Smith and Wesson serial number search

Special run 686 SS

I have two Model 686 SS 2-1/2" revolvers that I purchased New in the 80's and one has never been fired. If my memory serves me correct (not always the case) these were told to me to be Del Horton special commissioned weapons do to their barrel length, adjustable sights and SS finish. the SN's run AFA 4xxx and AEZ8xxx the boxes both have "Order#4282

How do I find out more about these guns and their market value?
Thanks,

Tim

I have two Model 686 SS 2-1/2" revolvers that I purchased New in the 80's and one has never been fired. If my memory serves me correct (not always the case) these were told to me to be Del Horton special commissioned weapons do to their barrel length, adjustable sights and SS finish. the SN's run AFA 4xxx and AEZ8xxx the boxes both have "Order#4282
There were ~2500 manufactured in 1984 for Lew Horton distributors. The 2.5" barrel and finger grooved wood grips seperated them from standard 686's. I've seen used ones sale in the $600+ range. I don't know what a NIB example would go.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. I moved to WA from AK and used the one 686 as a survival weapon in my Bush plane for years. I have shot lots of hand loads through it and it has never failed me. I have even for fun one year shot both a moose and a black bear with it. I wasn't aware that there were that many produced. I am planning on applying for a WA CC permit this week and considering purchasing a set of FO or Crimson trace sites for it (my eyes aren't worth beans anymore.

Thanks,

Tim

I've got a mdl 60 j frame (no dash) with serial # R229XXX. When was it made? Any other interesting info?

As I understand it, the +p designation came along at 60-4...?

Thanks for your help,

milspec

I've got a mdl 60 j frame (no dash) with serial # R229XXX. When was it made? Any other interesting info?

As I understand it, the +p designation came along at 60-4...?
1979. As far as the +p rating, the 60-4,-5,-6,-7 and -8 were all introduced in 1990 but only the -4,-7 and -8 were +p rated. With -9 and up, they built on the magnum frame.

Jim

Tell me more about my 629-4...

I have a stainless 3" 629-4 in .44 magnum with what looks like a factory Houge grip. Serial number is BRU7xxx. Can someone tell me when it was made or anything else about it?

Last edited:
Looking for production dates on the following snubbies:

Model 10-5 S/N #D7406XX
Model 64 (no dash) S/N #D8411XX

Thanks!

I have a stainless 3" 629-4 in .44 magnum with what looks like a factory Houge grip. Serial number is BRU7xxx
~1994.

There was a special run of 3" 629's in 1994 called the Backpacker. It was product code 130450 if you have the original box to verify.

Model 10-5 S/N #D7406XX
Model 64 (no dash) S/N #D8411XX
D7406XX = 1975
D8411XX = 1976

Jim

Model 38

I recently acquired a S&W model 38 with serial #J6870XX. Would be very appreciative if you could tell me year of manufacture and anything else of interest.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Back