Smith and Wesson serial number search

year of manufacture

Greetings

I have a S&W model 19 snubby, AND79--.
Would like to know its date of manufacture. It is in fairly good condiition, I have had it only couple of years; but am thinking of doing action job and coating with black satin with AZ Response Systems. Not cheap, but they do good work.
I have heard some years were prime for production and others were not, so would be interested also if this gem would have been in S&W's prime. It does not seem to be a Fri afternoon production, but does show wear.
'
thanks,
cmsgt5

I have a S&W model 19 snubby, AND79--.
Would like to know its date of manufacture. It is in fairly good condiition, I have had it only couple of years; but am thinking of doing action job and coating with black satin with AZ Response Systems. Not cheap, but they do good work.
I have heard some years were prime for production and others were not, so would be interested also if this gem would have been in S&W's prime. It does not seem to be a Fri afternoon production, but does show wear.
1986/87. S&W did not have any prime years per se' but with that said, most collectors prefer the pinned barrel/recessed cylinder versions made pre 1982. After that would be the pre MIM/internal lock versions. ~97 for MIM and ~2001 for internal lock depending on model. And some folks who buy their guns just to shoot don't much care one way or the other.

Jim

First S&W

Just got my first .357, an S&W 686. s/n starts with AJM22xx. Looking for an approximate age, etc.

It was a former police issue and looks/feels in very good condition. Nice feeling balance and trigger. Only put a couple dozen .38 through it so far, but looking forward to many more rounds in the years to come.

Thanks,
Jay

Serial Number X Fabrication Date

Hello everyone.
I'm from Brazil and I have a .38 caliber S&W revolver that I think be dated between 1910 and 1920 the S/N is 196147. Could anyone give me any idea when it might be dated?

thanks for all the help I might get.

sinceriously.

I'm from Brazil and I have a .38 caliber S&W revolver that I think be dated between 1910 and 1920 the S/N is 196147. Could anyone give me any idea when it might be dated?
1) Does the barrel inscription read .38 S&W CTG. or .38 S&W SPECIAL CTG.?

2) How many cartridges does it hold?

3) Do you open the cylinder by swinging it out to the left-hand side, or do you open it by tilting the barrel down and the cylinder up?

4) If you open the cylinder by tilting the cylinder up, does the gun have a visible hammer? If so, does it have to be thumb-cocked for each shot, or does it self-cock when you pull the trigger?

5) Do you have pictures?

OLD S&W

1) The Inscription Read .38 S&w Special Ctg

2) It Holds 6 Cartridges

3) The Cylinder Opens Swinging Out To The Left-hand Side

-it Is A Double Action, Blue Finish, 6", Wood Grip.
At The Moment I'm Not Able To Send Pictures.

( I Also Have A Niquel Finish One That Have The Same Descriptions But The S/n Is 223234 )

Model 12-2

SN C8121xx

Does it have a flat cylinder release latch? It was phased out during this year. M12s with flat latches command a slight premium, and are especially unique because IIRC the M12 is the only civilian K frame variant that normally had one. :cool:

{EDIT} Footnote: Many years of conventional wisdom says that you shouldn't ever fire +P ammo in a K frame .38Spl Airweight such as an M12, but a popular ongoing thread on the S&W forum has proven that the gun can withstand over 10,000 rounds of it. I'll let you and your MIL draw your own conclusions. :)

Nickel S&W model 19

A new older S&W model 19 on its way to AZ. Can anyone date please?

serial # 33K20--

It's a nickel; seller thinks it's a model 19-4.

thanks!

How about a Model 10

Serial Number C xx

I'm still in awe, I've never seen a two digit serial number before.
1948. I'm in awe too. :cool: The gun should sell for a slight premium just for that!

FWIW the 1948 model was called .38 Military & Police, not Model 10. Most collectors would refer to it as a "postwar 5-screw pre-Model 10".

p.s. Send me a PM if you ever want to sell it. ;)
A new older S&W model 19 on its way to AZ. Can anyone date please?

serial # 33K20--
1978-1979.

Last edited:
Back