Smith and Wesson serial number search

Quote:
It's a 32 Long and has either OTG or CTG on the barrel. ( I Know nothing about revolvers). It has the S&W trademark. serial # is 461XXX

Round or square butt? Any patent dates on top of barrel?
I am pretty sure it was round and had 3 patent dates--the latest one was 1914 i think.
That's all I can remember. Thanks so much!

could someone date this smith for me ? I am going to buy that book but havent yet . ser # 139xxx thanks
It's either a 1st or 2nd change made from 1906 to 1909

I am pretty sure it was round and had 3 patent dates--the latest one was 1914 i think.
That's all I can remember.
Okay, sounds like a .32 Hand Ejector Third Model. SN's ran from 263001 in 1917 to 536684 in 1942. So probably 1930's.

Jim

Helping looking up build year and value

Hello,

I am new member to this site and I'm hoping someone can be of some help. I have recently inherited 2 handguns from a relative that has passed away.

#1 is a S&W .38 SPL Serial Number J984769

#2 is .22 Astra-Uncetay CIA S.A.-GUERNICA the words ASTA and CUB are engraved on the grip Serial Number 155770

I'm looking to see what the approx resale value of these guns might be and also how I would go about determining whether they are actually registered etc.

I am new member to this site and I'm hoping someone can be of some help. I have recently inherited 2 handguns from a relative that has passed away.

#1 is a S&W .38 SPL Serial Number J984769

#2 is .22 Astra-Uncetay CIA S.A.-GUERNICA the words ASTA and CUB are engraved on the grip Serial Number 155770

I'm looking to see what the approx resale value of these guns might be and also how I would go about determining whether they are actually registered etc.
The S&W was made in 1982. Value depends on condition ~$250 to $400.
As for the Astra, I don't have any references for them.
Registration depends on your local laws. I don't know were you live.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the helpful information. I live in Jersey but these would have been originally registered in Virginia Beach, Virginia. (assuming they were registered at all) My question would be if I attempt to register these in New Jersey will the "system" indicate whether the serial numbers are actually registered to my grandmother whom has since passed away?

Thanks for the helpful information. I live in Jersey but these would have been originally registered in Virginia Beach, Virginia. (assuming they were registered at all) My question would be if I attempt to register these in New Jersey will the "system" indicate whether the serial numbers are actually registered to my grandmother whom has since passed away?
No, because there is not a federal registration (one state wouldn't know or care about the other state). In most states and locals the paperwork you fill out when buying a gun goes no further than the dealer himself. When I lived in Virginia there was no gun registration. There are however some state, county and locals with registration laws but the data is for their use only. Clark County (Las Vegas, NV.) required all guns purchased and /or brought into the county to be registered with the sheriffs office. They would keep it on file but it went no further then them. If you moved out of the county no one would care or know.
Your best bet is to contact your local law enforcement and ask them if they require gun registration, hopefully talking to someone knowledgeable.
Here's a good site for some of the gun laws:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Jim

Last edited:
hey, I just got my grandfathers S&W .38 special ctg revolver for christmas and I would like to know the year it was made and maybe even a value on it. Thanks

its serial number is 63xxx

Quote:
"hey, I just got my grandfathers S&W .38 special ctg revolver for christmas and I would like to know the year it was made and maybe even a value on it. Thanks

its serial number is 63xxx"

Where did you find that number?? Look at the bottom of the frame(between the grips) and post that number.

I recently recieved my Grandfathers Smith & Wesson .38 Special.. I want to know when it was made and a little more information about it. If anyone has the book and would like to help please e-mail me at
Gonna need more information like serial number (bottom of grip butt) and how many rounds it holds, etc and a pic would be helpful.

hey, I just got my grandfathers S&W .38 special ctg revolver for christmas and I would like to know the year it was made and maybe even a value on it. Thanks
its serial number is 63xxx
5 shot or 6? Value depends heavily on condition.

Jim

Info request

I really don't know much about guns, but I do have the opportunity to purchase the following for my husband for his birthday, and wondered if anyone could please let me know what the manufacture date and value is of it. I would really appreciate it.
It's a S & W 32 number 4 top break, # 185xxx for $250.

Thank you,
Karen

I really don't know much about guns, but I do have the opportunity to purchase the following for my husband for his birthday, and wondered if anyone could please let me know what the manufacture date and value is of it. I would really appreciate it.
It's a S & W 32 number 4 top break, # 185xxx for $250.
Serial numbers ran from 43406 in 1883 to 282999 in 1909.
Like most collectables, value depends on condition. That said, the book shows $200 for one in very good and ~$300+ in excellent.

Jim

Last edited:
I stumbled across this thread while looking for a way to find out what year my S&W was made. It is a .38 special model 36, 5 round snub nose serial number is 385XXX. It was my grandfathers. thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:
S&W 17-3

hi all,new here to this forum and was wondering if anyone had any info on a S&W model 17-3 22lr revolver 6 shot with serial#k9381xx any info would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance...

My brother-in-law just came into possession of his great-grandfather's S&W and just wanted to get some more info on it:

38 S&W Special CTG on right side of barrel
K 6596 on inside of frame
S 930989 on butt of grip
6 shot

Thanks for the help in advance!

Back