Smith and Wesson serial number search

"Too new" is close enough for me :D.

I really thought it might be older because it doesn't have a lock.

Thanks,

Best,

Will

old .38 help

I recently inherited a .38 special snub nose revolver. There are no distinguishing marks that i can see. I have searched the internet high and low and this forum seems to have the best info. The serial for the firearm is 1235xx. if you could help identify the model and DOB for me, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

"Too new" is close enough for me .

I really thought it might be older because it doesn't have a lock.
You know what, after seeing your comment about it not having a lock, I looked up the history on the model 317 and found out that a small number were shipped in March of 1997 with the LGT prefix (which was not listed in the serial number section).
My mistake.

Jim

I recently inherited a .38 special snub nose revolver. There are no distinguishing marks that i can see. I have searched the internet high and low and this forum seems to have the best info. The serial for the firearm is 1235xx.
To start, does anything on it identify it as a S&W revolver? If yes, is it a 5 shot or 6 shot? What exactly is the caliber marking on the barrel? And did you take the serial number from the underside of the frames grip butt and include any letter prefixes.

Jim

old 38 ID

I am sorry. it Does have smith and Wesson Stamped on it. The barrel on one side has 38 s&w special stamped and the other just has smith and Wesson. It is a 5 shot, it has two different number sets. On the bottom of the butt and the backside of the wood grips it is stamped 1235XX. However on the frame and cylinder carrier it is stamped 578XX. There is a "floating" L above the 578XX set. It may have been a police or military issue but I'm not sure. I hope this info helps a little. Thank you again.

I have an old S&W DA45, US Army model 1917. Serial #97XXX. Small walnut grips, swivel sling hook on butt. Can anyone tell me the yr of manuf.?
Thx,

JP

it Does have smith and Wesson Stamped on it. The barrel on one side has 38 s&w special stamped and the other just has smith and Wesson. It is a 5 shot, it has two different number sets. On the bottom of the butt and the backside of the wood grips it is stamped 1235XX.
Chiefs Special (pre model 36) made in 1957.

I have an old S&W DA45, US Army model 1917. Serial #97XXX. Small walnut grips, swivel sling hook on butt. Can anyone tell me the yr of manuf.?
Between Sept. 1917 to Jan. 1919.

Jim

I just got back from the local gun show, I bought a M66 w/ stainless sites ($425) to accompany my M66-1 in my safe. Can someone help me with the date of birth on both of my M66's?

M66: 4K578XX

M66-1: 69K66XX

S&W 39

Hello, I have a Smith and Wesson Model 39 with serial number 672xx. Could anyone help me to place a date to this pistol? Thanks.

jhazuga

s & w model 10

i have a smith wesson special s/n 08444xx i am trying to find out about how old it is and any other info can you help thanks jeff

i have a smith wesson special s/n 08444xx
If that 0 is actually a D then D8444XX would be 1975/76.
If not, then take the serial number from the underside of the frames grip butt and include any letter prefix.

Jim

Hey everyone...my name is Brian.This is my first time posting here,so I thought I should introduce myself first. I've enjoyed reading the forums on here for the last few days.

I have a S&W 38 Special CTG that I just purchased from someone.I'd love to have some more info on this gun if any of you could help me. It is a Model 10-6 and is Nickel plated.Smooth wood handle.The serial number is C9746xx.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
nchellbilly: Your Model 10 is from the same period as blamm123's: 1966 to 1967. His is toward the front of the serial number range used in those years, so 1966 is more likely - yours is toward the end of the range, so more likely 1967. The 10-6 was introduced in 1962 when S&W dropped the screw in front of the trigger guard, resulting in the so called "3-screw" configuration that is still used today. It remained in production until 1977 when the 10-8 replaced it (the 10-4/5 and 10-7 models had the tapered barrel, but were otherwise identical to the 10-6 and 10-8, respectively).

The grips on your gun are the smooth K-frame target grips (you can see that the grips are larger than the frame, covering the butt - the standard service grips left the butt exposed). They're somewhat less common than the service and checkered target grips - I have them on a couple of my K-frames and I like them very much.

The grips on your gun are the smooth K-frame target grips (you can see that the grips are larger than the frame, covering the butt - the standard service grips left the butt exposed). They're somewhat less common than the service and checkered target grips - I have them on a couple of my K-frames and I like them very much.
FWIW the stocks are most likely not original to the gun. S&W almost never put target stocks on fixed-sight revolvers.

The original stocks should have the numerical portion of the serial number (omitting the "C" prefix) under the RH panel.

Back