Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W Model 657

Just getting into pistols and bought a stainless 41 mag model 657, SN# AVA 2033. Any info you guys could tell me about it I would greatly appreciate

Hey I've got tw that I would like some info on. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

1. Model 10-7 4" Serial # 3D50xxx

2. Model 28-3 6" Serial# N955xxx

Thanks in advance!!:)

Hi,

I purchased this S&W. Barrel says "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG", serial # 551XXX. The box it is sitting on is a prop. Any help with the model & date?

mySmith.jpg

Thanks!

I purchased this S&W. Barrel says "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG", serial # 551XXX. The box it is sitting on is a prop. Any help with the model & date?
.38 Military and Police Model of 1905, 4th Change.
SN's ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942. Your sn. would probably be 1920's.

Jim

Hello all, First post here. Wouldn't you know, I need a favor. I just picked up a smith and wesson model 25-2. The side is stamped model 1955. I measured the barrel to be 6.5" The serial is " N24949" ..wondering when it was made and approx value of the pistol in average/above average shape with no box etc just the gun. Trying to see if I did alright on a trade.

thanks

I just picked up a smith and wesson model 25-2. The side is stamped model 1955. I measured the barrel to be 6.5" The serial is " N24949" ..wondering when it was made and approx value of the pistol in average/above average shape with no box etc just the gun.
The closest the book comes is 1974-1977. In average shape, I'd say it's worth $650, give or take $50.

You don't mention the chambering, but the book mentions that pre-1977 M25s chambered in .45 Colt rather than .45ACP are rare and worth a premium; I've seen a couple offered for $1,000+, but in ANIB condition with a presentation case and all the goodies. You might want to get it lettered, although there's reportedly a significant delay at S&W right now.

The serial is " N24949"
1970/71. I haven't been watching prices on 25-2's but I would say at least $500.

Jim

Edit: I see carguychris offered what is probably more accurate values.

Last edited:
thank you very much for the info. I would estimate it to be worth probably 450-500 or so then. The reason is it has been drilled for a scope mount on the top so im sure that hurts value as well as it has aftermarket grips on it. Im honestly probably going to sell it to buy another gun for carry. I just wanted to make sure i didnt get the short end on it. It is a 45 ACP. I think 500 is a fair asking price for it.

thanks again.

Last edited:
38 Special

I have a chance to purchase a S&W revolver. The barrel has "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG", stamped on it, the serial number is 870XXX. The box is with it and I would say it is in extremely good condition. Any idea on value and manufacture date.

Thanks,

I have a chance to purchase a S&W revolver. The barrel has "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG", stamped on it, the serial number is 870XXX. The box is with it and I would say it is in extremely good condition. Any idea on value and manufacture date.
.38 Military and Police Model of 1905, 4th Change.
SN's ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942. Your sn. would probably be 1930's. Having the orginal box adds a lot of value, but I really don't know what the whole package would be worth.
Carguychris might be able to give a price estimate.
Jim

I have a un that my grandfather left me. It is a S&W .38. Serial number
8352X.

I have attached a picture to try and figure out its worth. One of the grips is broken off as you can see in the picture. Thanks for the info.

Thanks Layton for the previous help.

SW38.jpg

I have a un that my grandfather left me. It is a S&W .38. Serial number
8352X.

I have attached a picture to try and figure out its worth. One of the grips is broken off as you can see in the picture. Thanks for the info.
Pictures make it easier! It's a 38 Single Action, 2nd Model made from SN 1 in 1877 to SN 108255 in 1891.

Jim

I just picked up a S&W 29-3, serial # AUL7XXX. I am guessing early to mid 80s. If it's not too much of a hassle, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Back