Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks, laytonj1, pretty interesting. I seem to have a pretty early model then, I'm definitely going to have to send off that letter to S&W now.

I have recently acquired a 38 S&W Special CTG and I am wondering what an approximately value is on this revolver and an estimated dob.

Bottom of the grip 6D18XXX
MOD 10-7

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a .32long passed to me from my Granpa. The story is that my Granma chased a naked man out of her barn with it when the old man was at work. She had country girl spunk! I never did find out the whole story but it sounded great to us kids....

serial# 490xxx
Probably from the 20's or 30's

I've got a .32long passed to me from my Granpa. The story is that my Granma chased a naked man out of her barn with it when the old man was at work. She had country girl spunk! I never did find out the whole story but it sounded great to us kids....

serial# 490xxx
Probably from the 20's or 30's
It's either a .32 Hand Ejector 3rd Model or a .32 Regulation Police. The difference between the two is the grip configuration.

The .32HE has a round butt frame with a smooth backstrap. The factory stocks were probably either black hard rubber or checkered walnut; post-1929 walnut stocks will have a silver S&W logo medallion. these guns are also sometimes seen with factory walnut "extension" stocks that cover the entire backstrap and have a sharp shoulder at the top.

The .32RP has a unique shouldered backstrap and extension stocks that create a square-butt-like profile. The top of the backstrap is exposed, but the stocks cover the bottom half of the backstrap below the shoulder.

Your gun may have been built during the 30s when S&W assembled many of their guns out of serial number order using stockpiled parts. You'll have to letter it to get an exact build date.

Man I sure could use some help.

S&W Model 10-6. 4 inch barrell, blued.

Serial number is 2D693XX

Could someone please tell me what year it is?

Thanx!!

S&W Model 10-6. 4 inch barrell, blued.

Serial number is 2D693XX

Hope the severe flooding/snow up there is not causing you problems.
My back will never be the same from shoveling the 6 feet of snow we received in three weeks. Fortunately, the worst I got from the mass melt was a flooded crawl space.

Jim

Hello community!

When my grandfather passed away I was left one of his old S&W revolvers and I'm trying to find out how old it is and also what kind of finish it has. I've been to a couple different places that sell guns but I haven't seen a finish like the one this one has. I've attached a picture but it isn't very clear. The finish is a non reflective gray.

When I open the cylinder there is a 10-6 number and on the butt of the gun the Serial # C659xxx

Also I've seen some really nice aftermarket grips (hogue/pachmayr) that I might want to add. What size frame do I have? I think K but I'm not 100%

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys, long time lurker and was hoping for help just like the other 30 some odd pages of people:D

so i have an old smith and wesson with the serial # of 13085 with a star after the numbers, on the barrel it says 44 special CTG and the other side of the barrel has a bunch of patent #s. the gun is nikel. from everything ive seen reaserching online i think it is a triple lock but im not sure.

anyways thanks for the help:)

When I open the cylinder there is a 10-6 number and on the butt of the gun the Serial # C659xxx

Also I've seen some really nice aftermarket grips (hogue/pachmayr) that I might want to add. What size frame do I have? I think K but I'm not 100%
1963/64 and it's a "K" frame. As for the finish... ?????

so i have an old smith and wesson with the serial # of 13085 with a star after the numbers, on the barrel it says 44 special CTG and the other side of the barrel has a bunch of patent #s. the gun is nikel. from everything ive seen reaserching online i think it is a triple lock but im not sure.
Pixs help, but the serial number and caliber would make it a .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model (Triple Lock) made in 1913. The "star" suffix indicates it went back to the factory for repair and/or refinish.

Jim

thanks jim, i had found awhile ago that it went back due to the star designation. will smith and wesson clean it upo again if i asked them? im not really interested in selling the gun but would love for it to look a little better so i can frame it and hang it on the wall. the gun has quite the history so im told by the person who gave it to me:rolleyes:

Back