Smith and Wesson serial number search

I have a S & W .45 ACP w/ "S & W D. A. 45" stamped on the right side of the barrel.

It has patent dates of Feb. 6, 06; Sept. 14, 09; Dec 29, 14 on top of the barrel.

It is nickel plated.

Checkered wood grips.

SN#634XX .

I have printed out the form to get it lettered. Looking at the S & W website it appears they are not currently accepting applications for letters. I plan on calling them tomorrow to verify.

In the mean time, can anyone give me any more info?

Thanks in advance.

I have a S & W .45 ACP w/ "S & W D. A. 45" stamped on the right side of the barrel...

It is nickel plated.

Checkered wood grips.

SN#634XX
It's a .45 U.S. Army Model of 1917, commonly known as an M1917, made in 1918. A correct original one should have the text U.S. ARMY MODEL 1917 oriented vertically on the butt and the text UNITED STATES PROPERTY underneath the barrel flat. All M1917s originally had 6-1/2" barrels.

The military M1917s, which accounted for the vast majority of production, had blued finish and usually had smooth walnut grips. A few commercial-market M1917s were sold with nickel finish and checkered grips, which could make yours valuable if the finish and grips are original, but I'll caution you that they're probably not. Many M1917s were sold off during the 30s and 40s when military surplus guns were regarded as cheap tools. Distributors often gussied them up to squeeze a few more bucks out of them when they were resold. A few pictures may reveal whether the gun was refinished, because a low-quality refinish (and most were low-quality) is usually easy to spot. :rolleyes:

FWIW one of the common modifications was to cut the barrel to a more carry-friendly ~4-1/2" length; such guns are known among collectors as "Indy Specials" after a famous fictional character who carried one. ;)

Thanks for that info!

I'm not the best photographer but here are a couple of shots. If you need a different angle, let me know:

DSC04947.jpg

DSC04943.jpg

DSC04948-1.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, there is no "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" any where and the only thing on the barrel flat is the SN.

I suppose that it could have been covered by a refinish but I can't tell that it has been refinished, but I am certainly no expert.

Regarding the M1917, it's been refinished. The hammer and trigger are supposed to have a color case finish, not nickel plating. The stocks (correct term for S&W grips) appear to be the correct style for an N frame of this era, but they don't fit properly; the bottom corners of the RH panel don't quite meet the corners of the frame. Wood stocks on S&Ws of this time period were carved to match individual frames, which usually came out slightly different sizes due to variations in the finishing process. Stocks that originally came on the gun should fit better than those do. I'll bet you there's a number under the RH panel that doesn't match the gun's serial number.

FWIW don't be upset that the gun's not original. Most aren't. :rolleyes: Shooter-grade prewar (WWII that is) N frames command pretty good prices nowadays, and you can shoot it without guilt. ;)

Chris!

Thanks for the breakdown!

I'd never be disappointed in what I learned about the revolver's quality or monetary value. It is invaluable to me. I just wanted to know all I could learn about the gun.

When the bushes rustled in the night or when a pack of dogs attacked our dog in the backyard, or when someone jiggled the door knob in the middle of the night, it was the weapon in my Dad's hand. He was a member of the "Greatest Generation". We lost him this August.

Thanks again for the help!

I know you guys are probably tired of looking up DOMs for those of us that are to cheap to buy the books but I am going to ask anyway. None of these are collector grade guns but I am still curious.

Model 13-2 #9D332XX
Model 34-1 #M1988XX
Model 12-3 #5D783XX
Model 624 #AHB58XX

Thank you much, it is greatly appreciated.
lkbenson

29-2

Ok Boy's I just brought my new toy home from the toy store. S&W 29-2 SN is N421XXX can someone please look up when this beauty was made?

Thanks.....

Ok Boy's I just brought my new toy home from the toy store. S&W 29-2 SN is N421XXX can someone please look up when this beauty was made

reference: S&W standard catalog 3rd edition.........model 29-2, .44 magnum, production change in 1962, included a clyinder stop change and elimination of the trigger guard screw..

1969: serial number prefix was changed to "N" after s/n S333454.

Back