Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W 1917 U S Army

Vytoland the serial #'s you posted on page 20 of this thread do not reflect Military serial #'s am I right and if so a U S Army 1917 with ser# of 65994 what would the mfg date be , anyone ? A neighbor of mine has a S&W N frame .44 S&W special ser# 21121 the mfg date would be 1924 to 1925 is that correct? and it would be a Model ? 1908 or new century ? thank you from your help. John

Goodness! Lots 'o new posts!
It looks like online pics of the M&P or Model 10. The barrel says "38 S & W Special" followed by 3 illegible letters, possibly "CFG". The serial number begins 4747XX... most recent patent date listed on the top of the barrel is "Dec 29 14" (1914).
.38 M&P Model of 1905, 4th Change, most likely built during the Depression when serial numbers were non-consecutive, making build dates impossible to track (refer earlier in this thread).
Smith Wesson Model 10 - US Navy "Victory"
Serial #2373**
I'm going to presume you left off the "V" prefix since you already know it's a Victory. It was built around Jan-Mar 1943.
On the barrel it reads: 44 S&W Special CTG

The serial number on the bottom of the grip handle: 13xxx
Ooooh. Wooow. {drools} ;) .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model, aka New Century, aka Triple Lock. The only S&W with a third locking lug inside the yoke. This is a rare and valuable gun; I rarely see these selling for less than $1k unless refinished and/or really beat up. Most sell in the $2k-$3k range. Oh yeah, yours was built in 1914-1915.
...a U S Army 1917 with ser# of 65994 what would the mfg date be , anyone ? A neighbor of mine has a S&W N frame .44 S&W special ser# 21121 the mfg date would be 1924 to 1925 is that correct? and it would be a Model ? 1908 or new century ?
I'll get back with you on the M1917. I think early 1918, but there's a database of WWI U.S. firearms somewhere online, but I forgot the address.

Your neighbor's gun is a .44 Hand Ejector 2nd Model. It's not a New Century because that name belongs to the Triple Lock, see above. This is still a rare and valuable gun, although worth about 2/3 to 1/2 of a Triple Lock.
smith 38 revolvers, ser.#191xxx and 107xxx THANKS
Answered in another thread...
Serial number D144xxx

Oh well, here is another Smith a Model 36-1, serial Number J5304xx, 3" 38 wood grips. Any info would be great. Thanks

Thank you, Chris. I was hoping that from dating cdl6449's to 1913-1915 based on a 2XXXXX SN it might pin down to the 1915-1917 range. With this information (possible manufacture as late as the 1930s?) from you I may have to foot the $50 for S&W to give me the skinny, family members want to know more about it as there's conflicting information in the family as to the exact history of the pistol and the manufacturing date would go a long way towards helping us sort it out.

smith 38 revolvers, ser.#191xxx and 107xxx
In another thread you listed these numbers with a "C" prefix which would make them "38 Military and Police" made from 1948 to 1951.

Oh well, here is another Smith a Model 36-1, serial Number J5304xx, 3" 38 wood grips. Any info would be great.
1976/77.

I was hoping that from dating cdl6449's to 1913-1915 based on a 2XXXXX SN it might pin down to the 1915-1917 range. With this information (possible manufacture as late as the 1930s?) from you I may have to foot the $50 for S&W to give me the skinny, family members want to know more about it as there's conflicting information in the family as to the exact history of the pistol and the manufacturing date would go a long way towards helping us sort it out.
cdl6449's serial number makes his gun a 3rd change which were made from 1909 - 1915. Your serial number makes yours a 4th change which were made from 1915 to 1942 with serial numbers running from 241704 (1915) to 700000 (1942). During the time period yours was made gun sales were slow and a serial numbered frame could sit for a long time before being assembled into a gun and shipped. Only S&W can get you an actual shipping date.

Jim

Last edited:
Ooooh. Wooow. {drools} .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model, aka New Century, aka Triple Lock. The only S&W with a third locking lug inside the yoke. This is a rare and valuable gun; I rarely see these selling for less than $1k unless refinished and/or really beat up. Most sell in the $2k-$3k range. Oh yeah, yours was built in 1914-1915.

Very cool! Thanks for the info. Mine is not in what I would call great condition but it isn't bad either.;)

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum, being directed here by a friend who thought you guys could help.

I own a Model 57 .41 mag, that I bought at a pawnshop years ago, but the guy had no clue when it was made. After searching online for years and not really being able to afford the S&W book that is listed here, was hoping someone could find my year of manufacture.

Serial # is N706XXX, 4 inch barrel blue.

Thanks in advance!

I own a Model 57 .41 mag, that I bought at a pawnshop years ago, but the guy had no clue when it was made. After searching online for years and not really being able to afford the S&W book that is listed here, was hoping someone could find my year of manufacture.

Serial # is N706XXX, 4 inch barrel blue.

Jim

Hate to ask

I have been plannng to get the Standard Catalog for over a year. Still kicking myself for passing one up on a clearance table for $20.

Model 57 (no dash) 41 Mag, 8 3/8 barrel, TT, TH. N346XXX. The only thing that seems odd is the lettering is Gold. Seems my last one (long since gone) there was no color in the lettering.

Edit: Hated to ask so much I forgot to ask. What is the year of manufacture?

Last edited:
Model 57 (no dash) 41 Mag, 8 3/8 barrel, TT, TH. N346XXX. The only thing that seems odd is the lettering is Gold. Seems my last one (long since gone) there was no color in the lettering.

Edit: Hated to ask so much I forgot to ask. What is the year of manufacture?
1975/76. The gold coloring was likely added by a previous owner.

Jim

Thanks Jim. The gold is done well though I'm not real happy it isn't original. It was purchased to shoot so I'll leave it as is. Thanks again.

The SCSW only list the serial numbers as starting at 1 in 1917 to 209791 in 1948.

Jim

I saw on another website a guess of 1918. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks for the info!

Month/YEAR Of Maufacture please

Tamara; S&W model 53 700XXX PLEASE Thank you. S&W website would have charged anywhere from $30--$50 provide this and it's one I owe you

Last edited:
Tamara; S&W model 53 700XXX PLEASE Thank you. S&W website would have charged anywhere from $30--$50 provide this and it's one I owe you
Well, I'm not Tamara, but your your gun was made in 1966. And you don't owe me.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim My Model 53 is new in origional box W/ inserts and tools still in plastic It also is still wrapped in the oiled paper. Santa ordered a box of 50 rounds for it although it will never be fired while I'm alive or dead that's in my will. I figure it's worth more with a box of ammo. Old western scrounger won't guarantee the ammo will be here by x-mas. Maybe by my birthday then(Jan 8 same day as Elvis) but different year. I saw one somewhere on the net with the same discription for $1600

Back