Smith and Wesson serial number search

S&W serial # search

Recently my elderly father sold to me the first handgun I ever shot - S&W Model 28-2 serial # N303XX. Each time I ask my Dad when he bought the gun new he gives me a different date - anywhere between the late 50’s to the late 60's. His inability to pin down a year has sparked my interest in how long this gun been in our family. Any help you could give me is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Grandfather's S&W Model 37 Airweight.

Hi. I recently received my grandfathers S&W Model 37 Airweight 38 SPL CTG. It is a snubnose. Looks to be about a 1 inch barrel. Serial # is 650XXX.
Thanks for the help.
G

EricQC: 1969-1972. That assumes you have the right number of "X"s, i.e., the SN is N plus 5 digits. They also used "N" with 6 digits, in which case an "N3XXXXX" would be from the 1975-76 period.

G-9: Your Model 37 dates from the 1962-1969. The barrel length on revolvers is measured from the forcing cone (i.e., from the front of the cylinder) - yours should be 2".

S&W Model 37

Thank you very much flyfish. It will be a nice keepsake.
It is in good condition and shoote very well.
Thanks again.
G-9

38 S&W

Hoping someone can help me date a gun that was originally my grandfathers. It is a .38 and hinges open. The numbers 22070 appear at the bottom of the grip and at two other locations that I found. On the top of the barrel is says "Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass USA Pat'd FEBY 20.77. DEC 18.77. MAY 11.80 SEPT 11.83 OCT 2.83 TWO AUG 4. 85" Those are the only writings that are visible. I suppose I could snap some pictures if it would help.

Thanks

can any one help me get the model number and age of my .32 short SN 243
I assume by .32 short you mean .32 S&W? Is it a break open design? Double action or single action? With hammer or hammerless? Any other info you can provide.

Edit: I noticed in another thread you listed the SN as 243***. How many digits does it have, any letters also?
Hoping someone can help me date a gun that was originally my grandfathers. It is a .38 and hinges open. The numbers 22070 appear at the bottom of the grip and at two other locations that I found.
Same as above, double action or single action? With hammer or hammerless?
Pictures always help.

Jim

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson age

Thanks for the reply Laytonj1.

The gun is hammerless. There is no way to cock the gun without pulling the trigger. Is this double action? I will research how to post a picture. As my name implies....I am a novice. Hopefully this will help.

I have a similar firearm to novice1970. 38 top break, but with a hammer. Nickle plated, double action. The serial number is 125877 on the bottom of the handle and as far as I can tell it's the only number. Does anyone know what the age is on this gun?

Novice1970:
You have a .38 Safety Hammerless 2nd Model manufactured between 1887 & 1890. This is a black powder gun, shooting modern smokeless ammunition through it will hasten wear.

Unfettered_Might:
I am assuming your gun has some S&W markings on it, if so it is a .38 Double Action 3rd Model manufactured between 1884 & 1895. Serial range started at 119001 so it's a safe bet your gun was made in 1884 or 1885.

smith & wesson serial number

I have 2 J-frame smiths. One is a model 60 stainless with serial #R219183 and the other is a model 36 3" square butt with serial #J510428 and also have a S&W model 39 9mm with serial #64722. Can anyone narrow down the years that these were manufactured for me ? Thank You

S&W age

Layton1 and Radagast:

Thanks for the information. The history is very interesting. Any ideas on a value? Have either of you used S&W website to get a "Letter of Authenticity"? It seems like the letter would be a nice piece to have considering I do not intend to sell the gun and would rather pass it down to the next generation.

Smith & Wesson Age

I just purchased a beautiful S&W 38 Special CTG, model 10-8, with 4" heavy barrel at a local gun shop. I was told that it was manufactured in 1984, had never been sold or fired. and was still in it's original box. The butt serial no is 4D32067 (yoke ser no is 80252). I have no reason to doubt any of what I was told. Just curious if that 1984 date is an accurate one. Any help is most appreciated.

silverwings:

Mod. 60/R219183: 1978
Mod. 36/J510428: 1976-77 (pretty much right in the middle of the range for those years).
Mod. 39/64722: The info in SCSW is not very specific. SN 1001 was 1954, 115000 was 1970. You can interpolate between those two ends of the range and get an idea, but it will only be approximate.

yarman: 1979 (by 1984 they had switched over to the 3-letter SN prefix). Yours should also have a pinned barrel, which dates it to pre-1982. BTW, the number in the yoke is not an SN. That's called an assembly number and it's used to keep track of fitted parts during manufacture.

Back