Smith and Wesson serial number search

RE: 38/44 heavy duty S1547xx. I purchased the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, 3rd Edition, Supica to give my Dad and am finding lots of interesting information but I don't see anything that tells me serial numbers versus manufacture dates. Where can I find a source that gives S&W info by serial number?
Pages 395 to 401 in the 3rd. edition.

Jim

Smith 27-2 nickel 357 mag

This is a pin barrel SN 36xxx, I believe it is early 60's. Any help would be appreciated. :D

This is a pin barrel SN 36xxx, I believe it is early 60's.
I assume you to mean "N" 36xxx. 27-2 serial numbers would begin with a "S" or a "N" and would be located on the bottom of the grip frame (target grips would have to be removed to see it) and sometimes on the forward frame under the cylinder yoke assembly above the model number (cylinder would need to be open to see it).
Serial numbers N1 to N99999 were used from 1969 to 1972. So, N36xxx would be ~1970.

Jim

I need some help. I can't figure out what model this S&W is. It was given to me and I figured it would be good to learn. I think it's a Model 13 (I think) or Model 10, but don't know revolvers that well. They have the same model, but different caliber, right?

Description:

Barrel 4" S&W 357 MAGNUM
Double action
Fixed sights
6-shot
K-Frame
S/N: D770XXX

Last edited:
Being a 357 would make it a model 13. Model 10 would be a 38 spl.
Small numbers of .357Mag M10s have been made for law-enforcement special orders, AFAIK always with tapered barrels. However, these guns are rarities; the odds are overwhelming that it's an M13.

Check inside the yoke cut. You should see a model number stamped in the format "MOD. 10-x", the "x" being the engineering revision number. The first number is the model.

Can anyone do a serial number verification that S&W made Serial # DCM6xxx in the last year?

I have one of the 642's that were recently released that are blessedly without the internal lock. The frame is marked 642-1, and I was under the impression that the IL modification was demarked with a 642-2 monicker.

Would this constitute the first time in S&W's history that they have reverse-incremented a model subnumber designation?

Can anyone do a serial number verification that S&W made Serial # DCM6xxx in the last year?

I have one of the 642's that were recently released that are blessedly without the internal lock. The frame is marked 642-1, and I was under the impression that the IL modification was demarked with a 642-2 monicker.

Would this constitute the first time in S&W's history that they have reverse-incremented a model subnumber designation?
Too new for any of the books. You'd have to call S&W customer service on it.
I'm glad to see Smith is starting to move away from the locks. I hope they expand the number of models without it.

Jim

This isn't what happened - what they did was actually release some 642-1's. These were earlier frames that had been around quite a few years. This is a NOT uncommon S&W practice. I believe they are also J frames, not J-magnum frames.

If you have the box, look at the 4-digit number after the serial number. The last 3 digits are the exact packaging date numbered consecutively from the start of the year.

FWIW my M638 has a prefix of DBD and it was packaged in August 2007.
Aside from the practice of finishing frames that were made earlier, S&W has also concurrently produced model revisions with minor differences, even when the second revision was supposed to "replace" the first. For instance, according to people on the S&W forum, some M10-4s with the earlier-style narrow front sight were produced years after M10-5 production began. This is thought to have been done for law-enforcement special orders.
My 19-3
S/n 3k82***

help?

Ok, I was just given this gun. I know little to nothing about it and was wondering if any one here could help me out a little bit

Ok, on the top it reads " Smiths new model"

on the handle is says " OAS "

and i have a 4 digit serial number on the bottom of the bottom of the handle.

View attachment 35023

Last edited by a moderator:
Back