sounds more like it. He couldn't remember if it was 80s or 90s.

Picked up a clean very good condition in a S&W plastic case
with all papers and spent round S & W 5946 from a LGS
and the spent shell envelope has a date of 2/25/2015
sku 149332. Can anyone tell me if this is the made on
or shipped date ?
Thanks for any replys :cool:

the spent shell envelope has a date of 2/25/2015
There is the date the frame was made and serial numbered, the date it was assembled into a gun, test fired and packaged and the date it shipped to a distributor. From there the gun sits at the distributor until a dealer orders it and however long it sits at the dealer until it's sold to a buyer. A lot a dates in there. In addition, the time from manufacture till the date shipped can vary from a few weeks to more than a year.

A letter from S&W will tell you the ship date but not the manufacture date. The date on the spent shell envelope would be about as close as you'll get.

Jim

Hi,

I lost the last auction for S&W mod 63 but now I finally got one (or it is still in Germany waiting freight to Finland). Looks that the grip is very old (original) so maybe it is not the last models but good enough for me because I've been thinking to change it for Crimson laser grip, can someone please advice what would be the right model of grip(s) to it?

Maybe someone could also help with the manufacturing year, the serial number should be M134025?

Thank you very much again for your help.

Attachments

• DSC04218 (Kopie).JPG
    DSC04218 (Kopie).JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 18
Back