Smith and Wesson serial number search

S & W 36

I just bought this revolver, and the previous owner said it was an older model. It just doesn't look that old. The serial number is AYN4xxx. Would someone be so kind as to tell me when it was made?

serial number

Thank you very much. I appreciate the information. If you are in need of masonry advice, don't hesitate to ask!

Model 910, 15round Mag, serial #VYJ5xx
The book only covers autos to 1998. You'll need to call S&W customer service and they'll give you the DOB free over the phone.

Can anyone help with 656xxx.
Gonna need a little more info... caliber, any letter prefixes or suffixes with those numbers, 5 shot, 6 shot?

Jim

Help!

I recently purchased a S&W Mod. 6904 Ser. #TDE7XXX.
Can anyone tell me what year it was made? I understand there are three generations of this weapon. Can you tell me which this is, and what the differences are, or where I can find this info on line?

Thanks

Another serial # request

A friend just bought a S&W Model 28, serial # S1824XX, and is looking for a rough date for it. If anyone could look it up it'd be greatly appreciated.

My Christmas present to myself is a model 15-3 SN 9304XX to go with a model 27 N3268XX. Thanks for any info.

I recently purchased a S&W Mod. 6904 Ser. #TDE7XXX.
Can anyone tell me what year it was made? I understand there are three generations of this weapon. Can you tell me which this is, and what the differences are, or where I can find this info on line?
Four digits = 3rd generation.

To the best of my recollection, if the four digits are XXYZ:

XX:
39 = 9mm single stack
40 = 40S&W
45 = .45ACP
59 = 9mm double stack, full size
69 = 9mm double stack, compact

Y:
0 = full-size DA/SA (known in S&W-speak as "Traditional Double Action" or TDA) with combo decocker/safety
1 = compact DA/SA with combo decocker/safety
2,3 = full-size DA/SA with decocker only
4,8 = full-size DAO
5 = compact DAO
6 = extra-large (>4" barrel) DA/SA with combo decocker/safety
7 = compact DA/SA with decocker only

Z:
3 = alloy frame with stainless finish, stainless slide
4 = alloy frame with black finish, blued slide
6 = stainless frame and slide

Some of the feature numbers are redundant, many possible variations were never produced, and some permutations don't always make sense, such as the "0" as the 3rd digit of the compact 6904. S&W also mixed things up by producing:

*A "Chief's Special" subcompact lineup with a "CS" prefix followed by a number denoting the caliber (eg. CS9, CS40, and CS45).

*A "Value Series" lineup with 3-digit model numbers. The first digit denotes caliber, "9" for 9mm Luger and "4" for .40S&W. The second two digits are "08" for compact single-stack and "10" for full-size double-stack, reflecting ammo capacity under the AWB; the numbers weren't changed after its expiration. An "S" suffix denotes stainless. These guns are decontented versions of regular 3rd-gen guns. For instance, a 908 is a decontented 3914.

* A "Tactical" lineup with a TSW suffix and the word "TACTICAL" in great big gaudy engraved letters on the slide. The only significant "tactical" feature added to most of these guns is a rail for a flashlight or laser, but there are exceptions, as below...

* Two different versions of the 4013 and 4053 were made. Guns without a "TSW" suffix had single-stack magazines and no rail, while TSW "Tactical" guns had double-stack magazines and a rail. The double-stack guns have substantially thicker and heavier frames.

Whew, can't believe I just wrote all that. :) Feel free to nitpick any mistakes...

Last edited:
what about a model 10-6 ? "C6585xx" on the butt & "D039xx" in front of the cylinder - just noticed that tonight. are non matching numbers unusual?

Back