Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W model 10

Thank you Mr Layton for the fast reply to my query. I forgot to say that the weapon has a 6 shot capacity. The serial no was on the bottom of the butt of the weapon and again stamped on the bullet conveyor on the back of the bullet ejector. It is well used not collector material ,there are a lot of nicks and scratches,but the nickle plate is in good condition.I doubt that I will sell it. Can gunsmith take out the defects [nicks & scratches] ? Thanks again

Bob S

Unless the original finish is in bad shape (assuming it has it's original finish), refinishing will reduce it's value. Of course, if that's not an issue and you just want it to look good then yes, get it refinished/replated.

Jim

Smith and Wesson- another number search

I also am interested in learning the age of a gun I been offered. It's a S & W 38 Special Model 64-5 and BBF9. It's a 4" stainless steel. Any idea of what it is worth also? I've read some other threads and people say it's a good gun.

It would be my first gun and I'm leaning towards a revolver, but I fired it today and it felt a little heavy and was a stretch for my finger. I was able to pull the trigger but my arm hurt after about 16 shots. Pulling the trigger back is even harder for me to do. I need to strengthen my fingers I guess, but my hands are small. Any suggestions as to gun size- maybe a shorter barrel would be lighter?

thanks, bonnie

S/N for old SW revolver

Good day all. I have inherited an old S&W revolver 0.455 with a 6.5" barrel.The S/No. is 63xxx on the bottom of the grip and W4100 on the barrel.Can anybody give me an approximate age? I live in South Africa and such info is not available.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Smith and Wesson revolver ID please

I have an old S and W 38 special revolver, serial number 39xxx. Can anyone help with a date of manufacture?

I also am interested in learning the age of a gun I been offered. It's a S & W 38 Special Model 64-5 and BBF9. It's a 4" stainless steel. Any idea of what it is worth also? I've read some other threads and people say it's a good gun.

It would be my first gun and I'm leaning towards a revolver, but I fired it today and it felt a little heavy and was a stretch for my finger. I was able to pull the trigger but my arm hurt after about 16 shots. Pulling the trigger back is even harder for me to do. I need to strengthen my fingers I guess, but my hands are small. Any suggestions as to gun size- maybe a shorter barrel would be lighter?
July 1988. In good shape, about $300. Maybe more if better condition.
The model 64 is an excellent gun. It is built on S&W's "K" frame. A S&W "J" frame is the smallest size and would fit your hand better but the trigger might not be much lighter.
One option would be to have the trigger lightened by a competent gunsmith.
Another is to buy and use some type of grip strengthening device for your hand.
While not my area of expertise, many semi automatic pistols would offer a
lighter trigger pull. My Glocks trigger pull is half that of most of my revolvers but you would need the hand strength to operate the slide.
If you have a local range that rents guns I would suggest talking to them and trying a few different guns.
Good luck.

Good day all. I have inherited an old S&W revolver 0.455 with a 6.5" barrel.The S/No. is 63xxx on the bottom of the grip and W4100 on the barrel.Can anybody give me an approximate age? I live in South Africa and such info is not available.
.455 Mark II Hand Ejector, 2nd Model. SN's ran from ~6000 in 1915 to 74755 in 1917.

I have an old S and W 38 special revolver, serial number 39xxx. Can anyone help with a date of manufacture?
Assuming you took the serial number from the bottom of the grip butt and there is no letter prefix near it... and it's a 6 shot, not 5, then...
.38 Military and Police Model of 1902, 1st Change. SN's ran from 33804 in 1903 to 62449 in 1904.

Jim

Last edited:
Model 19-4

Jim, I just got a S&W Model 19-4 on a trade. The serial # is: 68K9515 can I get the born on date? Thanks for all of your help!

Yet another serial number

Hi,
I inherited a Smith and Wesson 44 Special with 6" barrel from my dad. He told me once that it was made just prior to the 44 magnum era. But he TOLD me lots of stuff! ;-) I can't see any markings about model number but the serial is S 138969. Opening the cylinder I see 54886 stamped.
Any help would be much appreciated. I was going to do some shooting with it, but I was told it might be good to be sure that it was not "to valuable to shoot" It's in real nice condition. Dad used to let me clean it while we watched Gunsmoke on Saturday nights. Thanks!

Hi,
I inherited a Smith and Wesson 44 Special with 6" barrel from my dad. He told me once that it was made just prior to the 44 magnum era. But he TOLD me lots of stuff! ;-) I can't see any markings about model number but the serial is S 138969. Opening the cylinder I see 54886 stamped.
Any help would be much appreciated. I was going to do some shooting with it, but I was told it might be good to be sure that it was not "to valuable to shoot" It's in real nice condition. Dad used to let me clean it while we watched Gunsmoke on Saturday nights. Thanks!
SN puts it at 1955. If it has a fixed notch rear sight it's a 44 Hand Ejector 4th Model Military (pre model 21). Adjustable rear sight would be a 4th Model Target (pre model 24).
As far as "to valuable to shoot", the value is heavily dependent on condition. Assuming little/no blueing wear the book list:
The Military has a value of ~ $3000 in excellent condition.
The Target is ~$1000+ in excellent.
BTW, the barrel length is measured from the face of the cylinder to the end of the muzzle. It's most likely 6.5".

Jim

Last edited:
S & W 36 nickle

I picked this beautiful nickel model 36 up from a gun show this past weekend. It is a square butt with serial # 4J46XX and was wondering its year of manufacture. Thanks in advance for the help.

After looking through the many posts, it seems it must be a 1971-1972, but I am unsure. Can I shoot +p as well?

Last edited:
I picked this beautiful nickel model 36 up from a gun show this past weekend. It is a square butt with serial # 4J46XX and was wondering its year of manufacture. Thanks in advance for the help.

After looking through the many posts, it seems it must be a 1971-1972, but I am unsure. Can I shoot +p as well?
You're right 71/72. It's not rated for +P and if you ask S&W they'll tell you no. That said, being all steel you can shoot +P in it.

Jim

Need help dating a Smith & Wesson M&P .38 spl

New to this site, pls excuse awkwardness...
I have a Smith & Wesson Military Police revolver in .38 Smith & Wesson Special caliber. It came to me in a gold box with embossed revolver on the cover. The gun is in great condition - almost too good to be true.
The serial number is 822018 stamped on the bottom of the grip frame. Also stamped there preceding but separated from the numbers is the letter "S".
It has a five inch barrel, and round-top front sight. The walnut grips are in excellent condition. Actually, overall, I'd judge this to be in near excellent condition, with 98% blue. After examining the stamped S&W symbol and letters, I believe the blue to be original (the gun has not been reblued).
I'd like to know how old is this revolver. Could anyone provide a date of manufacture?
Thanks for any help.
MAK

WOW

I'll bet you guys don't even have to look in the book anymore after all this. Awesome! My question is: does having a nickel finish preclude the gun from being a police model? I have a .38 special, serial #470866 (no letter prefix) square butt I think, from granddaddy. It has a nickel finish (whats left of it), and I have no idea how old it is?

Hi. I have a Mod. 36 s/n J592xxx can you help me with the date?

Can one easily tell if it is nickle as opposed to stainless? Also, I noticed that the frame provides for a fuller grip than my other Mod. 36. What is the deal with that?

Thank you.

Back