Smith and Wesson serial number search

That's a very good question, Bill. The 60 was actually introduced in 1965, the 60-1 came along in '72, and the 60-2 was 1987. Both the -1 and the -2 were limited production special runs (171 and approx. 2500 pieces, each, respectively), so it appears that the "no dash" continued in production in parallel with the -1 and -2. The -3 came out in 1988, and I assume at that point all the 60s became 60-3.

There's no question that the "AND" prefix was used in 1986; the 3-character alpha prefix system for all S&W revolvers was initiated in 1980. As another check - look for a pinned barrel. That feature was dropped in 1982, so your revolver should not have one.

stoneyrok: You appear to have a Model 10, aka the .38 Military and Police. Based on the SN, the gun dates from 1979 and, because it has the bull barrel, it should be a Model 10-8 (the tapered barrel produced at the same time was the 10-7). If you swing the cylinder out and look at the area of the frame exposed thereby, you should see 10-8 stamped there, along with some other numbers that you can ignore.

There are a lot of Model 10s around, and due to the condition (that does look to me like rust on the cylinder), yours is probably worth no more than a couple hundred dollars.

THANK YOU

Wow flyfish, you are amazing! I swung it open like you sugested and saw the numbers you said to ignore, then saw the 10-8. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the fast resonse. A senior member like you is what is making this board so succussful! Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

If the M60 is a no dash, how could it have been made as late as 1986, though? The M60 was introduced in the 1970s.
To add to Flyfish's response, the 60-1 designated a 3" heavy barrel. 60-2 was a special run for the NYCPD. They were separate of the standard model 60. The standard 60 became the 60-3 in 1988 with the change to the new yoke retention system.
Other models of S&W also had different dash numbers running concurrently.

Jim

Try this one out...

28-2 N2938xx

...any google search on S&W serial numbers points right to this site...I read about 35 of the 94 pages, great read.

Glad to be a new member here. Have been looking for info on my S&W 29-2 serial #440***. This looks like the thread to find out. Thanks in advance and I look forward to all the great reading on this site.

Glad to be a new member here. Have been looking for info on my S&W 29-2 serial #440***.
If it has an "N" prefix, it was built circa 1970-1972, most likely 1972 because it's near the end of the quoted N1 – N60,000 serial number range. The Model 29 experienced a huge surge in popularity in 1971 due to movie featuring a fictional San Francisco police detective played by Clint Eastwood. ("I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky?") ;)

If there's no "N" prefix, you're probably looking at an assembly number, and the number you want is on the butt. You may have to remove the grips to see it.

Thanks Carguychris, that's some good information to get me started. Hopefully if anybody else has anything to add, I sure would appreciate it. Extra points to you for the Dirty quote!

I picked up a 649-3 in a trade today.
I have the original box, but there is no date.
The serial number is CEV5215.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

Back