Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks for the info. I am at work now and will check again on the 4 or 2 numbers. If I understand right if it is either one the year and price really does not change . Again thanks, and I think I will just keep the S&W. Also the gun is in perfect shape.

Last edited:
Radagast-A friend just purchased a S&W 19-3 2" with a serial #5K72xxx. Would you please tell me the DOB. It would be greatly appreciated-Thanx

Year of this model 67

serial# 3K60376 combat masterpiece .38spl. Thanks

also model 66-1 combat magnum serial#89K3649

Last edited:
Help with DOB S&W

I'm fortunate to have found this forum. I would like to know what kind of S&W revolver I have and what year if possible.
It has a four inch barrel, double action, fixed sights, swing out ejector cylinder, no safety that I can see.

Right side of barrel stamped Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA. Last pat'd year Sept. 14-09 there is one Maltese cross at the beginning and at the end of the stamping.

Left side of barrel starts with a engraving mark than 38 S&W special CTG and again the engraving mark.

I found the serial number after taking off the grips on the bottom of the frame the first three numbers are 227, a matching number was located on the underside of the barrel visible when you slide the cylinder away only there is a letter B about one 1/4 inch in front of the number.

After examining the frame where the nipples are to align the grips there is a letter E and above that is I believe a #8. Also this is a round butt five screw revolver.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Jake in AZ

Last edited:
joelsteinbach: 1972. With the right gunsmith and sufficient $ you can do just about anything, but it may not be cost-effective. What type of change are you looking to make?

I would like to add a bright (tru glo) front sight, It appearts that the front blade may be just forced, or friction fit. I shoot 148 HBWC and can only properly use them with a 38 spec. If I use this round in any of my 357's it tends to affect the fuction of the weapon after 30 or 40 rounds.

I'm looking for some info on a .22 7 round revolver my dad got from his dad. I have S&W markings on the top of the barrel "Smith & Wesson Springfield MA" with a patent number under it. On the side of the barrel it says 22 S&W CTG and on the base the serial number looks to be 3272.

I would like to add a bright (tru glo) front sight, It appearts that the front blade may be just forced, or friction fit.
The front sight blades on later S&W's (like yours) are either pinned or forged as a one piece part of the barrel. If one piece a gunsmith would have to cut off the blade and mill a slot into the base and fit/pin a new blade in.
I'm looking for some info on a .22 7 round revolver my dad got from his dad. I have S&W markings on the top of the barrel "Smith & Wesson Springfield MA" with a patent number under it. On the side of the barrel it says 22 S&W CTG and on the base the serial number looks to be 3272.
Is it a tip-up barrel with a spur trigger (no trigger guard)? What are the patent dates?

Jim

Jim it looks exactly like this except it looks like a blue finish.

4fdd6fbd220e26b63a7c9a5aa88f5f31.jpg

Patent dates look like Aug 14, 1900 and Oct 1901

Christobal65: That's a .22 Ladysmith 1st Model, made from 1902 to 1906. It's built on the "M" frame, which is the smallest frame used for S&W Hand Ejectors. According to SCSW, the SN range was from 1 to 4575, so presumably that's how many were made. Prices range from a few hundred $ to a few thousand $, depending on condition.

Back