Smith and Wesson serial number search

have a cherry S&W Mdl 27 3 1/2" Blue, smooth trigger, semi target hammer. Ser #
N-2154XX
also a S%W Mdl 629-5 Mountain gun Round butt . both were gifts from an uncle who passed.
Those 3.5" 27's are sweet guns!
N2154XX = 1974/75.
629-5's were made from 1997 to 2001.

Jim

38 S. & W. Special CTG

I just found my grandfathers S&W .38 Special in our garage. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when this model was made as well as how to restore it to make it look good again. The serial number on the bottom is S 907833. It has a fair amount of rust on it. I have also attached a few pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The serial number on the bottom is S 907833.
You have a 38 Military and Police Postwar.
The "S" serial prefixes ran from S811120 in 1945 to S999999 in 1948.

Because of the rust the value would be low. A quality, professional bluing job can run about $200 dollars but, while there are methods to remove the rust there could be pitting underneath that a polishing job will not remove.
I'd suggest taking it to a local gunsmith knowledgeable of refinishing to get an idea of other finish options you could try.

Jim

Since the thread is here..well I would like to know about two S&W guns

One is a Model 25-5 bearing serial number N678303

The other is a model 66 bearing SN 7K84563

Thanks in advance

tgsavell:
You have a .38 Military & Police model of 1905 4th Change manufactured between 1939 & 1942.

oldman1946:
Your model 25-5 dates to 1979-1980, your model 66 most likely dates to 1975 (there are some gaps in the serial ranges given in the standard catalog of S&W for that year, your gun falls in one of those gaps).

Please help me date this S&W

It is a Model 10-7 serial number AFW06xx. Thank you. I'm going to go buy the book later today.

Thanks again
Boxcarjack :D

date and model number (if applicable) for inherited S&W?

hi folks. curious to know the year of manufacture and model # (if applicable) for a 38 S&W Special i inherited.

serial # C 243xxx (number on butt of gun, last 3 Xed out)

thanks in advance for any assistance.

hi folks. curious to know the year of manufacture and model # (if applicable) for a 38 S&W Special i inherited.

serial # C 243xxx
.38 Military and Police. Became the model 10 when S&W started assigning model numbers around 1958.

Jim

S&W Model 15-3

I'm happy to have stumbled on to this thread.

My grandfather left me a blued Smith and Wesson model 15-3 with a 4" barrel. Serial number 1K10XXX. The barrel reads .38 S.&W. Special CTG and it has a target hammer, trigger and adjustable sights.

When was this pistol manufactured? I appreciate your help and information.

Help Please ?!?!

I inherited a Smith and Wesson 38 Special from my step grandfather. I has some rough spots on it, but it doesn't look like rust. It does have a nice picture of a S and a W on top of each other in a circle. At the top of the circle it reads "trade" and at the bottom it reads "Mark". On one side of the barrell it reads 38 S.&W. Special CTG. On the other side of the barrell it is spelled out "Smith & Wesson". The serial number on the bottom of the handle is 4D79765 / I would appreciate it so much if someone could give me some insight on when this was made, view the pics and offer an estimate on about how much it is worth. Thanks in advance, I will be so thankful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back