Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hi guys.

I picked up a S&W .38 special revolver from a local pawn shop last week and I've been trying to date it. There are a number of patents on the top of the barrel, the latest one is Sept. 14. 09 which I mistook to mean a more modern gun, but now I'm pretty sure that would be 1909. If that's the case, I think I got a pretty good deal on it.

Anyway, the serial number is 2397**, there is also a number under the hinge of the cylinder that reads 6126. Anyone know around what timeframe I'm looking at, and maybe a model number?

Hello,

My father has a Smith and Wesson 38/44 Heavy Duty that he says is a "transition model". I haven't seen it so I don't know the barrel lenght or whether is has adjustable sites but I can get that info from him if necessary. The serial number is BACX46"xxx". The B is circled. Can anyone tell me the history of this gun?

Thanks in advance.

My bad, that B number is not the serial number. I've got a call into my Dad to get the serial number. The BACX46"xxx" number is stamped on the left side of the frame of the gun and my Dad wants to know what that number means.

Thanks.

Ok, I got the serial number, S1547xx.

If someone will be kind enough to help me I'll be grateful. If anyone is interested in making an offer I will give my Dad's phone #.

Thanks

Ok, I got the serial number, S1547xx.
S1547XX = 1956. The transition models were mid to late 1940's.
The value depends heavily on the guns condition. Good pictures would be required. Depending on features, any finish wear, original finish, original grips, barrel length, sights, original box, etc will effect value which can range from a few hundred to $1500+.
The 38/44 is a 44 cal sized "N" frame chambered in 38spl. It was designed to shoot hot 38spl loads.

Jim

I picked up a S&W .38 special revolver from a local pawn shop last week and I've been trying to date it. There are a number of patents on the top of the barrel, the latest one is Sept. 14. 09 which I mistook to mean a more modern gun, but now I'm pretty sure that would be 1909. If that's the case, I think I got a pretty good deal on it.

Anyway, the serial number is 2397**, there is also a number under the hinge of the cylinder that reads 6126. Anyone know around what timeframe I'm looking at, and maybe a model number
It sounds like a 38 military and police. The serial number places it as a 3rd. change made between 1909 and 1915. However, a good picture would help to be certain.

Jim

I picked up a S&W .38 special revolver from a local pawn shop last week and I've been trying to date it. There are a number of patents on the top of the barrel, the latest one is Sept. 14. 09... Anyway, the serial number is 2397**... Anyone know around what timeframe I'm looking at, and maybe a model number?
Your gun is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 3rd Change. This model was made from 1909 to 1915, and yours falls near the end of the serial number range, so it was theoretically built closer to 1915.

Two important notes:

1) As previously noted in this thread, keep this gun far, far away from +P ammo!

2) This gun predates the S&W hammer block safety. I believe that the 3rd Change has a coil-spring-actuated rebound slide with a hump to keep the hammer from pivoting unless the trigger is pulled (like all modern S&Ws), but since it lacks the hammer block, it could theoretically discharge if it's dropped on the hammer hard enough to shear off the hammer pivot pin. :eek: Be careful handling this gun when it's loaded, and always make sure it's securely holstered.

S&W Mod 65

I have a stainless 4" bbl. S&W Model 65 .357 Magnum. It is s/n 7D64xxx. The markings inside the crane say "Mod 65-2"

Can anyone help me place this to the time when it was manufactured?

38/44 Serial #S1547xx

LaytonJ1,

Thanks for your response. I haven't seen the revolver yet so I don't know its condition but I know my Dad doesn't have the box.

Any idea what the heck all those other numbers are? On the left frame is BACX461xx with the B circled and on the yoke is X690xx.

Thanks.

BTW my dad is a Korean War veteran and was assigned to the 5th Regimental Combat Team. Searchlight6 was one of his radio call names.

Any idea what the heck all those other numbers are? On the left frame is BACX461xx with the B circled and on the yoke is X690xx.
The number inside the yoke is an assembly number. It is arbitrary and meaningless after the gun leaves the factory; refer earlier in the thread.

The BACX designation was applied by a former owner of the gun. I have no idea what it means. Old revolvers are commonly marked with abbreviations for law enforcement agencies, military forces (including foreign ones due to surplus sales), and railroads. (Mail used to be moved primarily on passenger trains, and it was common practice for at least one- if not all- of the employees aboard the mail car to be armed. Railroads also used to, and in some cases still have, private police forces.) However, the BACX abbreviation does not ring a bell.

Thank you LaytonJ1 for your quick reply of "1981" on my question about the "stainless 4" bbl. S&W Model 65 .357 Magnum, s/n 7D64xxx, with crane markings of 'Mod 65-2'."

Carguychris,

Re: S&W 38/44 with BACX#### on the left frame - based on your reference to railroads, I checked with a railroad expert friend of mine who said that BACX sounded like a "railroad reporting mark" I found that BACX is the railroad report mark for Merchants Despatch Transportation Corporation (CA Burnette Co Inc) and ACX is the reporting mark for Associated Cooperatives Inc 7/1953; 7/1954-4/1961. I haven't been able to find anything about these companies related to sidearms or otherwise. Maybe somebody else knows something more. Thanks for your response.

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a S&W Model 15-3 with a 4" barrel. The serial number is 6K980**. I'd really like to know its date of manufacture and any other relevant info.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
LaytonJ1,

RE: 38/44 heavy duty S1547xx. I purchased the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, 3rd Edition, Supica to give my Dad and am finding lots of interesting information but I don't see anything that tells me serial numbers versus manufacture dates. Where can I find a source that gives S&W info by serial number?

In the mean time while I still have the Standard Cat in my hands I'll be glad to look some things up as time allows.

Previous post, what info were you looking for on your model 15-3?

I've had this one about 20 years and was told it was a police trade in.
(Bobbed hammer is not factory, I did it)

Smith & Wesson Model 66-2

SWM66.jpg

Underneath the yoke on the frame is:
ABY05XX (XX's for the last two numbers)
MOD. 66-2

But there are numbers and symbols all over the frame under the grip!

One the yoke itself is:
B23

Under the grip on the left side is:
B23
F2
and a LARGE S

Under the grip on the right side is:
A large Q inside a circle
A triangle symbol with a V inside it
and 07566

Any help on year and what all these symbols are would truly be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back