Smith and Wesson serial number search

Help me identify is this Model 20?

Hea everyone I am new to owning a S&M just got last weekend. I have not been able to get the S&M bible yet. I think it is a model 20 from like 1946-1947 serial number is s648##

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up 36. no dash. J528XXX
1976/77.

Hea everyone I am new to owning a S&M just got last weekend. I have not been able to get the S&M bible yet. I think it is a model 20 from like 1946-1947 serial number is s648##

You're correct. Although it was called a .38/44 Heavy Duty until S&W assigned model numbers in 1958.

Jim

Hi, I just picked up an S&W Military & Police revolver in .38 S&W Special. The serial number on the bottom of the butt is S 857912. Can anyone tell me what year it was made? Thanks!

Hey guys great forum. I was given this S&W .38 by my father who got it from his father. I shot it at the range a few days ago and a worker on the line commented on what great shape it is and worth a bit of money. I'll never sell it, but was pleasantly surprised and started researching it. The SN is 205xxx and says 38 S&W Special CTG and would appreciate all the info you could provide. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was given this S&W .38 by my father who got it from his father... The SN is 205xxx and says 38 S&W Special CTG and would appreciate all the info you could provide.
It is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 3rd Change. This model was made from 1909 to 1915, and your gun falls in the middle of the serial number range, so it was probably made around 1912-1913.

Two warnings that have been made before:

1) Keep any ammo labeled +P far, far away from this gun! It is not safe to fire this modern high-pressure ammo in an old gun without a heat-treated cylinder. It would be a tragedy to blow the cylinder of this family heirloom to bits. :(

2) This gun predates the S&W hammer block safety. It may discharge if it's dropped on the hammer hard enough to shear off the hammer pivot pin. :eek: Do not carry this gun with a live round under the hammer.

Thanks alot for the info and warnings, I had no idea. :o At the range I bought (but haven't shot yet) some Magtech target rounds, it just says 38 SPL 158gr LRN (38A), are these safe?
Any recommendations on keeping the finish looking as good as it is now? Thanks again.

At the range I bought (but haven't shot yet) some Magtech target rounds, it just says 38 SPL 158gr LRN (38A), are these safe?
Yes, they're safe. The high-pressure ammo will be prominently labeled +P on the package. Most +P ammo is marketed for self-defense or hunting, and will usually also be labeled as "Personal Protection", Self-Defense", "Law Enforcement", or some such thing.

FWIW if you intend to use your gun for self or home defense, Buffalo Bore offers some very potent loads that can be used safely:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38
Any recommendations on keeping the finish looking as good as it is now?
Wipe it down with a light coat of a quality gun oil such as Break Free CLP. Then wipe any visible oil and fingerprints off the gun off with a clean, dry rag, and when you place it in storage, hold it by the rag so you don't get any more fingerprints on it.
29-2
Ser #= N7710##

Long time lurker, first time poster. I picked up an old S&W .22 revolver, 6 inch barrel, it has been sitting in the safe at least 15 years now. I seem to remember it is a Model 17, not sure. Memory is bad. Anyway, Serial Number is K131XXX. Blueing is 100%, looks lightly fired if at all. Looking for Model, Birth Date, and ball park value estimate. Thanx for any info.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I picked up an old S&W .22 revolver, 6 inch barrel, it has been sitting in the safe at least 15 years now. I seem to remember it is a Model 17, not sure. Memory is bad. Anyway, Serial Number is K131XXX. Blueing is 100%, looks lightly fired if at all. Looking for Model, Birth Date, and ball park value estimate. Thanx for any info.
It's a K-22 Target Masterpiece, the predecessor of the Model 17. It was built in 1951. Ballpark value, $550-$600 if it's been fired, $700-$750 unfired with box and tools.

I have a gun here very similar to cdl6449's. Except it is silver-colored with a longer barrel. It looks like online pics of the M&P or Model 10. The barrel says "38 S & W Special" followed by 3 illegible letters, possibly "CFG". The serial number begins 4747XX. This belonged to my great-great grandfather and has some history to it.

The most recent patent date listed on the top of the barrel is "Dec 29 14" (1914).

Any help would be appreciated.

I just received a pistol that was my grandfathers. Wondering if you guys can help me out with any info.

On the barrel it reads: 44 S&W Special CTG

The serial number on the bottom of the grip handle: 13xxx

TIA

Back