Smith and Wesson serial number search

now I am confused

...my wifes gun is a model 36ls dam84xx and the four #"s after that on the box 6347...the gun doesn't say ladysmith on it anywhere...this info came off the box...what is it?...also how do you decode features?...like 05-a2-sm-gw-bt-sf-sc-fc-cc...all printed on the box under features? Thank you

...my wifes gun is a model 36ls dam84xx and the four #"s after that on the box 6347...the gun doesn't say ladysmith on it anywhere...this info came off the box...what is it?...also how do you decode features?...like 05-a2-sm-gw-bt-sf-sc-fc-cc...all printed on the box under features? Thank you
Hmmm. The original model 36 (along with the 36LS) was discontinued in 1999. The 36LS should have "Ladysmith" engraved somewhere on the gun as well as smooth rosewood grips. Your SN indicates recent production. Does the SN on the gun and box match? The current (reintroduced model 36) is part of the classic series and does not show a 36LS as being offered.
05 = 5 shot
A2 = single action / double action
SM = small compact frame
GW = wood grips
BT = traditional barrel
SF = fixed sight
SC = interchangable front sight
FC = fired case or cartridge included
CC = Depending on model = carbon steel cylinder or case colors or clear cote finnish.

LS = ladysmith, which is not on your box?
S&W 38 spec. ctg Believe to be Mod 15

SN: K 280XXX

Jim

Last edited:
I would like help from an SW expert please.

I have a early 70's SW Model 36 .38 caliber snub nose Chief Special.
Was one of Elvis Presley's.

Serial # 7766xx.
Would love to know the exact year manufactured.

Thanks

Chris
702 313-1400

Can anyone help on my 19-4 Serial 87K1xxx

I have a early 70's SW Model 36 .38 caliber snub nose Chief Special.
Was one of Elvis Presley's.

Serial # 7766xx.
Would love to know the exact year manufactured.
1968 is when the serial number was stamped on the frame. As far as when the frame was assemblied into a gun and shipped, you would have to get a letter from S&W.

Jim

Jim, I would like to thank you for dozens of pages of responses and request a date for a 34-1, serial #15,XXX.

Kar-el

I have a model 64-3, SN= ABR74xx. Any help on mfg. date would be greatly appreciated.

Jim, I would like to thank you for dozens of pages of responses and request a date for a 34-1, serial #15,XXX.

Your welcome. However, your serial number/model dash number don't work.
34-1 started in 1960 at serial number 70000. Check for the SN on the bottom of the grip butt.

Jim

layton..

you see my confusion...the gun and box are the same serial number ...the gun is nickle 36-10...the features seem to be correct per your decoding except that the front sight doesn't appear to be interchanable...it's not pinned in but i could be wrong...I can email pixs so you can see:confused: the sideplate is where ladysmith woulg be ?I t is not there

you see my confusion...the gun and box are the same serial number ...the gun is nickle 36-10...the features seem to be correct per your decoding except that the front sight doesn't appear to be interchanable...it's not pinned in but i could be wrong...I can email pixs so you can see the sideplate is where ladysmith woulg be ?I t is not there
Per the SCSW, there was a special run of 225 model 36-10's made in nickel in 2006 but it does not list them as being LadySmiths.
Try calling S&W's customer service and ask them. They might be able to tell you based on the serial number.
The front sight pin was probably polished flush with the base then plated making it hard to find.

Jim

I have this Old Gun

I have an older Smith in 22LR.
It is a six"bbl. with adjustable sights, Patent dates on the barrel are;
Feb 6,06-Sept14,09-Dec29,14
Serial#646xxx
In the Yoke is 7057
What are it?
Pre War K22??
Any idea on date of birth?
Whatever it is it shoots great!!
Thank you in advance for your consideration,

Bill Henderson

I have an older Smith in 22LR.
It is a six"bbl. with adjustable sights, Patent dates on the barrel are;
Feb 6,06-Sept14,09-Dec29,14
Serial#646xxx
In the Yoke is 7057
What are it?
Pre War K22??
Any idea on date of birth?
Model K-22 Outdoorsman (K-22 1st model)
Serial numbers ran fron 632124 in 1931 to 682419 in 1940.

Jim

Back