Smith and Wesson serial number search

Atari,

I think its 1986/1987. The book isnt very clear to me on the serial# (lots of missing letter data). Interesting though as the detail info for the 686 itself says the -1 (dash one) started in 1986.

Can I ask you for help? Do you know how to reply with a quote? The option doesnt appear on your post for me to hit "quote" like I would expect. Is it because I dont have a long post history?

Jad,

The N5xxxx is '78-'80, but prob closer to '78.
The N1xxxx is 1973 for sure

Do you have any ideas why the "quote" wont work for me?

Thank you Laytonj1, appreciate you posting up. So probably around 1977-78. Any idea what the lettering color should be on the barrel and such? Does red seem like the right color from the factory? Were there different colors or all the same?

Any idea what the lettering color should be on the barrel and such? Does red seem like the right color from the factory? Were there different colors or all the same?
No color would be correct. It was common, however for owners to use paint sticks to highlight the rollmarked lettering.

Some current production guns from S&W do come with highlighted lettering where the lettering is laser etched (such as the model 41, 329, etc).

Jim

Last edited:
Can I ask you for help? Do you know how to reply with a quote? The option doesnt appear on your post for me to hit "quote" like I would expect. Is it because I dont have a long post history?

Tall Pine,

From what I can tell, the only way to quote is by using the "quote" tool button while writing a message. Then paste the quoted text into the post. Not exactly straight forward.

Can I ask you for help? Do you know how to reply with a quote?
Hit Post Reply, cut and paste what you want to quote to the new post, then highlight it, then click on the QUOTE icon (third character from right on the bottom row of the tool bar, looks like a flag).

Jim

No color would be correct. It was common, however for owners to use paint sticks to highlight the rollmarked lettering.

Some current production guns from S&W do come with highlighted lettering where the lettering is laser etched (such as the model 41, 329, etc).

Jim

Thank you, Jim. Red lettering on mine, most likely post factory then?

S & W Model 65-6 Search

Hello to all and Happy New Year,

First time post and new to the site. I just purchased a like new S & W Model 65-6, Serial number CEK2XXX. I read almost every post on this thread yesterday and know the gun is newer than 2000. Can anyone give me the BOD, and can you tell me what the -6 in the Model number designates?

Thank You for the Help!

Badco6354: Welcome to The Firing Line! The CEK prefix would indicate late 2000 or early 2001. The "dash" number added to the basic model number indicates a (usually minor) design or engineering change - the 65-6 came out in 1997 and included a change in the cylinder stop design, MIM hammer with floating firing pin, and changes to the internal lockwork.

Last edited:
Hit Post Reply, cut and paste what you want to quote to the new post, then highlight it, then click on the QUOTE icon (third character from right on the bottom row of the tool bar, looks like a flag).

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Model 48-4 92K1432

38 special S 900500

Thanks alot
Tyson

The 48-4 is definately a 1981

The 39 spl appears to be a 1952/1953. Note that you have 6 numerical digits where the book indicates there should be only 5. I dont see an S prefix starting with a numerical 9 that has six numerical digits after the S. Could that last 0 not really be there?

There are 6 numerical digit S prefixes but none of them start with a 9; the highest is a 3.

serial number

The S is way over to the front of the butt and seperate from the serial number.
The 0 is there. Its a nickel finish.

thanks,
Tyson

Last edited:
Model 85-6

Thanks Flyfish,

I noticed when I reviewed the post on this thread that you seemed to be one of the resident experts on S & W Serial numbers. This is my first S & W revolver. I got what I consider a good deal, ($350), and look forward to shooting the gun! This will be a nice complement to my 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP semi autos. My collection is complete. (until I find something else I have to have! :) )

Thanks again.

Back