Smith and Wesson serial number search

First (Larger): .38 Caliber i think. SN: 106218 Only other info on it is as follows.
Smith&Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A. PAT'D Jan17&24.65
July.11.65 Aug.24.69 July.25.71 Dec.2.79 May11&25.1880

Second (Smaller): .30 caliber i think. SN: 123046 Other Info
Smith&Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A. PAT'D Jan24.65
July.11.65 Aug.24.65 REISSUE July.25.71 May11.80 Jan.3.82
Both guns are what's known as top-breaks.

#1 is a .38 Double Action 2nd Model made in 1884. It's chambered in .38 Smith & Wesson aka .38S&W, which should not be confused with the newer, more powerful, and much more commonplace .38 Special.

#2 is a .32 Double Action 4th Model probably made around 1890. It's chambered in .32 Smith & Wesson aka .32S&W. The cartridge is commonly called the .32 Short to avoid confusion with the newer, more powerful, and somewhat more commonplace .32 S&W Long aka .32 Long.
...what looks like a S&W scofield 44 mag...
So when do we get to see that one? It might be a rare and valuable gun, but I'll caution you that Spanish fakes outnumber real S&W Model Number Threes (of which the Schofield is a subtype) by a vast margin. :rolleyes: FWIW real S&W top-breaks were never chambered in .44 Magnum; Schofields were chambered in .45 S&W aka .45 S&W Short (to avoid confusion with the .45 Long Colt cartridge simultaneously used by the U.S. military), and most other Number Threes were chambered in .44 Russian, although a wide variety of other chamberings were available.

Smith & Wesson - Model 617

Hi everyone, I just purchased this really nice condition used S&W-model 617 in a 6" barrel lengh. Serial # BHH6xxx. Was wondering if anyone could offer any information about it. Possibly date of mfg, and are these grips standard on this model. Thanks for any comments, and it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply carguy, thats exactly the type of info i was looking for. I will be over at his house on sunday and will take some pics of the other revolvers that he has there.

Now maybe this is a question for another forum, but what would be a good method of restoring/cleaning these up. I dont know how far i can go into the surface rust, and dont want to damage the plating that is remaining. Are these rare guns that i should leave in the current condition, or take a little bit of careful time and try to get some of the surface rust off?

Also, is there a source for parts out there? Would be interested in getting the hammer pin for the .38.

Thanks again!

Daniel

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I just purchased this really nice condition used S&W-model 617 in a 6" barrel lengh. Serial # BHH6xxx. Was wondering if anyone could offer any information about it. Possibly date of mfg, and are these grips standard on this model.
1991. Yes, the combat grips are standard. 617's/17's are really nice and accurate guns.

Jim

Are these rare guns that i should leave in the current condition, or take a little bit of careful time and try to get some of the surface rust off?
Neither of these guns are rare. Hundreds of thousands of them were sold. Both of your guns have a 3-1/4" barrel and nickel finish, which is probably the most commonly encountered configuration. Book value of the .38 is ~$120, while book value of the .32 is ~$100. I'd say go ahead and clean 'em up. :)

If I might get some help with another S&W I would be very thankful. This time it is for a model 10, serial 278xxx.

thanks to all for this much appreciated service...

AirLite Ti

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bought an AirLite Ti today. No idea of year of manufacture. Serial Number CDF2520.

Thanks again.

the REV

If I might get some help with another S&W I would be very thankful. This time it is for a model 10, serial 278xxx.
Is there a letter prefix with that serial number? The SN would be found on the bottom of the grip butt.

Jim

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I wanted to clean them up and put them on my wall just for sentiment reasons and i think they are cool antiques. I will get on them then and take off the surface rust.

What is the best way to remove some of the surface rust and clean them really well?

Looking at a S&W 36 revolver serial number J9567XX, what year would that be? Its a blued 2" barrel model, 350 is the asking price.

Quote:
Bought an AirLite Ti today. No idea of year of manufacture. Serial Number CDF2520

March 1999.

Jim

Thanks Jim, 3 minutes with a reply. Beats sending 50 bucks to s&w.

-the REV

Thanks Jim, 3 minutes with a reply. Beats sending 50 bucks to s&w.
You haven't received my bill yet. :D

Looking at a S&W 36 revolver serial number J9567XX, what year would that be? Its a blued 2" barrel model, 350 is the asking price.
1982. In decent shape $350 is a fair price.

Jim

there is no letter prefix on my M10 (M&P), just the 6 digit serial # i mentioned earlier. also no "marcas registradas" spanish text or big engraved SW seal which makes me think its a bit older than i thought.

Looks and works like new for 400.00
Always wanted one but titanium was out of my price range.
Seemed like a good deal to me.
Laser grips should be in 3 days from now, makes it the perfect carry gun IMHO.
Thanks again.

there is no letter prefix on my M10 (M&P), just the 6 digit serial # i mentioned earlier. also no "marcas registradas" spanish text or big engraved SW seal which makes me think its a bit older than i thought.
Yeah, quite a bit older. It's a 38 Military and Police of 1905, 4th Change. SN's ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942. Your serial number is likely pre 1920. They did not become know as model 10's until S&W assigned model numbers in 1958.

Jim

model 36

ok, I seem to have found just the place to find out what I need to know... How about the DOM for a model 36 with the serial # j1900xx?
Thanks!

Back