Smith and Wesson serial number search

How about these?

S & W model 51 #M44xxx

and

S & W .38 Military & Police Second model - 1st change (I belive) #55xxx

Thanks
Rick

Just purchased a feeler gauge and ran the .004 and .003 through the gap (barrel/cylinder) and it's snug. Would this be causing the binding issue after it gets warm?

Ken

Just purchased a feeler gauge and ran the .004 and .003 through the gap (barrel/cylinder) and it's snug. Would this be causing the binding issue after it gets warm?
No. My two Freedom Arms revolvers will not accept a .002" gage and have no issues when hot. However, if that was your problem, you would see the contact/drag marks on the face of the cylinder.
When it binds up, can you open the cylinder?

Jim

Ya, I'm not seeing marks. Checked for those last night as well because I suspected that I would see them, too. This one has me stumped...hopefully it's just the yoke screw. :confused:

Family heirloom

Hi all... my little brother just received a S&W revolver that belonged to our grandfather who passed a few years back. He was a police chief in Washington State and it was his duty pistol.

I have not seen it and could only get the following info from my brother.

.38 cal

Markings and serial #

CDG

C540xxx

any help would be greatly appreciated

One more, this time for a friend of mine:

M31-1 (it says " A 77 31-1 "), s/n 673xxx, round butt, 3" barrel, cal 32S&W Long. I guess this is an "I" frame.

Thank you

.38 cal

Markings and serial #

CDG

C540xxx
Post war Military and Police. "K" frame. Made 1960. The model number (most likely 10) should be stamped on the frame underneath the cylinder yoke, visable when cylinder is open.

M31-1 (it says " A 77 31-1 "), s/n 673xxx, round butt, 3" barrel, cal 32S&W Long. I guess this is an "I" frame.
Well... according to the book, 31-1 started 1961 as a "J" frame at serial number 712954. Your serial number dates it to late 50's as a "I" frame but that's before the -1 change. So.... I dunno.
Might be a good question to ask on the S&W forum.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

Jim

Thank you Jim.....

...I will talk to my friend, the owner, and will check s/n and model..and will revert if a mistake is found. Otherwise will ask on S&W forum, as per your suggestion.

Appreciate your kind help.
Ignacio

Back