Smith and Wesson serial number search

Hey guys I just got my first S&W and was wondering if it was ok to shoot +p ammo through it. It is a 64-5 with a serial number of cbp91XX. Also don't know what year it was made.
S&W's stance is that steel K frames made after 1958 are okay to use +P but with the caveat that it can accelerate wear.

Jim

Smith & Wesson .38 Special cta

I am doing some reseach for a friend and her father has a Smith and Wesson .38 special c.t.a Serial #568xxx, also he was wondering the gun has 3 notches in the gun. He heard that it meant that was the number of men he killed. Is this true? Any information will help. Thanks

I am doing some reseach for a friend and her father has a Smith and Wesson .38 special c.t.a Serial #568xxx...
Does the gun hold 5 rounds or 6, and does the serial number have an alphabetical prefix? And what does "c.t.a." mean- is that an abbreviation stamped somewhere on the gun?
...also he was wondering the gun has 3 notches in the gun. He heard that it meant that was the number of men he killed. Is this true?
Who knows? :confused:

Hi all, I just picked up a S&W Model 25 "45 cal. Model 1955" (25-2), serial number N379XXX. The frame is stamped 66X63. Aside from missing the manual it came with the original presentation box and accessories. What can you tell me about it?

Hi all, I just picked up a S&W Model 25 "45 cal. Model 1955" (25-2), serial number N379XXX. The frame is stamped 66X63. Aside from missing the manual it came with the original presentation box and accessories. What can you tell me about it?
I can tell you it's a really nice gun and was made in 1975/76.

Jim

DSCN0774-1.jpg

1964-65 S&W M36, square butt, diamond stocks, sculpted latch

I have one of those from 1975 (N3008XX). It's scary accurate and one of my favorite revolvers to take to the range. I'm not a big fan of moon clips, so I reload .45 AR for it.

smith&wesson model 66 4" year made?

9k4505 got it from a ex M.S.H.P nice piece. i know its not worth much but its not for sale. im a smith&wesson nut. just wondering the year it was made. thanks again.

awsome. thanks.. i guess its worth about $400.00 its 85% with factory target grips. they are the same grip as my 629. and my wife was born in 1976 to kool. thanks again.

Can we date autoloaders also?

I just picked up a sweet model 4566 .45 Auto. Serial # is VLM51XX. Does anyone know when it was made?

SCSW has much less detailed info on semiautos, but it appears that yours would be in the 1994-96 timeframe.

.38 S&W CTG

What gun would a serial number of 221757 be? It's a five-shot break action revolver with a squeeze safety. A relative gave it to me, and I'd like to find the history out.

Thanks.

.38 S&W CTG
What gun would a serial number of 221757 be? It's a five-shot break action revolver with a squeeze safety. A relative gave it to me, and I'd like to find the history out.
.38 Safety Hammerless 5th Model.
Serial numbers ran from 220000 in 1907 to 261493 in 1940.

Jim

Airweight 38 spl.ctg.

Model 37 serial# ADA8xxx. Thanks, I found this thread today and have been reading it all morning.

Model 37 serial# ADA8xxx.

Please check again, my book does not show an "ADA" prefix.

The list doesn't cover every three-letter prefix, it only gives the prefix they were using at certain points in time. It lists "ABL" as Jan 1983 and "ADE" as Oct 1983, so we can infer that ADA was used between those two dates.

Back